2 night minimum

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We have a 2-night min for Columbus Day weekend. Just got a call and the person only wants one night. I recommended he call another inn. Hubs says, 'What did that guy want?' so I explained.
Hubs then said, 'Maybe Swirt sent him...'
wink_smile.gif

The majority of places I know have 2 night min. on weekends and they get it. You just have to stick to your guns on your policy. When it is PRIME season, you have to do that. We did it for fall foliage all of the month of OCT. If you see that say on Friday, you aren't full, then you COULD BEND your rules...if you wish.

i think i need to do this on weekends for the rest of the summer.
all the laundry and flipping the rooms is just too much for me.
i guess i could CHOOSE to make an exception if someone asks. hmmm it's pretty messy for the rest of the summer, not much i can probably do at this point.
do you get a lot of resistance?

i guess i could CHOOSE to make an exception if someone asks. hmmm it's pretty messy for the rest of the summer, not much i can probably do at this point.
do you get a lot of resistance?.
I thought about doing that for this summer. Hubs is sound asleep right now and I'm grimacing because I'M the one who is supposed to get a nap on Sunday! We're beat. I still have 2 loads of laundry to go INTO the washer. And guests are sitting in the living room so I hate to start hauling sheets out to fold in the kitchen. But they have to get done sometime!

We cannot afford to lose 50% of our guests by having a two night min. Both rooms in tonight are one night stays. I can't cut off my nose to spite my face. We get plenty of one nighters, we had some nice two night stays this weekend and it was great, but the party is over...back to reality for me.

LOL I didn't send him...but I can strongly recommend having a 2 night minimum if your area will support it (at least in season).

I thought about doing that for this summer. Hubs is sound asleep right now and I'm grimacing because I'M the one who is supposed to get a nap on Sunday! We're beat. I still have 2 loads of laundry to go INTO the washer. And guests are sitting in the living room so I hate to start hauling sheets out to fold in the kitchen. But they have to get done sometime!
Your dh just had that procedure...remember?
wink_smile.gif
He's probably not still 100%. I'm not saying that you're not totally beat, too but maybe he still needs to be cut some slack. Mine did hardly anything today & he's asleep sitting up on the couch in the den with the TV on. I'm waiting for guests to check in & chatting with our son. I've been running around all day...he did like 3 things today.

wink_smile.gif
He's probably not still 100%. I'm not saying that you're not totally beat, too but maybe he still needs to be cut some slack. Mine did hardly anything today & he's asleep sitting up on the couch in the den with the TV on. I'm waiting for guests to check in & chatting with our son. I've been running around all day...he did like 3 things today.
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Oh, yeah, right! Hey, the doc said he was 95%, I guess the 5% is what's asleep right now!

We cannot afford to lose 50% of our guests by having a two night min. Both rooms in tonight are one night stays. I can't cut off my nose to spite my face. We get plenty of one nighters, we had some nice two night stays this weekend and it was great, but the party is over...back to reality for me..
That's a decision only you can make. If you are comfortable with it that is fine. Friday & Sat were the 2 night min. I was referring to especially in peak season. It just got too much for me to handle during OCT, when I could easily fill every room every day. Didn't want to do that!!!!

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Oh, yeah, right! Hey, the doc said he was 95%, I guess the 5% is what's asleep right now!
Mine uses the 5% excuse all the time! HA!

If you are flipping that many one nighters, go for the 2 night minimum, at least on weekends, you'll be so happy you did, what about all the people who would stay an extra night just because it's your policy...some will and you will be happier and richer for it! If you have a good reputation, they'll book even with the minimum. Many of my guests have been glad to stay the extra night, because it made them slow down and not try to cram everything in and not get to enjoy the area, not to mention, all the ones who say, I wish I could stay an extra night or i wish I had booked another night...
I let them book the one nighter's the Monday prior to the weekend they are interested in.
Saturday Mornings with no rooms to flip, woo-hoo, PARTY!
thumbs_up.gif

It'll pay off, trust yourself! You can always go back if it doesn't work for you.

It'll pay off, trust yourself! You can always go back if it doesn't work for you.
Not if you are broke. If one nighters are messing up your two nighters, then make it a 2 night min. But you might be losing business. I cannot tell you the number of guests WE get because most places expect a 2 night stay. They are not full either. Be careful. You kinda know in your gut if you have bookings that will easily go toward a 2 night min.

I have had many calls that start with "Do you have a 2-night minimum?" or "Do you take a one night stay?" the sound of relief is palpable. They want a nice place, a B&B but are on the way to start a vacation, on the way home, have a family emergency to get to.... I set a 2-night minimum for Labor Day because there is so much going on here during those 4 days. For me, one-nighters is bread & butter. I get my share of 2-nights and this year have been surprised at the number of 3 and 4-nights.

I have had many calls that start with "Do you have a 2-night minimum?" or "Do you take a one night stay?" the sound of relief is palpable. They want a nice place, a B&B but are on the way to start a vacation, on the way home, have a family emergency to get to.... I set a 2-night minimum for Labor Day because there is so much going on here during those 4 days. For me, one-nighters is bread & butter. I get my share of 2-nights and this year have been surprised at the number of 3 and 4-nights..
it's hard!
what i may do is look at how busy we are and close off available rooms on the third floor when we are slammed - 8 rooms is 2 too many most of the time. right now i have 3 clean bath towels and 2 sets of sheets, all the rest are in midwash ... either here or out to the laundry. my knees ache and my feet hurt (old lady me!!!) all the bikers and bicyclers took multiple showers and washed their hair, had a grand time relaxing in robes and hair towels and now i am tapped out.
hmmmm ... whose place can i check into to sit around in a robe, hair up in a towel, and drink tea on a porch? hint hint
wink_smile.gif

this fall, when we close, i may book all over the place and do a road trip!!
~m*

I have had many calls that start with "Do you have a 2-night minimum?" or "Do you take a one night stay?" the sound of relief is palpable. They want a nice place, a B&B but are on the way to start a vacation, on the way home, have a family emergency to get to.... I set a 2-night minimum for Labor Day because there is so much going on here during those 4 days. For me, one-nighters is bread & butter. I get my share of 2-nights and this year have been surprised at the number of 3 and 4-nights..
it's hard!
what i may do is look at how busy we are and close off available rooms on the third floor when we are slammed - 8 rooms is 2 too many most of the time. right now i have 3 clean bath towels and 2 sets of sheets, all the rest are in midwash ... either here or out to the laundry. my knees ache and my feet hurt (old lady me!!!) all the bikers and bicyclers took multiple showers and washed their hair, had a grand time relaxing in robes and hair towels and now i am tapped out.
hmmmm ... whose place can i check into to sit around in a robe, hair up in a towel, and drink tea on a porch? hint hint
wink_smile.gif

~m*
I hope one stop is here for a few days.

it's hard!
wink_smile.gif

~m*
Come on down!! I'd better get those new robes pretty dang soon :)

it's hard!
wink_smile.gif

~m*
There is a place in the area here that closes off some rooms. They set it up so that the rooms closed off form sort of a cluster of rooms. That way if they get a request for a group, they swap them into the cluster and take 2 or 3 other rooms out of service. This way the group has rooms near each other. Not sure what your third floor looks like as far as rooms, but it might work for you.

One of the good new features on the upgraded Webervations is the ability to look at the traffic that is going to the booking engine in some detail, so you can see what dates, how many nights guests are requesting on your availability page, and in some cases what the result was. I pasted an example below. I can see that many potential guests search for one-night Saturday stays. I have a two-night minimum for Saturdays, so in most cases they don't make a reservation but if I had a question about the wisdom of doing that - if I were left with Saturdays unfilled - this would be one tool that would help.
[tr]Date: Saturday, July 19, 2008[/td][/tr][tr]Time[/td]Arrival Date[/td]Length[/td]Adults[/td]Children[/td]IP Address[/td]Status[/td][/tr][tr]9:29:31 AM[/td]Aug 11, 2008[/td]2 nights[/td]2 Adults[/td]-[/td]24.183.40.31[/td][/tr][tr]9:42:57 AM[/td]Aug 11, 2008[/td]2 nights[/td]-[/td]-[/td]24.183.40.31[/td] Online Booking[/td][/tr][tr]11:56:41 AM[/td]Jul 19, 2008[/td]1 night[/td]2 Adults[/td]-[/td]98.204.183.146[/td] No Vacancy[/td][/tr][tr]3:34:10 PM[/td]Jul 22, 2008[/td]1 night[/td]2 Adults[/td]-[/td]76.243.219.11[/td][/tr][/table]

One of the good new features on the upgraded Webervations is the ability to look at the traffic that is going to the booking engine in some detail, so you can see what dates, how many nights guests are requesting on your availability page, and in some cases what the result was. I pasted an example below. I can see that many potential guests search for one-night Saturday stays. I have a two-night minimum for Saturdays, so in most cases they don't make a reservation but if I had a question about the wisdom of doing that - if I were left with Saturdays unfilled - this would be one tool that would help.
[tr]Date: Saturday, July 19, 2008[/td][/tr][tr]Time[/td]Arrival Date[/td]Length[/td]Adults[/td]Children[/td]IP Address[/td]Status[/td][/tr][tr]9:29:31 AM[/td]Aug 11, 2008[/td]2 nights[/td]2 Adults[/td]-[/td]24.183.40.31[/td][/tr][tr]9:42:57 AM[/td]Aug 11, 2008[/td]2 nights[/td]-[/td]-[/td]24.183.40.31[/td] Online Booking[/td][/tr][tr]11:56:41 AM[/td]Jul 19, 2008[/td]1 night[/td]2 Adults[/td]-[/td]98.204.183.146[/td] No Vacancy[/td][/tr][tr]3:34:10 PM[/td]Jul 22, 2008[/td]1 night[/td]2 Adults[/td]-[/td]76.243.219.11[/td][/tr][/table].
That is a very cool feature, and good to know. Lots of great information hidden there.
regular_smile.gif

[tr]Date: Saturday, July 19, 2008[/td][/tr][tr]Time[/td]Arrival Date[/td]Length[/td]Adults[/td]Children[/td]IP Address[/td]Status[/td][/tr][tr]9:29:31 AM[/td]Aug 11, 2008[/td]2 nights[/td]2 Adults[/td]-[/td]24.183.40.31[/td][/tr][tr]9:42:57 AM[/td]Aug 11, 2008[/td]2 nights[/td]-[/td]-[/td]24.183.40.31[/td] Online Booking[/td][/tr][tr]11:56:41 AM[/td]Jul 19, 2008[/td]1 night[/td]2 Adults[/td]-[/td]98.204.183.146[/td] No Vacancy[/td][/tr][tr]3:34:10 PM[/td]Jul 22, 2008[/td]1 night[/td]2 Adults[/td]-[/td]76.243.219.11[/td][/tr][/table].
I'll have to check with SuperInn and see if they can do the same thing.... I called and they are going to see what kind of tracker that do that for me.

Back