2 night minimum

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why those who read the words "2 NIGHT MINIMUM" call and tell you to return their call to see what YOU can do about it.
LORD HELP ALL OF YOU who have reg two night min weekends, I have them very rarely, and when I do I get so much strife from it! I am sticking to me guns on this one. There is nothing better than an entire month of one night stays...for those who wonder why a few seemed to have gone off the deep end on this forum lately...try it, try one nights constantly, you begin to go loopy.

Ive been lucky as Ive been full tuesday through to Sunday morning The tuesday to friday morning people we all stays and single occupancy so only 10 for breakfast each day as two are room only. 5 of them only had fruit and yogurt for breakfast! Woo HOO then the friday sat people were all stays as well really nicoe Band people in a hugh brass band. managed to juggle things round for them so that a couple who had been booked in by the band leader in two separate hotels in single rooms into one double at mine and re sold the single at other place for my friend Bev so the customer was super happy I doubled my money and bev doubled her money. total bonus. tons of laundry though I am up to the roof. but I had two singles in who don't have breakfast so had a fab sleep in woo hoo!

Not sure why those who read the words "2 NIGHT MINIMUM" call and tell you to return their call to see what YOU can do about it.
LORD HELP ALL OF YOU who have reg two night min weekends, I have them very rarely, and when I do I get so much strife from it! I am sticking to me guns on this one. There is nothing better than an entire month of one night stays...for those who wonder why a few seemed to have gone off the deep end on this forum lately...try it, try one nights constantly, you begin to go loopy..
Joey Bloggs said:
There is nothing better than an entire month of one night stays...for those who wonder why a few seemed to have gone off the deep end on this forum lately...try it, try one nights constantly, you begin to go loopy.
My guess is this is a bit of my problem right now. That and the summer housekeeper has gone back to school. Trying to finish up the season on a high note, but those one-nighters are a killer.

Have you ever noticed that those "ONLY WANTING ONE NIGHT" seem to act like they are doing you a favor by only wanting one night? What misconception is this?

Ive been lucky as Ive been full tuesday through to Sunday morning The tuesday to friday morning people we all stays and single occupancy so only 10 for breakfast each day as two are room only. 5 of them only had fruit and yogurt for breakfast! Woo HOO then the friday sat people were all stays as well really nicoe Band people in a hugh brass band. managed to juggle things round for them so that a couple who had been booked in by the band leader in two separate hotels in single rooms into one double at mine and re sold the single at other place for my friend Bev so the customer was super happy I doubled my money and bev doubled her money. total bonus. tons of laundry though I am up to the roof. but I had two singles in who don't have breakfast so had a fab sleep in woo hoo!.
Ive been lucky as Ive been full tuesday through to Sunday morning...
Camb, you've mentioned before your excellent occupancy rate as well as one important reason (convention center) and the fact that there are several other accommodations in the area, all of which have good occupancy.
I'm always interested in the psychology and success of setting rates. Do you do much experimenting with increasing your rates over time to see if you can find an upper limit? We all know about the math that can show how raising rates to the right level can more than offset a slight drop in occupancy rate as a result, especially when you consider less work to do and fewer expendable supplies to replace.
I guess my basic question is, doesn't a very high occupancy rate indicate that your rates are too low?

We don't like one nighters either but since we don't have a say-so and we've tried to tell the boss to make it a 2 night min. at least in season and on weekends didn't work, we will do them; sometimes its not too bad and you can actually make plans if you only have a weekend with one nighters specially if its only friday night.

Have you ever noticed that those "ONLY WANTING ONE NIGHT" seem to act like they are doing you a favor by only wanting one night? What misconception is this?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Have you ever noticed that those "ONLY WANTING ONE NIGHT" seem to act like they are doing you a favor by only wanting one night? What misconception is this?
That you NEED the money, they HAVE the money, you should abandon all policies for them.
I generally tell them to call back on the Monday of the week and we'll see what we can do at that time.

We have a 2-night min on weekends, during our peak seasons, holidays, when our mood dictates, etc. On certain occaisons throughout the year we have a 3-night minimum. We break the rule last minute if a room is open. By last minute I mean the day prior. Heck we even hold out for a Thurs/Fri when Sat/Sun are booked in a particular room. This past year we have been very successful adding a $29-49 one night fee. Weeds out of the cheap skate PITA's and plenty of guests will pay without batting an eye. It cost more to book a one night than a two night and we also value our sanity. We are in a destination location and a lot of guests stay one nights at B&B's on the way here. So it really depends on your circumstances whether or not a 2-night min is right for you or not

Ive been lucky as Ive been full tuesday through to Sunday morning The tuesday to friday morning people we all stays and single occupancy so only 10 for breakfast each day as two are room only. 5 of them only had fruit and yogurt for breakfast! Woo HOO then the friday sat people were all stays as well really nicoe Band people in a hugh brass band. managed to juggle things round for them so that a couple who had been booked in by the band leader in two separate hotels in single rooms into one double at mine and re sold the single at other place for my friend Bev so the customer was super happy I doubled my money and bev doubled her money. total bonus. tons of laundry though I am up to the roof. but I had two singles in who don't have breakfast so had a fab sleep in woo hoo!.
Camb, you've mentioned before your excellent occupancy rate as well as one important reason (convention center) and the fact that there are several other accommodations in the area, all of which have good occupancy.
I'm always interested in the psychology and success of setting rates. Do you do much experimenting with increasing your rates over time to see if you can find an upper limit? We all know about the math that can show how raising rates to the right level can more than offset a slight drop in occupancy rate as a result, especially when you consider less work to do and fewer expendable supplies to replace.
I guess my basic question is, doesn't a very high occupancy rate indicate that your rates are too low?
to be honest at the moment I think I am under pricing myself and am gradually working on it. However it depends what is on as to what price is expected for example the CIOH conference for a double room for one person standard price is $250 on an average week night nothing on $120. We also had a large fire at a neighbouring hotel 250 bedrooms which pushed those people into the town which pushed up demand it is now back open. It is partly about understanding the kind of people who are comming to a particular event ie paid for by the company so don't care about money or for example a very big conference who came to harrogate for the first year this year was Partylite which is sort of like Avon and Tupperware but they sell interior furnishings (so working a second job for extra money looking for a bargain) we did a 2 night minimum and filled the place and were fully booked for it next year as one of the ladies booked the whole place while she was here. However this week i have dropped prices as there is nothing on. I also contact companies who are exhibiting directly to save on commission also they are better customers as they have to come the night before to set up and stay a day after to pack up (ie 3 day event 5 day booking) rather than delegates who just want the 3 days. Also conferences tend to be during the week then we fill up with holiday and wedding people on the weekend. I have also fought hard to be on the recomeded lists for the local army base and American base so we are full for their passing in and passing out parades and any of their family days. But in answer yes I am creeping up my prices in line with the refurishment I am doing as well.

We have a 2-night min on weekends, during our peak seasons, holidays, when our mood dictates, etc. On certain occaisons throughout the year we have a 3-night minimum. We break the rule last minute if a room is open. By last minute I mean the day prior. Heck we even hold out for a Thurs/Fri when Sat/Sun are booked in a particular room. This past year we have been very successful adding a $29-49 one night fee. Weeds out of the cheap skate PITA's and plenty of guests will pay without batting an eye. It cost more to book a one night than a two night and we also value our sanity. We are in a destination location and a lot of guests stay one nights at B&B's on the way here. So it really depends on your circumstances whether or not a 2-night min is right for you or not.
Hangfive said:
We are in a destination location and a lot of guests stay one nights at B&B's on the way here. So it really depends on your circumstances whether or not a 2-night min is right for you or not
We're in the place they stay for one night before getting to places like yours! Misery. Almost every booking I have for the next 2 weeks is one night. Exception being the holiday weekend.

Arkansawyer said:
I would not necessarily agree with that. Sometimes you can up the rates if you don't want to work as hard - fewer bookings for same money. But here in Charlottesville every October everyone is full because it's high season. We are also always full when there are university games, or when a major musician is performing in town at the arena.

We have a 2-night min on weekends, during our peak seasons, holidays, when our mood dictates, etc. On certain occaisons throughout the year we have a 3-night minimum. We break the rule last minute if a room is open. By last minute I mean the day prior. Heck we even hold out for a Thurs/Fri when Sat/Sun are booked in a particular room. This past year we have been very successful adding a $29-49 one night fee. Weeds out of the cheap skate PITA's and plenty of guests will pay without batting an eye. It cost more to book a one night than a two night and we also value our sanity. We are in a destination location and a lot of guests stay one nights at B&B's on the way here. So it really depends on your circumstances whether or not a 2-night min is right for you or not.
Hangfive said:
We are in a destination location and a lot of guests stay one nights at B&B's on the way here. So it really depends on your circumstances whether or not a 2-night min is right for you or not
We're in the place they stay for one night before getting to places like yours! Misery. Almost every booking I have for the next 2 weeks is one night. Exception being the holiday weekend.
Mort, I feel for you! You're in 1 nighter hell.
cry_smile.gif

We call 'em "One Night Wonders"
teeth_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
teeth_smile.gif
This is why I love you "DON" you are so witty.
We are AWFUL for coming up with terrible nicknames for all kinds of people...like the guy who was just here recently for 3 nights and needed a different map route for a 5 mile run every morning...he was "Bruce Jenner" to us for the duration. Horrible I know, but it keeps us laughing.

teeth_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
teeth_smile.gif
This is why I love you "DON" you are so witty.
We are AWFUL for coming up with terrible nicknames for all kinds of people...like the guy who was just here recently for 3 nights and needed a different map route for a 5 mile run every morning...he was "Bruce Jenner" to us for the duration. Horrible I know, but it keeps us laughing.
Don Draper said:
but it keeps us laughing.
Which, in turn, keeps you going.

Back