2 tourist sisters robbed at Savannh bed and breakfast - INN the news 05.16.09

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, how the heck do any of us handle something like this?

So, how the heck do any of us handle something like this?.
Of course you feel badly and want to help as much as you can..but this could have happened anywhere. It just so happened they were at the B & B.
I don't see what it is that the innkeepers could do. This is a police matter and they should deal with it. Hopefully they recover their car and they are ok.
IF it happened at a hotel..what would the hotel do??? Nothing I suspect. So why should the innkeeper.

Of course you feel badly and want to help as much as you can..but this could have happened anywhere. It just so happened they were at the B & B.
I don't see what it is that the innkeepers could do. This is a police matter and they should deal with it. Hopefully they recover their car and they are ok.
IF it happened at a hotel..what would the hotel do??? Nothing I suspect. So why should the innkeeper.
catlady said:
Because they need to now do damage control. Even tho in this article they weren't named, that may not be the only article out there. Other articles may name the B&B. So, next guest does a search on Savannah B&B's and finds a news article about this robbery. How many guests are going to book there? Not me.

catlady said:
Because they need to now do damage control. Even tho in this article they weren't named, that may not be the only article out there. Other articles may name the B&B. So, next guest does a search on Savannah B&B's and finds a news article about this robbery. How many guests are going to book there? Not me.
Bree said:
catlady said:
Bree you are right - if there are other articles stating the name or even if the word spreads in Savannah damage control is needed. Four or five years ago, there was a young couple traveling through our town with a U move rental truck carrying all their personal items. They happened to pull in to one of our nicer chain hotels here (not big city - our town) and overnight, some thugs from big city stole the truck. It was found, stripped of anything sellable, on the side of the road in a no good area of big city.. It was all over the local papers, on TV in big city, etc. The town came to the aid of the couple with the hotel serving as the 'donation' spot. Several local furniture stores donated items for their new place... Lots of press, yet there are STILL people that have heard the story - we get quite a few reservations from this. I guess they figure we are out of the limelight. When they ask about safety, I tell them that we have been living here for ___ years now and have had no problems BUT I can not promise anything...just hope we never have a first.

catlady said:
Bree said:
catlady said:
Bree you are right - if there are other articles stating the name or even if the word spreads in Savannah damage control is needed. Four or five years ago, there was a young couple traveling through our town with a U move rental truck carrying all their personal items. They happened to pull in to one of our nicer chain hotels here (not big city - our town) and overnight, some thugs from big city stole the truck. It was found, stripped of anything sellable, on the side of the road in a no good area of big city.. It was all over the local papers, on TV in big city, etc. The town came to the aid of the couple with the hotel serving as the 'donation' spot. Several local furniture stores donated items for their new place... Lots of press, yet there are STILL people that have heard the story - we get quite a few reservations from this. I guess they figure we are out of the limelight. When they ask about safety, I tell them that we have been living here for ___ years now and have had no problems BUT I can not promise anything...just hope we never have a first.
I can see how the hotel and the town could do damage control in the situation you cited, but wonder how to manage it in this instance. There is no way to stop a car-jacking/robbery short of staying home and not straying beyond one's door. Other than comping the room, which in itself could set them up to be liable in some way ("why would you comp the room if it was not your fault for not providing better security?"), what could the B & B do for damage contril? I admit, I am at a loss for ideas.

terrible!
with any luck, the misspelling of Savannah in the headline will be repeated so that those who didn't hear of it won't google Savannah bed and breakfast and get the story before anything about how nice it is to visit. (wishful thinking?)
and i was glad (relieved?) to see the b&b was not mentioned by name (a downtown bed and breakfast)
i know nothing of the area at all ....

terrible!
with any luck, the misspelling of Savannah in the headline will be repeated so that those who didn't hear of it won't google Savannah bed and breakfast and get the story before anything about how nice it is to visit. (wishful thinking?)
and i was glad (relieved?) to see the b&b was not mentioned by name (a downtown bed and breakfast)
i know nothing of the area at all .....
It's pretty easy to figure out which B&B from the address, if you know your way around google. What might save them is that there are so many B&Bs and B&B websites in Savannah, you don't get any crime stories right away unless you know what to look for. Savannah bed and breakfast doesn't get you the story; Savannah bed and breakfast carjack does.
I have only been to Savannah once, a few years ago, but I don't think this B&B is in a great part of town. I stayed closer to the river in a B&B near one of the smaller residential squares, but as I remember things got less secure-looking around the big park. I think another innmate has stayed around that area before, but not at that B&B.

Bad things can happen anywhere. Unless this B&B is in a really horrible area of the town that might be more prone to crimes, it is what it is when you stay at an urban inn in any city. Heck, stuff can happen at a B&B in a rural area. The best that you can do, like anything else, is be as supportive as possible, help them with the dealings with reporting,etc., offer comfort and so on.

I would never stay in that part of town! The only place where it's really "safe" to stay is within the Historic District which is surrounded by the roads of: River St, Broad, Montgomery and Gaston. Anything that falls outside those perimeters is not very nice. You will have little bits of nice houses and people trying to bring areas back to life, but the majority of it is scary. Unfortunately if you've never been to savannah you don't know that (which is I know the same as other places too). We just got home last night from a vacation, and one of the places we stayed was in New Haven Ct., and I believe we were right on that border of good & bad. Too bad for the ladies in the article that that was their "hello" from Savannah, I'm sure they will never return and neither will their friends/family.

GG you mentioned what it most typical in historic areas in cities - one side of the street dilapidated crack houses and apartments the other side and few blocks over beautifully restored homes. Someone has to step up and begin the revitalization and usually buying a broken down home in a bad neighborhood doesn't look all that glamorous a place to live.
Guests have told us - heck we have experienced it ourselves - case in point Bristol TN. Neat B&B surrounded by houses with barred windows.

It's the same in our area. A lot of the hotels, motels and restaurants along the Interstate corridor have had thefts from the parking lots and it ends up on the local news. It has caused some tourists to avoid the town. Unfortunately, bad news travels fast.

terrible!
It's pretty easy to figure out which B&B from the address, if you know your way around google. What might save them is that there are so many B&Bs and B&B websites in Savannah, you don't get any crime stories right away unless you know what to look for. Savannah bed and breakfast doesn't get you the story; Savannah bed and breakfast carjack does.
I have only been to Savannah once, a few years ago, but I don't think this B&B is in a great part of town. I stayed closer to the river in a B&B near one of the smaller residential squares, but as I remember things got less secure-looking around the big park. I think another innmate has stayed around that area before, but not at that B&B.
I stayed near the big park, quite a few blocks closer to the historic district than that place. We never walked in the other direction, it didn't look safe. Of course you really can't see that on a map. Altho with Google street maps you might be able to see what the buildings look like. Not the same as the feeling you get just standing there. The big park was filled most of the time with college students running and training. When it wasn't, you wouldn't catch me in there unless it was near the fountain. Hubs goes places I wouldn't go, he doesn't see things the same way I do.
The parts of the city that have been 'gentrified' are beautiful, the parts that haven't are scary. Broken windows everywhere, junk in the yards, sketchy characters just hanging around. We like to walk, so we got to see the line up for free food at noon at the local churches and then the homeless and the office workers sitting cheek to jowl in the parks eating lunch.
We walked everywhere day and night but I wouldn't go down certain streets and I crossed a lot of streets a couple of times under the pretext of looking at something on the other side if I felt threatened.
I took the innkeeper very seriously when she told us to NEVER leave the doors unlocked, not even to get something out of the car. Hey, you see all those bars on the windows and you do what you're told!

By the way, that place in the article is NOT a B&B. At least not according to the website of the place. They rent short term apartments. No, wait, it's also called 'self-catering B&B' on another page. I guess it depends on what you want what they call themselves...You want an apt? They're an apt. You want a B&B? They're a B&B.
So, it's apts that serve a continental breakfast in your apt.
Their explanation:
1. As self-catering bed and breakfast when you arrive we provide the following at no additional charge: fresh muffins, bagels, cream cheese, butter, jam, Quaker Oats Grits, Nature Valley Breakfast Bars, 100% Arabica whole bean regular and decaffeinated coffee, a selection of imported teas.
2. As a vacation rental there is a fully equipped kitchen complete with silverware, pot and pans, dishes, glassware and outdoor Char-Broil gas grill so you can go to the grocery store and have what you want, when you want it and not spend all your money in restaurants.
The housekeeper cleans between guests and will come once a week for longer stays. If you'd like arrangements can be made for the housekeeper to come more often or for special occasions.
(Pardon this addition by me...what the heck 'special occasion' would you want the housekeeper for? There are just so many wrong ways to read that.
embaressed_smile.gif
)

terrible!
I stayed near the big park, quite a few blocks closer to the historic district than that place. We never walked in the other direction, it didn't look safe. Of course you really can't see that on a map. Altho with Google street maps you might be able to see what the buildings look like. Not the same as the feeling you get just standing there. The big park was filled most of the time with college students running and training. When it wasn't, you wouldn't catch me in there unless it was near the fountain. Hubs goes places I wouldn't go, he doesn't see things the same way I do.
The parts of the city that have been 'gentrified' are beautiful, the parts that haven't are scary. Broken windows everywhere, junk in the yards, sketchy characters just hanging around. We like to walk, so we got to see the line up for free food at noon at the local churches and then the homeless and the office workers sitting cheek to jowl in the parks eating lunch.
We walked everywhere day and night but I wouldn't go down certain streets and I crossed a lot of streets a couple of times under the pretext of looking at something on the other side if I felt threatened.
I took the innkeeper very seriously when she told us to NEVER leave the doors unlocked, not even to get something out of the car. Hey, you see all those bars on the windows and you do what you're told!
Bree said:
It must have been Forsyth Park. Yeah, the beginning. close to the fountain is safe in the day but I wouldn't go there at night.
whattha.gif

I would never stay in that part of town! The only place where it's really "safe" to stay is within the Historic District which is surrounded by the roads of: River St, Broad, Montgomery and Gaston. Anything that falls outside those perimeters is not very nice. You will have little bits of nice houses and people trying to bring areas back to life, but the majority of it is scary. Unfortunately if you've never been to savannah you don't know that (which is I know the same as other places too). We just got home last night from a vacation, and one of the places we stayed was in New Haven Ct., and I believe we were right on that border of good & bad. Too bad for the ladies in the article that that was their "hello" from Savannah, I'm sure they will never return and neither will their friends/family..
In most large cities, the difference between skag and swag is usually 1 or 2 blocks.

By the way, that place in the article is NOT a B&B. At least not according to the website of the place. They rent short term apartments. No, wait, it's also called 'self-catering B&B' on another page. I guess it depends on what you want what they call themselves...You want an apt? They're an apt. You want a B&B? They're a B&B.
So, it's apts that serve a continental breakfast in your apt.
Their explanation:
1. As self-catering bed and breakfast when you arrive we provide the following at no additional charge: fresh muffins, bagels, cream cheese, butter, jam, Quaker Oats Grits, Nature Valley Breakfast Bars, 100% Arabica whole bean regular and decaffeinated coffee, a selection of imported teas.
2. As a vacation rental there is a fully equipped kitchen complete with silverware, pot and pans, dishes, glassware and outdoor Char-Broil gas grill so you can go to the grocery store and have what you want, when you want it and not spend all your money in restaurants.
The housekeeper cleans between guests and will come once a week for longer stays. If you'd like arrangements can be made for the housekeeper to come more often or for special occasions.
(Pardon this addition by me...what the heck 'special occasion' would you want the housekeeper for? There are just so many wrong ways to read that.
embaressed_smile.gif
).
Bree wrote: By the way, that place in the article is NOT a B&B. At least not according to the website of the place. They rent short term apartments. No, wait, it's also called 'self-catering B&B' on another page. I guess it depends on what you want what they call themselves...You want an apt? They're an apt. You want a B&B? They're a B&B.
Yes I was confused by this as well. Guess they are flexable to get more business.
Bree wrote: The housekeeper cleans between guests and will come once a week for longer stays. If you'd like arrangements can be made for the housekeeper to come more often or for special occasions.
embaressed_smile.gif
)

LOL - didn't catch this when I looked at the site.

Back