2010 Aspiring Innkeeper Weekends - MI

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The conference listed below in Charlottsville is a very valuable conference which I strongly endorse. Becky and Norm are great and interesting speakers and you will really learn what you need to know here. I went to it I think two or three times and was probably the oldest inspiring in B&B history...
RIki

Cherry - Funny you should post this - I contacted one of the B&B's in Ludington to see if I could post it also. I think it is also a great way to get "heads in beds" while also sharing your knowledge. Do you think you will be going? I may come back from my April job a little early in order to attend (don't worry - my sister will cover for me)

The VA one doesn't include any sort of lodging - just the workshop? I kinda like the idea of the Ludington one - go, stay, and talk to 7 different B&B owners and see how each one runs their business.

The VA one doesn't include any sort of lodging - just the workshop? I kinda like the idea of the Ludington one - go, stay, and talk to 7 different B&B owners and see how each one runs their business..
suellen222 said:
The VA one doesn't include any sort of lodging - just the workshop? I kinda like the idea of the Ludington one - go, stay, and talk to 7 different B&B owners and see how each one runs their business.
There are plenty of affordable places to stay in this town, and the classes they give afford lots of give and take with innkeepers. Sometimes they include a tour of the local B&Bs here which are all great to see and talk to.
But this class gives you a lot more than just touring and talking to innkeepers. They go over the nuts and bolts of what you need to run an inn - discuss things an aspiring would not even have thought of. This is a class that is carefully crafted to touch on everything you need to start thinking about.
You won't know as an aspiring what all to discuss or ask just while touring a B&B.
If you do the Omni Hotel on Orbits or even direct they will give you a lower rate if you agree to forfeit your right to cancel.
Riki

Feb 28-29 Aspiring Innkeeper Workshop in Charlottesville VA. Go here for details. Is being held at the Boar's Head Inn along with the association conference, go here for all the details of the conference. Aspiring participants are always welcome to attend the conference too.

The VA one doesn't include any sort of lodging - just the workshop? I kinda like the idea of the Ludington one - go, stay, and talk to 7 different B&B owners and see how each one runs their business..
The VA one is being held in conjunction with association conference. It is at the Boars' Head Inn and they can get lodging there as well. I also added this info to my original post. Sorry I left that out.

The VA one is being held in conjunction with association conference. It is at the Boars' Head Inn and they can get lodging there as well. I also added this info to my original post. Sorry I left that out.
But the lodging is on top of the $175/$275 you are paying for the workshop - thats an awful lot of $ for an aspiring (or anyone for that matter). I like the Ludington idea of having aspirings come to stay and talk about B&B's all day. I think it is a great idea if there is an area of several B&B's all together - of course that would mean all the owners have to get along and cooperate with one another.

But the lodging is on top of the $175/$275 you are paying for the workshop - thats an awful lot of $ for an aspiring (or anyone for that matter). I like the Ludington idea of having aspirings come to stay and talk about B&B's all day. I think it is a great idea if there is an area of several B&B's all together - of course that would mean all the owners have to get along and cooperate with one another.
Actually, compared to some aspiring workshop prices I've seen out here, that's not a bad price at all.
But suellen, I agree with you. This is not your typical aspiring workshop but I really like the format they've chosen.
Because a big part of what a lot of the aspiring innkeepers hope to gain is the inside scoop on what innkeeping really is all about. Who better to hear that from than actual innkeepers who are not retired, not innsitters, but actual working innkeepers. What a great chance to learn from several of them all at once.
I think there's a lot to be said, too, for the nuts and bolts workshops.
But for an introduction to the field, I really like this unique format they're doing in Michigan. Good for them.

suellen222 said:
That sure does sound like more fun and cheaper. I know since I visited and chatted with innkeepers for years before opening. But I just learned the surface stuff doing that.
I really learned what I needed to know at the BBAV conference. Who is going to guide the talking into what they really need to know about innkeeping at Ludington?
My point is, the one put out by BBAV is organized and you know what is going to be discussed - things you NEED to know about running a B&B, with presentations and information you take home with you. They remove the rose colored glasses and show you the guts of the business. I actually consider this one very affordable considering what they offer.

Cherry - Funny you should post this - I contacted one of the B&B's in Ludington to see if I could post it also. I think it is also a great way to get "heads in beds" while also sharing your knowledge. Do you think you will be going? I may come back from my April job a little early in order to attend (don't worry - my sister will cover for me).
suellen222 said:
Cherry - Funny you should post this - I contacted one of the B&B's in Ludington to see if I could post it also. I think it is also a great way to get "heads in beds" while also sharing your knowledge. Do you think you will be going? I may come back from my April job a little early in order to attend (don't worry - my sister will cover for me)
My DH and I are definatly going. I made reservations last night.
teeth_smile.gif

Actually, compared to some aspiring workshop prices I've seen out here, that's not a bad price at all.
But suellen, I agree with you. This is not your typical aspiring workshop but I really like the format they've chosen.
Because a big part of what a lot of the aspiring innkeepers hope to gain is the inside scoop on what innkeeping really is all about. Who better to hear that from than actual innkeepers who are not retired, not innsitters, but actual working innkeepers. What a great chance to learn from several of them all at once.
But for an introduction to the field, I really like this unique format they're doing in Michigan. Good for them.
DO you know what it it like to have a group of innkeepers in the same room trying to talk!!!!!
Unless there is someone there to guide and reign folks in, the conversation could be wild, and uncontrollable and aspirings could come away totally confused.
The BBAV workshops ALWAYS features a panel of current innkeepers each addressing specific identified topics they know ahead of time and then there is a closing panel question / answer session.

DO you know what it it like to have a group of innkeepers in the same room trying to talk!!!!!
Unless there is someone there to guide and reign folks in, the conversation could be wild, and uncontrollable and aspirings could come away totally confused.
The BBAV workshops ALWAYS features a panel of current innkeepers each addressing specific identified topics they know ahead of time and then there is a closing panel question / answer session.
Actually I'm a former Training Director (for 20+ years) so yes, I fully understand what it means to have a workshop that's not structured and what a nightmare that can be.
That said, what these folks have planned is not what I'd consider a class in the sense of learning any nuts and bolts. Seems more like a casual way for folks to get introduced to a lot of different innkeepers and see their various methods for doing things.
And that can have a lot of value in and of itself.

Newbie here--
Umm... seems they are on different dates and both might offer some good advice and insights...doesn't have to be either or?

Newbie here--
Umm... seems they are on different dates and both might offer some good advice and insights...doesn't have to be either or?
Oh yes, you are correct. Totally different dates and totally different locations. Each has it's own appeal. Nothing against either of them. I just posted the BBAV one because it is coming up soon and if someone were close by and may want to attend..they have the info. :)

suellen222 said:
That sure does sound like more fun and cheaper. I know since I visited and chatted with innkeepers for years before opening. But I just learned the surface stuff doing that.
I really learned what I needed to know at the BBAV conference. Who is going to guide the talking into what they really need to know about innkeeping at Ludington?
My point is, the one put out by BBAV is organized and you know what is going to be discussed - things you NEED to know about running a B&B, with presentations and information you take home with you. They remove the rose colored glasses and show you the guts of the business. I actually consider this one very affordable considering what they offer.
Maybe the Ludington format would be a good place for a newbie aspiring to start and then if they are really serious they should look into some sort of workshop! Too bad the dates are not conducive (sp?) for these two for someone to do that! But I know there are lots of workshops going on in most states at all times. Find one you need/can afford in your area!
BTW- the Ludington one is not all the Innkeepers in one room...you stay at one of the Inns and then go on a tour of the other ones where you will have a chance to talk to the others. My problem is I don't know how to decide which one to stay with!

Cherry - Funny you should post this - I contacted one of the B&B's in Ludington to see if I could post it also. I think it is also a great way to get "heads in beds" while also sharing your knowledge. Do you think you will be going? I may come back from my April job a little early in order to attend (don't worry - my sister will cover for me).
suellen222 said:
My DH and I are definatly going. I made reservations last night.
teeth_smile.gif

Well I definitely want to meet you then!!! Are there any other aspirings out there - we could have our own little Inn-mate meeting! I am excited!

Back