2010 Census - Business Contact

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK OK OK But that is what the paper said!.
MTL, we aren't picking on you, not at all!
Issues such as the one you mentioned are the reason I brought this issue up in the first place. It just proves that there is a problem with the census itself. I am wondering if this matter is being handled in this way only in some districts for a reason? (see my post 67074 in response to your post of 67073 for the details of what the census is used for.)
Mort, you are dead on... This could lead to people being counted multiple times in different locations which could effect funding for that area AND redistricting of congress seats.

embaressed_smile.gif
Sorry if it sounded like that. Its just crazy.

OK, got the form and it seems like there really could be some confusion about who to count and where to count them!
Here's a quote from the second question: Where there any additional people are staying here (my emphasis) that you did not count in question 1?
It then lists this as an answer you can select:
'People staying here temporarily.'
BTW, the census people realize that parents don't count kids either. Quite clearly they state that babies and children count and they ask 6 different ways if you forgot to include your kids!
However, the very first set of instructions state to count everyone who lives and sleeps here most of the time. (Again my emphasis.) And they do go on to state you should count anyone staying here who has no permanent place to live. So, 'guests' in the sense we mean it, should not be counted. The 'guest' who has not vacated the couch in 6 months and is now getting his mail here should be counted here. (He should also be told to get a job and find another place to live, but that's a whole other issue!)
Don't count kids at college, they get counted at college apparently. And cousin Bob in jail? Don't count him, either. Nursing home resident, ditto. Or anyone in the military who is away. But nothing about folks in hospital, so count them at your house, they won't be counted in hospital.
Hope that helps with those who are getting visited by census takers.

OK, got the form and it seems like there really could be some confusion about who to count and where to count them!
Here's a quote from the second question: Where there any additional people are staying here (my emphasis) that you did not count in question 1?
BTW, the census people realize that parents don't count kids either. Quite clearly they state that babies and children count and they ask 6 different ways if you forgot to include your kids!
However, the very first set of instructions state to count everyone who lives and sleeps here most of the time. (Again my emphasis.) And they do go on to state you should count anyone staying here who has no permanent place to live. So, 'guests' in the sense we mean it, should not be counted. The 'guest' who has not vacated the couch in 6 months and is now getting his mail here should be counted here. (He should also be told to get a job and find another place to live, but that's a whole other issue!)
Don't count kids at college, they get counted at college apparently. And cousin Bob in jail? Don't count him, either. Nursing home resident, ditto. Or anyone in the military who is away. But nothing about folks in hospital, so count them at your house, they won't be counted in hospital.
Hope that helps with those who are getting visited by census takers..
Thanks Mort. Question, was the mailing addressed to Mr or Mrs. Mort, Your B&B name, or just to the address?
Reason for my quesiton is wondering if they have a different form for our business or if it is the same as a household.
I will be asking to read this questionaire myself instead of being 'interviewed'.
Just thought of another question: Does it specify a date or time frame (as another poster mentioned) which they are interested in who is 'staying here' ?

Thanks Mort. Question, was the mailing addressed to Mr or Mrs. Mort, Your B&B name, or just to the address?
Reason for my quesiton is wondering if they have a different form for our business or if it is the same as a household.
I will be asking to read this questionaire myself instead of being 'interviewed'.
Just thought of another question: Does it specify a date or time frame (as another poster mentioned) which they are interested in who is 'staying here' ?
Address only. 'Resident at my address'
Date specific- ON April 1, who is living at this address?
Even tho the enclosure says fill it out NOW, they want to know who is living here on Apr 1. God willing and the creek don't rise, we'll be here!
This address here has had a biz in it for at least 4 censuses (censi?). I really think a lot of it is your location. If someone is coming out, they'll have the long form more than likely which includes a lot more questions about how you live...# of TV's, bathrooms, bedrooms, stuff like that. Along with # of years of schooling, military service and some other stuff I can't remember. A whole bunch of questions about employment and the home you live in. (Ought to be interesting at a B&B...8 bedrooms, 9 bathrooms and 2 people live here!)
Here's the link to the long form questionnaire.

Even tho the enclosure says fill it out NOW, they want to know who is living here on Apr 1. God willing and the creek don't rise, we'll be here!
This address here has had a biz in it for at least 4 censuses (censi?). I really think a lot of it is your location. If someone is coming out, they'll have the long form more than likely which includes a lot more questions about how you live...# of TV's, bathrooms, bedrooms, stuff like that. Along with # of years of schooling, military service and some other stuff I can't remember. A whole bunch of questions about employment and the home you live in. (Ought to be interesting at a B&B...8 bedrooms, 9 bathrooms and 2 people live here!)
From the conversation I had with that census advance worker, this is what I finally was able to figure out. If they're staying temporarily more than 30 days, they're living there.
Basically they're looking for the new homeless who are bouncing from motel to motel and won't be counted elsewhere. They don't really have a way to eliminate one type of lodging facility over another so they're asking the same questions of all of us.
The chances that a B&B would have a resident other than innkeepers is pretty slim. But they're still asking just to make sure everyone gets counted.

Thanks Mort! Could not get that link to work and could not find the correct one on their site.
As I already knew participation is the law, but only some questions are mandatory and if asked, the cencsus interviewer must state if it is mandatory or not.

Thanks Mort! Could not get that link to work and could not find the correct one on their site.
As I already knew participation is the law, but only some questions are mandatory and if asked, the cencsus interviewer must state if it is mandatory or not.
copperhead said:
From what I got on the .gov site, it's mandatory to answer whatever questions are on the form you got. Short, long, whatever. However, they can't ask you questions that aren't on the census survey.
Title 13
Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers
(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.
(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500. (c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

copperhead said:
From what I got on the .gov site, it's mandatory to answer whatever questions are on the form you got. Short, long, whatever. However, they can't ask you questions that aren't on the census survey.
Title 13
Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers
(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.
(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500. (c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.
I got mine and all they wanted to know was who was living here. And if I was hispanic or white or whatever.
Riki

Ok folks, Mort got me searching and I found this:
TITLE 13 > CHAPTER 7 > SUBCHAPTER II > § 223
Prev | Next
§ 223. Refusal, by owners, proprietors, etc., to assist census employees[/h2] How Current is This?
Whoever, being the owner, proprietor, manager, superintendent, or agent of any hotel, apartment house, boarding or lodging house, tenement, or other building, refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary or by any other officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof, acting under the instructions of the Secretary, to furnish the names of the occupants of such premises, or to give free ingress thereto and egress therefrom to any duly accredited representative of such Department or bureau or agency thereof, so as to permit the collection of statistics with respect to any census provided for in subchapters I and II of chapter 5 of this title, or any survey authorized by subchapter IV or V of such chapter insofar as such survey relates to any of the subjects for which censuses are provided by such subchapters I and II, including, when relevant to the census or survey being taken or made, the proper and correct enumeration of all persons having their usual place of abode in such premises, shall be fined not more than $500.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/13/usc_sec_13_00000223----000-.html (directed to this site from a link on the census. gov site.
So while homeowners do not have to allow census takers into their homes (stated on the gov site) we must allow them entry and if asked, to provide the names of occupants. (this wording differs in regard those 'staying' in your home as was posted by Mort)
So now my question is what is 'free ingress thereto' actually mean in this sense? Just entry or free to roam about?
Mort - thanks for making me dig!!!

Prev | Next
§ 223. Refusal, by owners, proprietors, etc., to assist census employees[/h2] How Current is This?
Whoever, being the owner, proprietor, manager, superintendent, or agent of any hotel, apartment house, boarding or lodging house, tenement, or other building, refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary or by any other officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof, acting under the instructions of the Secretary, to furnish the names of the occupants of such premises, or to give free ingress thereto and egress therefrom to any duly accredited representative of such Department or bureau or agency thereof, so as to permit the collection of statistics with respect to any census provided for in subchapters I and II of chapter 5 of this title, or any survey authorized by subchapter IV or V of such chapter insofar as such survey relates to any of the subjects for which censuses are provided by such subchapters I and II, including, when relevant to the census or survey being taken or made, the proper and correct enumeration of all persons having their usual place of abode in such premises, shall be fined not more than $500.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/13/usc_sec_13_00000223----000-.html (directed to this site from a link on the census. gov site.
So while homeowners do not have to allow census takers into their homes (stated on the gov site) we must allow them entry and if asked, to provide the names of occupants. (this wording differs in regard those 'staying' in your home as was posted by Mort)
So now my question is what is 'free ingress thereto' actually mean in this sense? Just entry or free to roam about?
Mort - thanks for making me dig!!!.
Boy this would have been an eye opener for one of my guest this last weekend. He wanted to be incognito, not wanting to sign in, wanting to pay cash, etc. - No trails! Was with pretty little thing
wink_smile.gif
, brought 2 cars. Left before breakfast, too. Would have been interesting to see him squirm if he were to have run in to the census taker during his stay.
(Oh, fyi - I make everyone sign in and I already had all his info anyway when he called that morning to book. An as with hotels, I did check his ID even though he paid cash.)

Prev | Next
Has everyone here gotten their census form? We have yet to see one. Is there a deadline for it? Hmmm maybe I had better call our PO.

Prev | Next
Has everyone here gotten their census form? We have yet to see one. Is there a deadline for it? Hmmm maybe I had better call our PO.
catlady said:
They were all supposed to have been mailed out last week. The 'date' is April 1 to fill it out by and mail it back.

Prev | Next
Got ours here...for both houses. And, we got a letter first announcing that we'd receive the forms.

CH there was an ad in our local paper today from the Sheriff's Dept stating to be ware of phony census takers. (Opportunists who know people will let them in with this census going on)
It said they should NOT have access to the inside of your home at all, they are to provide proper id and can interview you outside but not inside - they are not allowed to interview children.

CH there was an ad in our local paper today from the Sheriff's Dept stating to be ware of phony census takers. (Opportunists who know people will let them in with this census going on)
It said they should NOT have access to the inside of your home at all, they are to provide proper id and can interview you outside but not inside - they are not allowed to interview children..
JB, thanks for thinking of me on this. I have seen several warnings of this and the facts about their home interviews. What is different is the fact that all lodging establishments fall under different regulations. On the 2010 census website (can't recall the exact page) it states that all hotels, Inns, B&B's boarding houses etc. provide egress freely to the census taker. It also states that we are required to provide the names of those staying here on a temp. basis (not just those living here). It does not state the key date of 4/1 - as Mort. mentioned was on her questionaire, but they must use a date or everything would be messed up. (well then again, we are talking about the gov. lol)
The difference was that when this person from the local office called me, they stated they were wanting to interview all my guests. The website does not state that at all, just names and to provide egress.
You can bet your last dollar that BEFORE they are allowed in my home - business or not it is my home - they will need to provide me with their census id - (how do we know if a census id is real or fake? ). I already told them during our last call that they would need to contact us to set up an appt. as our doors are not 'open' to walk ins and we are sometimes not available. I still can not imagine how they are going to do this with hotels.

It said they should NOT have access to the inside of your home at all, they are to provide proper id and can interview you outside but not inside - they are not allowed to interview children..
JB, thanks for thinking of me on this. I have seen several warnings of this and the facts about their home interviews. What is different is the fact that all lodging establishments fall under different regulations. On the 2010 census website (can't recall the exact page) it states that all hotels, Inns, B&B's boarding houses etc. provide egress freely to the census taker. It also states that we are required to provide the names of those staying here on a temp. basis (not just those living here). It does not state the key date of 4/1 - as Mort. mentioned was on her questionaire, but they must use a date or everything would be messed up. (well then again, we are talking about the gov. lol)
The difference was that when this person from the local office called me, they stated they were wanting to interview all my guests. The website does not state that at all, just names and to provide egress.
You can bet your last dollar that BEFORE they are allowed in my home - business or not it is my home - they will need to provide me with their census id - (how do we know if a census id is real or fake? ). I already told them during our last call that they would need to contact us to set up an appt. as our doors are not 'open' to walk ins and we are sometimes not available. I still can not imagine how they are going to do this with hotels.
copperhead said:
They couldn't do it with hotels, "Get up out of that bed - what the heck do you two think you are doing?!!"
I mean, they can't, it would be impossible. Other than checking the guest "register" for who is here and where from. And on this same subject, what about our guests confidentiality? Disclaimer - I am not even implying any sort of political train of thought - just to clarify in case anyone takes the ball and runs with it - invisible or not. :)

copperhead said:
They couldn't do it with hotels, "Get up out of that bed - what the heck do you two think you are doing?!!"
I mean, they can't, it would be impossible. Other than checking the guest "register" for who is here and where from. And on this same subject, what about our guests confidentiality? Disclaimer - I am not even implying any sort of political train of thought - just to clarify in case anyone takes the ball and runs with it - invisible or not. :)
i got my official Census visit today. When I asked about April 1, they told me that my count would be official "today". This is actually the third visit, they started bugging me way back last summer! Anyway, the questionnaire only wanted to know about anyone who was here because they didn't have another permanent address, so that was just me.
They showed up during breakfast time when 4 other people were around the table, and were gracious enough to come back after breakfast. Two of them this time instead of just one. And IF the Census bureau decides to audit, I was told I might possibly expect one more visit.

copperhead said:
i got my official Census visit today. When I asked about April 1, they told me that my count would be official "today". This is actually the third visit, they started bugging me way back last summer! Anyway, the questionnaire only wanted to know about anyone who was here because they didn't have another permanent address, so that was just me.
They showed up during breakfast time when 4 other people were around the table, and were gracious enough to come back after breakfast. Two of them this time instead of just one. And IF the Census bureau decides to audit, I was told I might possibly expect one more visit.
We hav never received a thing!! Called the PO and they said everything had been delivered :-( I don't know who to blame but the PO. So we just wait until someone turns up at our door asking info. GRRRR...I have had it with our PO!

Back