2011 Overview

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
From this inn right here, just an overview of 2011 compared to 2010 (as always I am sharing this with you which is very personal information, this is a perk of our forum, to be able to compare sometimes these apples and oranges and to help us all improve)
  • Our avg daily rate was down slightly from 2010 to 2011
  • Our services sold (flowers, etc) were down from 2010 to 2011
  • Our occupancy was actually UP in 2011 slightly over 2010 - BUT the rooms rented were less expensive, therefore the avg daily rate dropping.
  • Our discounting was down in 2011 compared to 2010 as I tried to stick to my guns and do less discounting.
(This year 2012 I have the first ever BOGO for the entire month of February - people are booking the more expensive rooms and a few are adding on stuff)
So in a nutshell we had less revenue for 2011 compared to 2010. We did have a higher occupancy rate with less priced rooms being sold over higher priced. Less services like add ons or breakfast delivery.

• ADR up
  • Add ons even
  • Occ up, higher priced rooms booked
  • Discounting even
Contributing factors-
  • we removed a second bed from the least expensive room which forced an upgrade to a room that is $10 more/night.
  • we played the yield management game
Delimiting factors-
  • guests are paying the same price to stay in the winter as they have paid for 3-4 years
  • some frequent guests are paying less now than 3-4 years ago (they keep the lights on in the winter, it's all good)

The removing a second bed factor, that was mid-year wasn't it? How has that been working, people who wanted to pack into a room are going up the ladder on room rate? Is that correct?

The removing a second bed factor, that was mid-year wasn't it? How has that been working, people who wanted to pack into a room are going up the ladder on room rate? Is that correct?.
Joey Bloggs said:
The removing a second bed factor, that was mid-year wasn't it? How has that been working, people who wanted to pack into a room are going up the ladder on room rate? Is that correct?
March. We had a guest book it with 2 beds for Feb so we couldn't change until after that.
Yes, those who want 3 in a room are taking the other room instead. Altho, I still need a better photo of that room because it doesn't book as much as it should.

ADR up about 5%
Occupancy up about 4%
But January this year... sucks! My ADR is up but my occupancy way down.
I've been offering more packages that are prepaid. Less weekly winter stays.

• Revenue up
  • ADR up
  • Occupancy exactly the same
  • Add-ons down
None of these varied by more than a few percentage points from last year, though, so everything was in the noise level.

(1) Avergage room rate up about 5% and selling will have put up another 5% for this year and seems to be selling better! think this is partly because if you sell yourself too cheap they asume there is something wrong with you.
(2) Did a lot of renovations which means again we can charge more
(3) we took family rooms off our online booking to prevent 3 adults booking it and mainly sell them as doubles money after costs is the same and a butload less bother.
(4) Ive just taken on a channel management system which means I can advertise in a lot more places with out fear of double booking which hopefully will generate more revenue and mean a lot less stress for me as well as free up my time as I don't have to maintain it or take bookings over the phone.
(5) spending more time looking at what my competitors are doing ie similar standard what prices are they charging? travel zoo is an instant tool.
(6) chasing up regulars and past guests selectively is ringing conference guests who stayed 3 nights and getting them to book then chasing new people who book more nights - being more strickt about minimum nights ie busy events 3 or 4 nights.
(7) capitalising opportunities as they arise ie chap stayed on a training course for a local company discovered they run courses all year round send them a letter offering a corporate rate and they have booked 8 room nights in feb alone hoping for a similar set of bookings throughout the year.

One thing I think to include with what you list is whether your NET was up or down and / or to state whether your expenses were up or down. This is important information along with occ and revenue.
Ie if you were up 5% but expenses increased 7% that is an important factor

Back