2019 or 2020 ... guest, your choice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
In the USA, we've been waiting for the vaccine for a year, but apparently, didn't think how it would change our social distancing and policy for dealing with public accommodations.
Now US CDC finally said, vaccines help, and our state, Oregon (very blue) said, OK, if vaccinated, and you require customers to prove such, then, well, back to no masks and no social distancing.

This is our new policy sent out with confirmation:
COVID 19 Note for Summer 2021: we’ve made certain changes to keep you – and us – safe. We ourselves have been fully vaccinated against COVID. Accordingly, we're following State guidance for social distancing which reflects CDC policy based on vaccination status:
1. If you wish to show that you have been vaccinated against COVID then you and we will not need to wear face coverings and we will serve you in the great room -- pretty much as we used to do.
2. If you DO NOT wish to show that you have been vaccinated then the usual social distancing applies:
-- We’ll greet you in the parking area or at the front door and show you to your room.
It will be helpful for you to text or call 541-515-8153 when you are about to arrive.
-- We’ll wear a face covering and we request that you do also.
-- Breakfast will be served in the Guest Lounge or to your room.

So, sure enuff, guest shows up, could stereotype (rural origin, age, gender, vehicle), meeting outside, I say, I'm vaccinated, you? Him, No (implying, hell no). Me, pulling out mask, well, then cover up, house rules! He pulls out a football theme mask and we go inside.

WTF. I know, not supposed to do politics on this forum, but how the hell in the United States did public health and by extension, the health of our economy, get politicized and tangled in the culture wars?

So, I'm offering guest a choice: hospitality 2019 style, or 2020 style. Their choice; my labor.

This next couple of months will be extremely awkward for us all. And it's a shame there are people out there who will make it so.
But since my SO and staff are all vaccinated, I'm much less concerned.

Right now, I'm insisting the "hell no's" (We all know the answer to your question on why they exist, and you'll only find a few on this forum who won't admit it), have to wear a mask at my place. When my state makes masks "recommended" rather than "required," I'll probably soften up on that.

This next couple of months will be extremely awkward for us all. And it's a shame there are people out there who will make it so.
But since my SO and staff are all vaccinated, I'm much less concerned.

Right now, I'm insisting the "hell no's" (We all know the answer to your question on why they exist, and you'll only find a few on this forum who won't admit it), have to wear a mask at my place. When my state makes masks "recommended" rather than "required," I'll probably soften up on that.
We’re at the recommended stage to the east of you. I’ll let you know how that goes.

We just got the ‘no masks needed if vaxxed’ guidance from the health dept. I served my first mask-free breakfasts this week! I say up front I’ve had the shot, but will happily wear a mask if they would be more comfortable with me doing so. If on arrival they are masked up then I am too.

Thanks Anon. This seems common sense. Trying to decide how to handle and if/when to change my policy and guidelines on my website, etc. VA just lifted their indoor mask mandate last night. My husband and I are vaxxed and 2 out of 3 of my staff. The third will be shortly (I hope) and will mask up until then. I don't feel comfortable asking guests point blank about their vaccination status bc of another lifetime working for the SSA admin and helping to develop legislation protecting PII and HIPAA. I do think that sharing up front that I am vaccinated, but that I am happy to wear a mask, if a guest prefers me to is a good middle road. Thanks again.

Thanks Anon. This seems common sense. Trying to decide how to handle and if/when to change my policy and guidelines on my website, etc. VA just lifted their indoor mask mandate last night. My husband and I are vaxxed and 2 out of 3 of my staff. The third will be shortly (I hope) and will mask up until then. I don't feel comfortable asking guests point blank about their vaccination status bc of another lifetime working for the SSA admin and helping to develop legislation protecting PII and HIPAA. I do think that sharing up front that I am vaccinated, but that I am happy to wear a mask, if a guest prefers me to is a good middle road. Thanks again.
We’re changing the sign on the front door to let guests know masks are not required if the guests are vaccinated, but are required if the guests are not vaccinated. We will not be asking. That is more than likely naïve on my part. C’est la vie. Restaurants and stores can still require them so we’ve put in our terms that guests should be prepared to wear one if requested to.

Operating in a state that is 100% open we only have a mask optional policy. Offer a paper/plastic or China option in the dining room. Few are masking but most are not. Thank God.

The sign on the door says, Masks Required in the Lobby. Next week, the sign will say, The CDC and the State advise non-vaccinated individuals to wear masks or practice social distancing.

We aren’t going to ask. We are vaccinated, so we are safe. Others can do what they wish.

Back