24/7

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
I wake up this morning to a voicemail left at 1159PM last night.
"You'd probably get more business if you answered your phone 24/7" then they hang up!
Grrrr.... 59 more days til vacation and I can't wait. Not a good way to start the day... Let's hope the worst of the day is over.
angry_smile.gif

Ridiculous. We turn off our ringer at 9. We're tired and we have plenty of business.
Lucky for you, that is the exact person you DON'T want in your house.

Dodged a bullet there I'd say!
regular_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
regular_smile.gif
Yep. I turned down a call last night at 9, wanting a room for the night. People who wait until the last minute to look for a bed should go to hotels/motels. I want people who plan ahead!

You might get more business by answering your phone 24/7, but after a few months of working like that you'd end up in a padded cell, so they still wouldn't get an answer to their call.
What an idiot!
someone recently went to all the trouble of putting a reservation through our website with all made up details, cut/pasted our children policy from our website into the "additional information" section and put after it "you really don't like children".
the answer to that is of course, it's not the children that are the problem, it's the parents!!!!

You might get more business by answering your phone 24/7, but after a few months of working like that you'd end up in a padded cell, so they still wouldn't get an answer to their call.
What an idiot!
someone recently went to all the trouble of putting a reservation through our website with all made up details, cut/pasted our children policy from our website into the "additional information" section and put after it "you really don't like children".
the answer to that is of course, it's not the children that are the problem, it's the parents!!!!.
truly unbelievable. smh

"You probably get what you deserve for booking a place that answers 24 hours a day"

we close out at 8pm - you only get weirdos after then anyway - I need a good night's sleep to be up for my guests, don't want people that dumb anyway! had several a few weeks ago wanting a particular Saturday night, we had a room but turned them away cos don't want people who ring at midnight or 8am in the middle of breakfast - or who sound about 12

regular_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
regular_smile.gif
Yep. I turned down a call last night at 9, wanting a room for the night. People who wait until the last minute to look for a bed should go to hotels/motels. I want people who plan ahead!
Arks said:
Country Girl said:
regular_smile.gif
I want people who understand this is a Mom & Pop business; want the small unique feel. If they are calling at 0 dark 30, they do not understand my business and will not respect how we operate.
No reason to feel down, rejoice as you did dodge that bullet.

What an idiot!
the answer to that is of course, it's not the children that are the problem, it's the parents!!!!.
We just turned away a $2500 reservation because our policy does not allow children under 12. We have learned that the short term gain is the long term loss.

8 o'clock came and went and our three 4-day checkins had not shown. DH called and she said, "Oh! I've been meaning to call you all day! My grandmother died and we can't come."
Bottom line, she agreed she owed the money, no issue. She still wants to take the short vacation with friends.
They cancelling changed a 4 room breakfast to a 1 room breakfast. Big difference. But their failing to let us know caused us to wait. At home. Not go out. Not put on a movie. Not go for a walk.
Anyway, best excuse ever, but annoying. Not so much for a short notice cancellation as much as the shopping for breakfast and then the waiting.

8 o'clock came and went and our three 4-day checkins had not shown. DH called and she said, "Oh! I've been meaning to call you all day! My grandmother died and we can't come."
Bottom line, she agreed she owed the money, no issue. She still wants to take the short vacation with friends.
They cancelling changed a 4 room breakfast to a 1 room breakfast. Big difference. But their failing to let us know caused us to wait. At home. Not go out. Not put on a movie. Not go for a walk.
Anyway, best excuse ever, but annoying. Not so much for a short notice cancellation as much as the shopping for breakfast and then the waiting..
WOW ! best excuse ever,.Yes and she knows it works. I wonder if that really is the case by the way she handle it. Oh well if that she does not mind paying for the 4 days . You still go off to the bank. Also waiting still pays for it self.

What an idiot!
We just turned away a $2500 reservation because our policy does not allow children under 12. We have learned that the short term gain is the long term loss.
Did the same just last night. Somebody else will book and we and our guests do not have to put up with 3 years old. And if it does not book - I am OK with that as well. This has been busy summer for us and I have very little patience left to deal with other's people kids.

Anyway, best excuse ever, but annoying. Not so much for a short notice cancellation as much as the shopping for breakfast and then the waiting..
we had this and had turned away one of our regulars that afternoon who was going to have to sleep on a friends couch - rang them 9pm they said oh we didn't know till 6pm we wouldn't be able to come - I said I wish you had as I have a wait list for tonight and could have immediately sold it for you - now I will have to charge in full

Baygirl said:
I wake up this morning to a voicemail left at 1159PM last night.
"You'd probably get more business if you answered your phone 24/7" then they hang up!
Grrrr.... 59 more days til vacation and I can't wait. Not a good way to start the day... Let's hope the worst of the day is over.
angry_smile.gif
Stuff like that is irksome, isn't it? I would stew over that wanting to cal them at midnight and ask if they still needed a room. But that solves nothing. But it's annoying to have that rattling around in your head.

Back