3 Simple Ways to cut the Food Cost in your Bar/Restaurant

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
3 Simple Ways to cut the Food Cost in your Bar/Restaurant
from our mate Barry the Bar Blogger
I bet one word will jump out at you from the three.
cheers.gif

It would be great if there was a way to do a cost analysis with all the recipes we post here. While all are yummy, some may not be as cost effective as others.
Not to hijack this thread, but in this forum we have discussed the topic of NOT putting out afternoon snacks because they are costing us extra and with little or no return. We do need to look at what we are spending to feed the masses.

It would be great if there was a way to do a cost analysis with all the recipes we post here. While all are yummy, some may not be as cost effective as others.
Not to hijack this thread, but in this forum we have discussed the topic of NOT putting out afternoon snacks because they are costing us extra and with little or no return. We do need to look at what we are spending to feed the masses..
One of DH's proudest moments (he's an engineer so take this with a grain of salt!) is figuring out that by giving folks 3 instead of 4 grapes with breakfast would save us over $130/year. We've got a spreadsheet for EVERYTHING here!!!

Not to hijack this thread, but in this forum we have discussed the topic of NOT putting out afternoon snacks because they are costing us extra and with little or no return. We do need to look at what we are spending to feed the masses..
One of DH's proudest moments (he's an engineer so take this with a grain of salt!) is figuring out that by giving folks 3 instead of 4 grapes with breakfast would save us over $130/year. We've got a spreadsheet for EVERYTHING here!!!
Don Draper said:
Hey he may be right - we serve grapes all the time with our cheese plates and they are EXPENSIVE!!!!
Riki

Don Draper said:
Hey he may be right - we serve grapes all the time with our cheese plates and they are EXPENSIVE!!!!
Riki
The size of the grape matters too!

And, manage food waste. Cutting out a grape per serving won't save $ if the "saved" grapes end up in compost pail.

JB, are you a member, looks like they're doing a trial $1 membership, but I'm hesitant to enter the CC info.....would like the costing calculator.
Nat

And, manage food waste. Cutting out a grape per serving won't save $ if the "saved" grapes end up in compost pail..
Do all grape bunches have the same amount of grapes?
I'm all for working the #'s....it's very cool how things add up.....cost savings can be $ hundreds to $ thousands in a year.

And, manage food waste. Cutting out a grape per serving won't save $ if the "saved" grapes end up in compost pail..
No, nothing gets wasted. If you give them 4 grapes they'll eat 4, but now we only give them 3. We don't keep any food long enough here to spoil, it gets used up.

I use a database program called "Cook'n" that does cost analysis for me. All of my recipes are there, so when meal planning, I just point, click and drag the various recipes to be used during the week, then tell it how many people I have. It prints out a shopping list, organized by categories like you find in the grocery store, as well as a total cost - both total and by the individual serving. It can also calculate nutritional values. Of course, it is only as accurate as you are with keeping up with the cost of food ingredients.

I use a database program called "Cook'n" that does cost analysis for me. All of my recipes are there, so when meal planning, I just point, click and drag the various recipes to be used during the week, then tell it how many people I have. It prints out a shopping list, organized by categories like you find in the grocery store, as well as a total cost - both total and by the individual serving. It can also calculate nutritional values. Of course, it is only as accurate as you are with keeping up with the cost of food ingredients..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I use a database program called "Cook'n" that does cost analysis for me. All of my recipes are there, so when meal planning, I just point, click and drag the various recipes to be used during the week, then tell it how many people I have. It prints out a shopping list, organized by categories like you find in the grocery store, as well as a total cost - both total and by the individual serving. It can also calculate nutritional values. Of course, it is only as accurate as you are with keeping up with the cost of food ingredients.
Ooh, that sounds handy!

Wages in the United States have been stagnant for some time. But costs keep increasing. That is especially true of food expenses, the one thing we cannot go without. Crop shortages, global warming, political bickering and a weak dollar are all combating your flat-line paycheck. Nothing left to do but to spend less, am I right? Chances are that you'll be eating more wholesomely, too. These ideas may help. Investigate https://personalmoneynetwork.com/

Back