3 Trends in Travel Marketing for 2012-13

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcZ

Reaction score
Business2Community recently posted this article about current trends in Travel Marketing.
1.Going Green 2.Personalized Experiences 3.Mobile, mobile. mobile
http://www.business2community.com/marketing/3-trends-in-travel-marketing-for-2012-13-0301813?goback=.gmr_1786380.gde_1786380_member_178339044
Is your inn marketing inline with these trends?

Great points! A year or so ago I started a thread or added to one on this topic of ONE CLICK SHOPPING, as I went to a website and it was at least 10 clicks before I got to make the reservation, and it was not good! This is ALWAYS something worth reminding us about. For some, they want to meander around the website and check everything out, for others they want to book, and BOOK NOW.
"The travel marketing industry has to create personalized experiences on mobile and make it as easy as possible. One-click reservations, mobile check-ins and alerts for offers and deals are just a few ways to differentiate yourself from the competition. Do not create a long process between your customer coming to your mobile site and them booking a room/flight/hotel/car. Make it easier and they will return."
Read more at http://www.business2community.com/marketing/3-trends-in-travel-marketing-for-2012-13-0301813?goback=.gmr_1786380.gde_1786380_member_178339044#3hFUqUv25ZHjyvKP.99

Hi MarcZ!
I totally agree with Steve’s article about the Three Trends in Travel Marketing especially with the mobile trends, it so important with so many travels now using mobile and tablets.
We normally recommend what is called “responsive design” of the website instead of just a mobile version of the website.
The other element that is crucial and very important is content marketing, especially due to the latest change in Google search engine optimisation and ranking formula. Basically what needs to happen is that Inn Keepers and tourism Operators need to constantly write content about their businesses and that’s very time consuming, very difficult for some of them that are not very tech savvy and do not have a powerful content management system.
By writing content I am not only talking about words but also talking about photos, videos and potential guest’s written testimonials that could be published in a blog. It is really important for tourism operators and Inn Keepers to actually get a strategy in place to continuously add content towards their brand on the internet, so that is what going to make or break the success of a tourism online.
Thanks for sharing that great article!

Hi MarcZ!
I totally agree with Steve’s article about the Three Trends in Travel Marketing especially with the mobile trends, it so important with so many travels now using mobile and tablets.
We normally recommend what is called “responsive design” of the website instead of just a mobile version of the website.
The other element that is crucial and very important is content marketing, especially due to the latest change in Google search engine optimisation and ranking formula. Basically what needs to happen is that Inn Keepers and tourism Operators need to constantly write content about their businesses and that’s very time consuming, very difficult for some of them that are not very tech savvy and do not have a powerful content management system.
By writing content I am not only talking about words but also talking about photos, videos and potential guest’s written testimonials that could be published in a blog. It is really important for tourism operators and Inn Keepers to actually get a strategy in place to continuously add content towards their brand on the internet, so that is what going to make or break the success of a tourism online.
Thanks for sharing that great article!.
swissfabs said:
Hi MarcZ!
So you said some good things on here. I am a little confused. On another forum topic on here, You promote talking to guests on the phone before making reservations in person right? This article is talking about 1 click reservations. How do you do that with a phone?

Hi MarcZ!
swissfabs said:
Hi MarcZ!
So you said some good things on here. I am a little confused. On another forum topic on here, You promote talking to guests on the phone before making reservations in person right? This article is talking about 1 click reservations. How do you do that with a phone?
Hi Bob!
Oh no no I am all *for* online bookings and against not offering online bookings! Sorry if my response to the post on the https://www.innspiring.com/node/12264#comment-131958 was unclear when I said "very interesting post! Many of the b&bs and Inns I work with are against online bookings as they want to "talk to the person" and make a decision themselves."
What I have been doing for the last 5 years is providing training to Aussie operators and inn keepers to fully embrace online bookings and marketing :)
Cheers
Fabie

Hi MarcZ!
swissfabs said:
Hi MarcZ!
Hi Bob!
Oh no no I am all *for* online bookings and against not offering online bookings! Sorry if my response to the post on the https://www.innspiring.com/node/12264#comment-131958 was unclear when I said "very interesting post! Many of the b&bs and Inns I work with are against online bookings as they want to "talk to the person" and make a decision themselves."
What I have been doing for the last 5 years is providing training to Aussie operators and inn keepers to fully embrace online bookings and marketing :)
Cheers
Fabie
Makes me think twice about staying any place like this... my first thought... discrimination.

Hi MarcZ!
swissfabs said:
Hi MarcZ!
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
swissfabs said:
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
Make a decision about the guest staying there? Wow I have not heard of such a thing, we are open to the public, unless they do damage to their room which can only be known once they stay with us.
Stick around Fabie, there is much wisdom on this forum, online reservations were REQUIRED about 5-10 years ago, it is an amenity for the guest. They can book any time from any where and complete their travel plans, if you make me phone to book a room I WON'T.
Said simpler, they have NO IDEA HOW MANY RESERVATIONS THEY ARE not GETTING.
We are in the internet age, we want to plan our getaway, holiday or whatever and have it done, we have a lot of i's to dot to get the thing planned out. We want it now. Old people, young people, they all want it now. With the cell phone and texting mania that was in Australia YEARS ago I am sure it has not gone in reverse, those innkeepers need to get with the pgrm. They are the ones losing revenue.
PS There is no other "marketing" it is all online, which is awesome and a huge money saver for all innkeepers, vs paying to be in directories and printed matter, this is where it is.

Hi MarcZ!
swissfabs said:
Hi MarcZ!
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
swissfabs said:
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
Make a decision about the guest staying there? Wow I have not heard of such a thing, we are open to the public, unless they do damage to their room which can only be known once they stay with us.
Stick around Fabie, there is much wisdom on this forum, online reservations were REQUIRED about 5-10 years ago, it is an amenity for the guest. They can book any time from any where and complete their travel plans, if you make me phone to book a room I WON'T.
We are in the internet age, we want to plan our getaway, holiday or whatever and have it done, we have a lot of i's to dot to get the thing planned out. We want it now. Old people, young people, they all want it now. With the cell phone and texting mania that was in Australia YEARS ago I am sure it has not gone in reverse, those innkeepers need to get with the pgrm. They are the ones losing revenue.
PS There is no other "marketing" it is all online, which is awesome and a huge money saver for all innkeepers, vs paying to be in directories and printed matter, this is where it is.
Hi Joey,
I totally agree with you, we have conducted a study here in Australia recently and - mainly small business owners - are still against online booking which is such as shame as it closes the door to not only being bookable on their website but from anywhere.
I believe the root of the problem is deeper than just sticking an online booking system onto a website. Many of those businesses who do not wish to have online bookings still take reservations on a book so switching to "new" technology would mean radically changing their business process. They really need more assistance than just the one of a sales rep trying to get them to buy into a system. I find what works really well is to get a younger person within their business (e.g. an intern for 3 months) to help them transition.
Oh, and yes, I will stick around :) you guys are a lovely bunch! I have actually emailed a few of my workshop attendees to let them know about this forum. If you get an influx of visits by Aussie I am afraid I am the cause. It is too good a forum not to share it!
Fabie

Hi MarcZ!
swissfabs said:
Hi MarcZ!
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
swissfabs said:
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
Hi Joey,
I totally agree with you, we have conducted a study here in Australia recently and - mainly small business owners - are still against online booking which is such as shame as it closes the door to not only being bookable on their website but from anywhere.
I believe the root of the problem is deeper than just sticking an online booking system onto a website. Many of those businesses who do not wish to have online bookings still take reservations on a book so switching to "new" technology would mean radically changing their business process. They really need more assistance than just the one of a sales rep trying to get them to buy into a system. I find what works really well is to get a younger person within their business (e.g. an intern for 3 months) to help them transition.
Oh, and yes, I will stick around :) you guys are a lovely bunch! I have actually emailed a few of my workshop attendees to let them know about this forum. If you get an influx of visits by Aussie I am afraid I am the cause. It is too good a forum not to share it!
Fabie
The one thing Aussie's hate is to be told that they are 10 years behind the Yanks. And well, it is always true with technology. We say the same of the UK (not trying to put anyone down, it is just reality) whereas overseas they always felt B&B websites should all look the same, stick badges all over them and make their guests work for information, they think everyone should be the same, here in the USA we want to stand out from the others, the competition, so in doing this online reservations is a guest amenity.
It also gives an inn a professional appearance, vs a homestay. So there are many reasons, which you already know, of course.
But if it were me, I WOULD watch what the inns in the USA do and take notes. Of course there are plenty here behind the times with crapola websites, poor photos and no online reservations. Some of us need to bait the hook a little more to get our reservations, we don't have location location location.
PS Fabienne my sister in law and brother in law live in Brisbane and are police officers there. :)

Hi MarcZ!
swissfabs said:
Hi MarcZ!
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
swissfabs said:
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
Ok I gotcha! Glad to have you on here!

Hi MarcZ!
swissfabs said:
Hi MarcZ!
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
swissfabs said:
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
;-)
On another note, where can I read more about everyone's business, see pics etc? You all got me interested!

Hi MarcZ!
swissfabs said:
Hi MarcZ!
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
Makes me think twice about staying any place like this... my first thought... discrimination.
Where I am only know 1 BB that doesn't do online reservations but they have an excellent web site (normally but are just under construction for a new one at the moment) and are very high up on trip adviser (ie number I think) and have a beautiful place so if you ever stay there it wouldn't be a problem getting you back.
She won't do it as she is terrified of overbooking - personal choice I suppose.
Out of the other 77 BB's where I am thats a pretty good percentage that are on.

Hi MarcZ!
swissfabs said:
Hi MarcZ!
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
swissfabs said:
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
;-)
On another note, where can I read more about everyone's business, see pics etc? You all got me interested!
You have to be a detective to do that
wink_smile.gif
Most of us here are incognito because we can be tracked and we prefer to remain anonymous. But there are some who have links with their profiles.

Hi MarcZ!
swissfabs said:
Hi MarcZ!
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
swissfabs said:
Hi Bob!
Cheers
Fabie
;-)
You can start by clicking on the Featured Inn at the top right of the page

Back