35 Places to advertise your blog

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This blog lead me here where I found this.
http://www.hotelmarketing.com/index.php/content/article/hotel_web_design_tips_to_capture_direct_bookings/
So...what do the "big boys" do when all seem to use if FLASH on the home page? Go to a script type slide show???
1. Retire your Flash-based site.
Flash was a popular early multimedia platform because it enabled interactivity on websites when there were no alternatives. But Google sees flash-based websites as black boxes that its crawlers can’t examine. Organic search discovery drops, and hotel SEO / search engine ranking with it. Also, flash-based hotel websites are incompatible with most mobile devices. If neither Google nor mobile devices can see you, guests will never know you’re there.

http://www.hotelmarketing.com/index.php/content/article/hotel_web_design_tips_to_capture_direct_bookings/
So...what do the "big boys" do when all seem to use if FLASH on the home page? Go to a script type slide show???
Flash was a popular early multimedia platform because it enabled interactivity on websites when there were no alternatives. But Google sees flash-based websites as black boxes that its crawlers can’t examine. Organic search discovery drops, and hotel SEO / search engine ranking with it. Also, flash-based hotel websites are incompatible with most mobile devices. If neither Google nor mobile devices can see you, guests will never know you’re there..
There are some gorgeous sites out there that are all flash. But, anything that wants me to 'click here to enter' or do any kind of interacting with it other than to book a room loses me. Immediately. Gorgeous sites, but I'm not hanging around. And a few of them still require that I download something to view it.

Flash was a popular early multimedia platform because it enabled interactivity on websites when there were no alternatives. But Google sees flash-based websites as black boxes that its crawlers can’t examine. Organic search discovery drops, and hotel SEO / search engine ranking with it. Also, flash-based hotel websites are incompatible with most mobile devices. If neither Google nor mobile devices can see you, guests will never know you’re there..
We have talked about this here, flash in the pan, and what is next? I don't know how you keep up with it CL. Always something new on the horizon. You gave me the best advice the very first time I met you on the old about.com forum when I had the splash "INTRO" page and you warned me about it killing SEO on our website. I listen and learn.
Being away for a week having to rely on a mobile device - I can attest that those flash pages were pure annoyance for me. They have said that with the mobile websites your "device" is suppose to detect which one and pick the mobile version. Is this really working? I didn't find it did on the device I had.

There are some gorgeous sites out there that are all flash. But, anything that wants me to 'click here to enter' or do any kind of interacting with it other than to book a room loses me. Immediately. Gorgeous sites, but I'm not hanging around. And a few of them still require that I download something to view it.
Ike I don't mind flash as long as it is not ginormous. We have all seen those sites lately with a header the size of baltimore harbor, they drive you batty. Back up and get the heck out of my face! (Close window/tab)!

We have talked about this here, flash in the pan, and what is next? I don't know how you keep up with it CL. Always something new on the horizon. You gave me the best advice the very first time I met you on the old about.com forum when I had the splash "INTRO" page and you warned me about it killing SEO on our website. I listen and learn.
Being away for a week having to rely on a mobile device - I can attest that those flash pages were pure annoyance for me. They have said that with the mobile websites your "device" is suppose to detect which one and pick the mobile version. Is this really working? I didn't find it did on the device I had.
Excellent question about the mobile sites. HOW does the phone detect a mobile site vs a stationary site? Is it something I have to add to the page itself? (Page type= mobile?) A certain directory I need to list it under on my site? HOW does the phone know?

Ike I don't mind flash as long as it is not ginormous. We have all seen those sites lately with a header the size of baltimore harbor, they drive you batty. Back up and get the heck out of my face! (Close window/tab)!
I still like my little slideshow but I know some guests don't get it. They call me and say it goes too fast and they can't pick the room they want when it is moving like that. I ask if they scrolled down a little to see the static photos? No. They didn't realize there was anything else. I tried to keep it small enough so you could see there was more down the page.

Excellent question about the mobile sites. HOW does the phone detect a mobile site vs a stationary site? Is it something I have to add to the page itself? (Page type= mobile?) A certain directory I need to list it under on my site? HOW does the phone know?
It is within the code of the page itself. We have been tickled with our mobile website, we can tell when a booking comes through on it. Paid for itself in 2 days this summer.

Back