3rd new one in a month

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I'm not complaining about this! We've had our 3rd new restaurant open here in a month. We've now been to all of them. I am embarrassed for the owners and don't know whether or not to say anything. The spelling on the menus is atrocious. It's as if no one knows English or the mgmt team just doesn't care enough to get it right. The grammar is not good either.
The more established places have got it right. So these newbies look pretty bad. And, it makes the town itself look stupid.
So, say something or keep quiet?

Say something. Your intentions are good. If they don't appreciate it, you don't have to worry, you did your best.

It may be related to the overall deterioration in spelling and grammar we're seeing as a result of texting, which has made it acceptable, to many, to forget the rules, or never learn them, all in the name of speedy communication.
I can't stand it. Eric, do you know if the same thing is happening to French? Would they stand for such a thing? I'll call for the guillotine, if I could spell it.

I would say something. Maybe just go pull the manager aside and say something like " I really enjoyed the food, but I noticed alot of spelling and grammar errors on the menu and I thought I should tell you about them"
See how they react and if they accept willingly maybe you could say more. If they had good food and good service, then you will be helping them. Oh and tell them that too.

id say something - maybe send an email or letter if you didn't want to say it in person - would not however if have otherwise had a good experience do a mention on tripadviser

I would say something. Maybe just go pull the manager aside and say something like " I really enjoyed the food, but I noticed alot of spelling and grammar errors on the menu and I thought I should tell you about them"
See how they react and if they accept willingly maybe you could say more. If they had good food and good service, then you will be helping them. Oh and tell them that too..
That's what I thought. So, I emailed the GM at the first place a month ago. Never heard back and nothing changed. So I guess they don't care. And they are still calling everyone 'you guys'. And, no, it is not a sports bar it's high end (price-wise and decor-wise).
They are all figuring to make a go on the tourist trade when it's the locals who will keep them open all year.

See how they react and if they accept willingly maybe you could say more. If they had good food and good service, then you will be helping them. Oh and tell them that too..
That's what I thought. So, I emailed the GM at the first place a month ago. Never heard back and nothing changed. So I guess they don't care. And they are still calling everyone 'you guys'. And, no, it is not a sports bar it's high end (price-wise and decor-wise).
They are all figuring to make a go on the tourist trade when it's the locals who will keep them open all year.
our restaurants have found a way round this 2 sets of menu's each marked with a symbol (1) with slightly cheaper price for locals and (2) for conference delegates with the more pricy items on and a bit higher price
keeps the regulars happy and allows them to cream the out of towners
I don't approve but its one way of getting round it

"you guy" I hate that at restaurants. Obviously not given any training either :-(

You will be addressed as "y'all" at our local restaurants because we don't currently have anything upscale. More like Mel's Diner on the old sitcom "Alice".
But they're currently working on the place right across the street from my guesthouse, to put in an Italian restaurant, perhaps with a liquor permit. Fingers crossed!!!

I would say something to the Manager on Duty when I was in the restaurant. I would put it that someone forgot to spell check the menu and you care enough to point it out because you know people will notice. You want them to succeed and spelling and grammar DO count with the people who will be their clientele.

You will be addressed as "y'all" at our local restaurants because we don't currently have anything upscale. More like Mel's Diner on the old sitcom "Alice".
But they're currently working on the place right across the street from my guesthouse, to put in an Italian restaurant, perhaps with a liquor permit. Fingers crossed!!!.
If everyone here said 'you guys' it would be one thing. But it's only this one place right now. And it was so unexpected it really bothered me.

Maddie, you may need to call or speak with them in person. I have run across so many businesses that have email addresses but never read the emails. Or what if your message went to spam - we know most people do not read those.
I have emailed many local businesses and have gotten in the habit of using the return receipt/del. notif. on emails to such that I want to make sure they were seen.
It still doesn't mean they will listen, but you gave it your best shot! We met with one of our local attractions here after having many guest tell us how rude the ticket office was. The owner then turned on us with the same tone we had been told about. They are now getting pounded on TA and we direct our guests to a competitor. You can't fix stupid!

Maddie, you may need to call or speak with them in person. I have run across so many businesses that have email addresses but never read the emails. Or what if your message went to spam - we know most people do not read those.
I have emailed many local businesses and have gotten in the habit of using the return receipt/del. notif. on emails to such that I want to make sure they were seen.
It still doesn't mean they will listen, but you gave it your best shot! We met with one of our local attractions here after having many guest tell us how rude the ticket office was. The owner then turned on us with the same tone we had been told about. They are now getting pounded on TA and we direct our guests to a competitor. You can't fix stupid!.
You can't fix stupid!
You can but unfortunately it is illegal and carries a stiff to permanent sentence. :He needed killin' no longer is recognized as justifiable.

Off on another tack here...recently we have also had new stores open and old stores try new marketing schemes. So, 2 different places have brought by bags of goodies for me to hand out to guests. Kind of nice of them to do this but... nothing is labeled. The last one a kid showed up at the door and said hi mom wanted us to hand these things out to the guests. As it is an art store I figured it would be something recognizable. No, they also do 'home made' beauty products. So, here I am with a bagful of ? I don't know. It looks like salt with herbs in it. I haven't opened them, I won't hand them out and now I will bring them back and explain why.
Same thing happened with another place. Wanted me to hand out unlabeled bottles of what? As I guest I would assume if that was in my room that housekeeping was slacking off.
BIG name preppy apparel place asked me if I would hand out coupons to their store. Sure, no problem, they've been good to us and the mgr is a nice, helpful guy.
Every guest who has mentioned using the coupon (and buying a nice shirt or sweater for $5!!!) has said the clerks had no idea there was such a coupon out there. This has been going on for 2.5 weeks. So, it seems the same people do not work each week.

Off on another tack here...recently we have also had new stores open and old stores try new marketing schemes. So, 2 different places have brought by bags of goodies for me to hand out to guests. Kind of nice of them to do this but... nothing is labeled. The last one a kid showed up at the door and said hi mom wanted us to hand these things out to the guests. As it is an art store I figured it would be something recognizable. No, they also do 'home made' beauty products. So, here I am with a bagful of ? I don't know. It looks like salt with herbs in it. I haven't opened them, I won't hand them out and now I will bring them back and explain why.
Same thing happened with another place. Wanted me to hand out unlabeled bottles of what? As I guest I would assume if that was in my room that housekeeping was slacking off.
BIG name preppy apparel place asked me if I would hand out coupons to their store. Sure, no problem, they've been good to us and the mgr is a nice, helpful guy.
Every guest who has mentioned using the coupon (and buying a nice shirt or sweater for $5!!!) has said the clerks had no idea there was such a coupon out there. This has been going on for 2.5 weeks. So, it seems the same people do not work each week..
I wonder what these businesses are thinking. Not only can you not hand out unlabeled stuff but it also does the business no good as they are not providing the label with their business NAME. Surely they are not expecting you to stand there and hand out this 'stuff' and say that this came from XYZ business and you can find them at 123 Main Street!! On second thought, I think this is exactly what they are expecting!
cry_smile.gif

It still doesn't mean they will listen, but you gave it your best shot! We met with one of our local attractions here after having many guest tell us how rude the ticket office was. The owner then turned on us with the same tone we had been told about. They are now getting pounded on TA and we direct our guests to a competitor. You can't fix stupid!.
You can't fix stupid!
You can but unfortunately it is illegal and carries a stiff to permanent sentence. :He needed killin' no longer is recognized as justifiable.
gillumhouse said:
You can't fix stupid!
Yes you can.
DIY-Vasectomy-Magnet-Set_5934-l.jpg

You can't fix stupid!
gillumhouse said:
You can't fix stupid!
Yes you can.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
You can't fix stupid!
Yes you can.
omg_smile.gif

You can't fix stupid!
gillumhouse said:
You can't fix stupid!
Yes you can.

Good one! But by the time they are identified, it is too late - they have already reproduced!!!

Every guest who has mentioned using the coupon (and buying a nice shirt or sweater for $5!!!) has said the clerks had no idea there was such a coupon out there. This has been going on for 2.5 weeks. So, it seems the same people do not work each week..
I wonder what these businesses are thinking. Not only can you not hand out unlabeled stuff but it also does the business no good as they are not providing the label with their business NAME. Surely they are not expecting you to stand there and hand out this 'stuff' and say that this came from XYZ business and you can find them at 123 Main Street!! On second thought, I think this is exactly what they are expecting!
cry_smile.gif

It's amazing how many people open a business and have no clue! Next thing you know, the business is closed down and they're blaming the economy. It's just rampant in our small towns.
A couple of weeks ago I specifically went to our local farmer's market which is more of a craft fair, since there's not much farm produce to be found there. I wanted to introduce myself to a local potter who sells at this farmer's market. I had been following him on FB for awhile. Sooo, I introduce myself, tell him I would like to feature/sell some of his items in my gift pantry and/or send guests to his 'shop'. I get a whole long sob story about how he just does this part time but would love to go full time with it, he doesn't have a shop/store and won't do anything on commission. He doesn't offer any wholesale price, so his $20 coffee mug, I would have to buy for $20 and then add some % on top of that. Oh, and he would not create any special item just for us.
WHAT?!?! Are you kidding? There's no way I would do that. So, I'm not going to promote his 'business' and I won't buy any of his stuff. This guy will never be able to be full time with his small thinking.
Do you think they look at the successful businesses and think that they're making it just because they're lucky?

cry_smile.gif

It's amazing how many people open a business and have no clue! Next thing you know, the business is closed down and they're blaming the economy. It's just rampant in our small towns.
A couple of weeks ago I specifically went to our local farmer's market which is more of a craft fair, since there's not much farm produce to be found there. I wanted to introduce myself to a local potter who sells at this farmer's market. I had been following him on FB for awhile. Sooo, I introduce myself, tell him I would like to feature/sell some of his items in my gift pantry and/or send guests to his 'shop'. I get a whole long sob story about how he just does this part time but would love to go full time with it, he doesn't have a shop/store and won't do anything on commission. He doesn't offer any wholesale price, so his $20 coffee mug, I would have to buy for $20 and then add some % on top of that. Oh, and he would not create any special item just for us.
WHAT?!?! Are you kidding? There's no way I would do that. So, I'm not going to promote his 'business' and I won't buy any of his stuff. This guy will never be able to be full time with his small thinking.
Do you think they look at the successful businesses and think that they're making it just because they're lucky?
No, you do not work so you just must be rich. YOU are correct, small minds will never see the "big picture" nor how to get to the future having a future. He is just a victim who cannot make it in the current economy (not any economy but he will not wee it that way).
During the several years I was waiting for my potter to get back to potting (too many sick family members!!), I approached a more local potter about making my style mugs. Nope, he only made what he wanted to make - his style that was just too clunky and 18th century for what I needed. He lost. Thankfully, my potter is back to work - sort of. Sigh!

Back