4 kids, 2 parents

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Had a guest book 2 rooms for 6 people, neglected to tell me 4 of them were children. Children are not a problem but I generally plan a menu that involves foods kids like, not spinach quiche. When I told them what breakfast was, mom grimaced. I asked right then and there if they had any food allergies or things they didn't eat. 'No, no food allergies.' I hope they don't give me grief in the morning.
OTOH, unless mom and dad split up, 3 kids will be in one room alone. It looks like a couple of them are teens. And given one kid is a boy and the other 3 are girls, I'm guessing the boy camps with mom and dad and the 3 girls hang out together.

give the kids scrambles, without the spinach ... but i've had kids gobble it up if the parents don't react like there will be a problem. you never know!
i have a repeat guest here, comes every july, this time for eight nites, he wants the same breakfast every day ... scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage and english muffin with grape jelly, plus coffee. no matter what i make, i fix his scrambles for him. and he's happy.

give the kids scrambles, without the spinach ... but i've had kids gobble it up if the parents don't react like there will be a problem. you never know!
i have a repeat guest here, comes every july, this time for eight nites, he wants the same breakfast every day ... scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage and english muffin with grape jelly, plus coffee. no matter what i make, i fix his scrambles for him. and he's happy..
I have a lady who wants oatmeal every morning! Go figure.

i have a repeat guest here, comes every july, this time for eight nites, he wants the same breakfast every day ... scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage and english muffin with grape jelly, plus coffee. no matter what i make, i fix his scrambles for him. and he's happy..
I am already making scrambled eggs for one person (but she's like your person, she eats the exact same breakfast every year), and perhaps her husband will opt for the scrambled eggs as well. They told me 4 years ago what they like and that's what I make for them.
I am NOT taking orders from 4 kids and their parents. This is one time when I go against my 'ask them what they want' credo. She didn't tell me she was bringing 4 kids and I'll be damned if I'm changing the menu now that all the other guests have seen what it is.
And once I start asking at breakfast if someone wants something different than what is posted, everyone thinks it's a restaurant.
They can all eat cereal and we'll have quiche for lunch for a week.
sad_smile.gif

I am already making scrambled eggs for one person (but she's like your person, she eats the exact same breakfast every year), and perhaps her husband will opt for the scrambled eggs as well. They told me 4 years ago what they like and that's what I make for them.
I am NOT taking orders from 4 kids and their parents. This is one time when I go against my 'ask them what they want' credo. She didn't tell me she was bringing 4 kids and I'll be damned if I'm changing the menu now that all the other guests have seen what it is.
And once I start asking at breakfast if someone wants something different than what is posted, everyone thinks it's a restaurant.
sad_smile.gif

We would love to accept kids. Have you ever had a problem with kids crying or running down hallways, or just being a big pain in the you know where. lol. Have you ever had a complaint from other guests about kids? would love to know. we have so many people who want to bring their children and we feel so bad telling them no.

sad_smile.gif

We would love to accept kids. Have you ever had a problem with kids crying or running down hallways, or just being a big pain in the you know where. lol. Have you ever had a complaint from other guests about kids? would love to know. we have so many people who want to bring their children and we feel so bad telling them no.
Stick with couples only. We had a delightful 1 yo here last weekend. Really, he was a sweetie pie. But I am STILL finding Cheerios and places he wiped his little hands (windows, TV, dressers, furniture in the living room, and probably more I have missed).
2 young girls running thru the suite broke the door stop off and pushed the top corner of the door thru the ceiling.
4 very young kids who sounded like a herd of elephants (and whose parents knew better) pounded up the front stairs at 11 PM causing the couple whose room was by the stairs to say they'd never return.
2 kids who probably ARE very intelligent treat us like we're lower life forms. They actually sneer at us. But that comes from their parents. They haven't been back in 2 years and it's for the best. I had a sign on the small fridge that said 'Guest Fridge', rather than writing the whole thing out 'Refrigerator for use by guests'. The one older kid looked at me and said, 'So do you have a fridge that stays here all the time?' and then laughed at me.
And YOU don't want the aggro of having to worry about kids and your dogs. No matter how nice the Saints are, kids can be a terror around dogs, goading them into bad behavior. I don't let my dog out with kids unless it is outside where the dog can get away from them.

sad_smile.gif

Stick with couples only. We had a delightful 1 yo here last weekend. Really, he was a sweetie pie. But I am STILL finding Cheerios and places he wiped his little hands (windows, TV, dressers, furniture in the living room, and probably more I have missed).
2 young girls running thru the suite broke the door stop off and pushed the top corner of the door thru the ceiling.
4 very young kids who sounded like a herd of elephants (and whose parents knew better) pounded up the front stairs at 11 PM causing the couple whose room was by the stairs to say they'd never return.
2 kids who probably ARE very intelligent treat us like we're lower life forms. They actually sneer at us. But that comes from their parents. They haven't been back in 2 years and it's for the best. I had a sign on the small fridge that said 'Guest Fridge', rather than writing the whole thing out 'Refrigerator for use by guests'. The one older kid looked at me and said, 'So do you have a fridge that stays here all the time?' and then laughed at me.
And YOU don't want the aggro of having to worry about kids and your dogs. No matter how nice the Saints are, kids can be a terror around dogs, goading them into bad behavior. I don't let my dog out with kids unless it is outside where the dog can get away from them.
yikes! okay ........
i thought the scrambled was an easy option.
if i had the choice, i'd only take adults. as we've discussed before, because of our size, etc., we have to take children.
we have had children here recently (3) who appeared at the door two hours before check in -- no parents in site --- we told them they were too early to check in and that they needed to be with their parents to come in. (they weren't little or i would have been worried about sending them across the way to find their folks. ) their parents stayed away from the children as much as possible it seems. and it was awful!
tonite, i just checked in two women with small boys -- two separate rooms - it's just the one nite, i hope it works out okay.

sad_smile.gif

Amen to that. I just think of the OTHER couples and what they would think upon awakening to little feet running down the hallway. And, the saints aren't acclimated to this. There would be barking and who knows what.

My kids would like the spinach quiche. If they didn't, then they can wait til lunch to eat.
We take kids, because we have kids. And we only have four rooms. And I'm very comfortable telling other people's kids what not to do. So far every kid we've had has been awesome; well behaved, and non-destructive.
OTOH, my talcum bombers arrived today and as they came in the door one of them wiped out a little shelf with a little lamp on top, as well as decorative items on the other three shelves. Growing up we were told to be super careful about that shelf... well, apparently it's more durable than we all thought since the only real damage was the lightbulb burned out.
If I was a romantic getaway destination, then no way I'd take kids, but it's our niche and it works great for us, and it's been nice to be able to bless traveling families with a nice place for the whole family to stay. It's definitely not for everyone!
Oh, and I think keeping the prices high enough helps, too...
=)
Kk.

Option 1:
Kids = oj, french toast cut into sticks or triangles, sausage links so they can run their hands along the walls with their greasy fingers.
Then day 2 option 1:
same as above
Day 3
A bowl of sugary cereal so they can bounce off the ceiling or option 1
Actually there are some kids who eat everything and are grateful. I applaud those parents. It is really NOT that hard to do.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
A frying pan across the back of the butt encourages them.

Option 1:
Kids = oj, french toast cut into sticks or triangles, sausage links so they can run their hands along the walls with their greasy fingers.
Then day 2 option 1:
same as above
Day 3
A bowl of sugary cereal so they can bounce off the ceiling or option 1
Actually there are some kids who eat everything and are grateful. I applaud those parents. It is really NOT that hard to do.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
A frying pan across the back of the butt encourages them..
Tomorrow is french toast. With lots of syrup. I don't think I have to worry. They were pretty good about brekkie today. Even my 'scrambled egg only' ate the quiche.

When we stayed at the Williamsburg B&B the room next door had 2 boys, 9 &12. I never heard a peep from them. They also slept in so we didn't see them at breakfast either. As a guest I would rather not have small children in the Inn. I think the first time Caitlin stayed at a B&B with me she was 13, I could have taken her to one much earlier because she's always liked doing those kinds of things with me and has been well mannered.

My kids would like the spinach quiche. If they didn't, then they can wait til lunch to eat.
We take kids, because we have kids. And we only have four rooms. And I'm very comfortable telling other people's kids what not to do. So far every kid we've had has been awesome; well behaved, and non-destructive.
OTOH, my talcum bombers arrived today and as they came in the door one of them wiped out a little shelf with a little lamp on top, as well as decorative items on the other three shelves. Growing up we were told to be super careful about that shelf... well, apparently it's more durable than we all thought since the only real damage was the lightbulb burned out.
If I was a romantic getaway destination, then no way I'd take kids, but it's our niche and it works great for us, and it's been nice to be able to bless traveling families with a nice place for the whole family to stay. It's definitely not for everyone!
Oh, and I think keeping the prices high enough helps, too...
=)
Kk..
Having done most of our traveling with at least 4 of our 6 two-legged animals, I have sympathy for those traveling with them.
Quite honestly I have had more problems from idiot parents who stand there and sy, "he is a picky eater" so now the kid has to prove it.
The only thing I do when there are kids in-house is to remove the dolls from the room - remove emptation. As Socks can tell you, there are dolls all over the place and in the dining room there is one sitting on the edge of the shelf, and no kid has ever touched it. The breakage I have had has been by adults, and the only doll ever broken was when MY big foot hit the doll chair nd dumped her face first onto the marble hearth with predictable results for a porcelian doll face (fortunately not one of my m-i-l dolls).
I admit, we have been lucky - the very few times we had babies who were squallers (maybe 2 in 12 years), no one else was in-house. The kid that was the biggest PITA that I wanted to slap around was a 21 year old going to compete in Dressage at the Nationals. The way she talked to her Mother.....

We have had 3 lots of children so far ... first set of 3 (2 almost teen girls and one 8 ish year old boy) alone in one room. There was clothes and things every where.
The next were 2 under teen boys with an older brother ... tidier than some adults we have had. Polite, and if not for the Mexican tummy they were having the younger boys tried every thing, well that they could if they didn't run from the breakfast table. Only thing was the smell that they left behind. Puberty I was told. Smell gone, very nice family.
Next one are arriving in September I think. The booking is all one group thankfully and all 4 rooms :) but they are bringing three kids, oldest being 3. Had had kids, a long time since mine were that age. We will firm things up more when the date gets closer as to what they "think" we will be supplying for breakfast.
We do not have a kid friendly environment. This was explained. It was suggested that we pick up a few items like some type of seat and sleeping thingy. We mentioned we are not set up for kids, we have an OPEN POOL (Mexican law allows open pools and besides, we all live behind huge rock walls). She said she still wanted to come. I personally am a wee bit worried about the open pool, and not being able to control the critters (spiders, scorpions, etc). She wants to come and stay with us ... oh ... and if it warrants, she too will post for us on Trip Advisor. I hope she isn't the person she is making herself sound to be like when she and her troop finaly do arrive.
I will be able to say that we will not be purchasing any special equipment for children. This will be the testers before we add to our rules .. no children under the age of ??
We want the bookings, but at what price? They are all coming for an event (a wedding I believe) and should hopefully all be away during the days. This will work out and all will be fine. I will be on pins and needles while those kids are on the property, I am also sure that our Chi's (Chihuahua's) will find themselves inside the house most of the time and away from tiny hands.

sad_smile.gif

We don't take kids as we are a "Wine Country" B&B with wine as part of our amenities. We don't want to be responsible for the parents who don't watch them - and we have 13 acres of forest and a vineyard and lots of poison ivy. And animals all about.
But the main reason is that we have lots of anniversaries, proposals, birthdays and lots and lots of parents who have driven long distances to leave kids with parents or are paying a lot of money to sitters.
The last thing they want is the sound of little feet and/or crying or fussing at breakfast. We are a romantic or a re-connect destination and prefer it that way. Kids would add far too much work.
riki

We have had 3 lots of children so far ... first set of 3 (2 almost teen girls and one 8 ish year old boy) alone in one room. There was clothes and things every where.
The next were 2 under teen boys with an older brother ... tidier than some adults we have had. Polite, and if not for the Mexican tummy they were having the younger boys tried every thing, well that they could if they didn't run from the breakfast table. Only thing was the smell that they left behind. Puberty I was told. Smell gone, very nice family.
Next one are arriving in September I think. The booking is all one group thankfully and all 4 rooms :) but they are bringing three kids, oldest being 3. Had had kids, a long time since mine were that age. We will firm things up more when the date gets closer as to what they "think" we will be supplying for breakfast.
We do not have a kid friendly environment. This was explained. It was suggested that we pick up a few items like some type of seat and sleeping thingy. We mentioned we are not set up for kids, we have an OPEN POOL (Mexican law allows open pools and besides, we all live behind huge rock walls). She said she still wanted to come. I personally am a wee bit worried about the open pool, and not being able to control the critters (spiders, scorpions, etc). She wants to come and stay with us ... oh ... and if it warrants, she too will post for us on Trip Advisor. I hope she isn't the person she is making herself sound to be like when she and her troop finaly do arrive.
I will be able to say that we will not be purchasing any special equipment for children. This will be the testers before we add to our rules .. no children under the age of ??
We want the bookings, but at what price? They are all coming for an event (a wedding I believe) and should hopefully all be away during the days. This will work out and all will be fine. I will be on pins and needles while those kids are on the property, I am also sure that our Chi's (Chihuahua's) will find themselves inside the house most of the time and away from tiny hands..
We had made an exception for children, allowing a two and six year old with a family who booked the whole inn. They were problems right from the beginning, showing up with 16 people when they booked 14. This was before we were able to cite the fire code to limit the number to 12. What a mistake it was for us! The adults allowed those kids to rum rampant through the house, including 30 minutes of a ball rolling down the stairs into the front hallway. We put a stop to that activitiy, finally.
That was the last time we allowed young children even with a group. We take them over 12, and only one to a room, and not on weekends or times when we are likely to be full because of the 12-guest limit.

When we stayed at the Williamsburg B&B the room next door had 2 boys, 9 &12. I never heard a peep from them. They also slept in so we didn't see them at breakfast either. As a guest I would rather not have small children in the Inn. I think the first time Caitlin stayed at a B&B with me she was 13, I could have taken her to one much earlier because she's always liked doing those kinds of things with me and has been well mannered..
That's why we say we welcome children 10 and older. We just state that our B & B is not child proof and we are small and have to be considerate of our other guests.

Back