4 simple ways to educate your customers about what you sell

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can't see putting a tent card on my table when I want them to feel at home, not a restaurant. This is what I have DH for anyway - to start conversation! Usually he begins by asking what they have planned & if nothing or questions, he starts rattling off the events or attractions and by then, they are chatting away and he can get back to being waiter extraordinaire! And for those times that they do not start chatting, it just isn't meant to be!

CH I have done this, mentioning a local ice cream parlor (if the weather it hot) or something silly-esque. But I also have a framed blackboard in the dining room I use for this purpose on and off. This is the one I used to write guests names and city or country on. I don't do that all the time now, but had "Happy 40th" to a couple this week there.
I find it is the old reading of the cereal box effect. People like to read at breakfast. I have a vintage crock from Australia with old postcards on the table that gets read at nearly every breakfast. I found OLD postcards, 1920's and 30's most of them, and very eloquent handwriting.

When we bought this B&B and prepared to move across country, a very nice older man approached me one day at church and mentioned that he loves the state we were moving to, his daughter went to uni there. He had spent dozens of nights at B&B's in this region. He said "My only advice to you is this...do not treat your guests like idiots by posting little notes all over your B&B." He went on to say that they were so turned off by that and never would stay twice at a B&B with little stick-em notes everywhere.
I remember his warning well. I have stayed places with little notes since and recalled what he said and felt the same "you are just a dumb guest."

When we bought this B&B and prepared to move across country, a very nice older man approached me one day at church and mentioned that he loves the state we were moving to, his daughter went to uni there. He had spent dozens of nights at B&B's in this region. He said "My only advice to you is this...do not treat your guests like idiots by posting little notes all over your B&B." He went on to say that they were so turned off by that and never would stay twice at a B&B with little stick-em notes everywhere.
I remember his warning well. I have stayed places with little notes since and recalled what he said and felt the same "you are just a dumb guest.".
I agree with the post it notes everywhere...that is a total turnoff..but I don't see an Informative little table tent telling of events going on as "another note" for the guests.
Maybe then a bulletin board with a heading of Local Events and post something there for folks to read??? I guess it all is a fine line.

I remember his warning well. I have stayed places with little notes since and recalled what he said and felt the same "you are just a dumb guest.".
I agree with the post it notes everywhere...that is a total turnoff..but I don't see an Informative little table tent telling of events going on as "another note" for the guests.
Maybe then a bulletin board with a heading of Local Events and post something there for folks to read??? I guess it all is a fine line.
catlady said:
That's what we do - I made a cork bulletin board and it's in the tasting room with what's going on and we also put the weekly free newspapers in the library and in their rooms. Those list anything that's going on.
Riki

Here is the thing. I am not wanting to print out a weekly update of events, man o war do I already have enough of that going on as it is. I cut events from the paper and tape them to one sheet of paper, have CVB prints out, the blog, another blog, the website on and on it goes. Most of the time NO ONE bothers with any of it, and they have their own agenda. So this was why I thought perhaps a list of annual events, but again, if they are big events and we are ALREADY BOOKED for them, I don't want to waste our time on it.
In light of making things easier - what Info would YOU YOURSELF find helpful? I have a list of hikes nearby in every room in a plastic sleeve and still have guests ring the bell to ask where they can go hike. So the overwhelming information is not the suggestion.
What would YOU find helpful? Say it was just you and a friend or a spouse at the table...?

catlady said:
I do this, it never gets read. I even point it out on check-in...'Here's what's happening over the next couple of days.' RARELY does anyone come and say, 'Hey, we went to XYZ event!'

Here is the thing. I am not wanting to print out a weekly update of events, man o war do I already have enough of that going on as it is. I cut events from the paper and tape them to one sheet of paper, have CVB prints out, the blog, another blog, the website on and on it goes. Most of the time NO ONE bothers with any of it, and they have their own agenda. So this was why I thought perhaps a list of annual events, but again, if they are big events and we are ALREADY BOOKED for them, I don't want to waste our time on it.
In light of making things easier - what Info would YOU YOURSELF find helpful? I have a list of hikes nearby in every room in a plastic sleeve and still have guests ring the bell to ask where they can go hike. So the overwhelming information is not the suggestion.
What would YOU find helpful? Say it was just you and a friend or a spouse at the table...?.
Hate to say it, but I'd like to know what's happening today and tomorrow. Give me a reason to stay another night if I am so moved. Is there some little event that is totally local? I'm probably not going to read the bulletin board (so why the heck do I keep updating the one I have if even I wouldn't read it!)
I just sent folks from far and wide off to the Mo xie Fest. Odd little event that really isn't much of anything if you show up between 'acts'. But it's one of those little, local, no one has ever heard of it events that some tourists really like.
The alewives heading upstream is another totally local thing that people seem to get a kick out of. It's weird and wonderful and they're only going to see it hereabouts.
How about this...you can publish your blog in book form. Have you done anything like that? Have THAT out where people can see it, or hand it off and tell them about the tons of things they can do (I'd set that up for things that happen every year or are outdoor things). Set it up in chapters (if you can). 'Outdoors', 'Festivals', whatever. Yeah, I know, there's no time! Why I haven't done it!

What would YOU find helpful? Say it was just you and a friend or a spouse at the table...?.
"Today's BIG event in Home Town, USA is ........Ask your innkeeper for details." Something with humor would be great. And when there is really NOTHING going on send them to someplace that's fun. Like homemade ice cream at the local dairy.
I like the idea of using a photo holder at the table. They take up little room and you can pop in whatever size info card you want, whether it's biz card size or postcard size. I used them in the rooms for my "No smoking" signs and to stick our photo postcards in them that they could take.
I think that this would work especially well at two or four-topper tables.
Thanks for sharing, JB!!

"Today's BIG event in Home Town, USA is ........Ask your innkeeper for details." Something with humor would be great. And when there is really NOTHING going on send them to someplace that's fun. Like homemade ice cream at the local dairy.
I like the idea of using a photo holder at the table. They take up little room and you can pop in whatever size info card you want, whether it's biz card size or postcard size. I used them in the rooms for my "No smoking" signs and to stick our photo postcards in them that they could take.
Thanks for sharing, JB!!
Love that and I was just thinking of all the cute ones I've seen. A one-liner like that is great. Having a bunch printed up that say different things for different times of year, too. (I do this for the cookies. I have a ton of little tent cards for the different kinds of snacks. I should probably just get an erasable placeholder.)
'Our suggestion for today...' with different seasonal activities like berry-picking or whatever.
Oh boy, I'm liking this even more as that is something I can do easily.

Thanks for sharing, JB!!
Love that and I was just thinking of all the cute ones I've seen. A one-liner like that is great. Having a bunch printed up that say different things for different times of year, too. (I do this for the cookies. I have a ton of little tent cards for the different kinds of snacks. I should probably just get an erasable placeholder.)
'Our suggestion for today...' with different seasonal activities like berry-picking or whatever.
I like that "suggestion for the day...". Super! I used table place cards for the afternoon baked goods. Picked them up at the Dollar Store in the wedding section. Cheap and easy. :)

Thanks for sharing, JB!!
I like that "suggestion for the day...". Super! I used table place cards for the afternoon baked goods. Picked them up at the Dollar Store in the wedding section. Cheap and easy. :)
Samster said:
So I am coming around!!!! Like the little place card holder idea with a 'suggestion for the day' instead of a tent card. Quick, small and EZ!

What would YOU find helpful?
Helpful to me would be a recommendation to do something that the innkeeper has done. Not "oh in this part of the county, there is this, that, and the other thing."
I would much rather, "we've been to here, done this, liked this"...that sort of thing. I'd much prefer a short print out of something that comes with a glowing recommendation vs. a generic something to do.
Just me 2 cents...

Em you remind me of a question I wanted to ask the innmates here...I will start a new thread. I am curious.

Back