40% off Square contactless chip reader through Vistaprint

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anon, I didn't get any email like this and can't find anything on Vistaprint about the offer. Actually I'm curious about the contactless chip reader. I have the free readers ... what is a contactless reader?

Anon, I didn't get any email like this and can't find anything on Vistaprint about the offer. Actually I'm curious about the contactless chip reader. I have the free readers ... what is a contactless reader?.
seashanty said:
... what is a contactless reader?
Don't know anything about the Vistaprint offer, but in the UK contactless payment is pretty common now. Usually the reader has 4 green lights across the top and when you make a payment with a contactless card you just hold your card near the reader until the 4 green lights come on and the machine beeps. No signature, no pin.
In the UK contactless is limited to £30 per transaction (because of the lack of security) which is why although my new desktop card machine accepts contactless I doubt I'll ever use it.
I have my debit card linked to Androidpay so I can also make contactless payments using my phone. I just hold my phone next to the reader.
In Europe I've seen contactless used for amount >£30, in these situations the machine will ask for the pin. I've never seen this work in the UK.

Anon, I didn't get any email like this and can't find anything on Vistaprint about the offer. Actually I'm curious about the contactless chip reader. I have the free readers ... what is a contactless reader?.
seashanty said:
Don't know anything about the Vistaprint offer, but in the UK contactless payment is pretty common now. Usually the reader has 4 green lights across the top and when you make a payment with a contactless card you just hold your card near the reader until the 4 green lights come on and the machine beeps. No signature, no pin.
In the UK contactless is limited to £30 per transaction (because of the lack of security) which is why although my new desktop card machine accepts contactless I doubt I'll ever use it.
I have my debit card linked to Androidpay so I can also make contactless payments using my phone. I just hold my phone next to the reader.
In Europe I've seen contactless used for amount >£30, in these situations the machine will ask for the pin. I've never seen this work in the UK.
Our limit is $100 and it's extremely common.... how common? When a store doesn't have it, they have to put up a note telling people. Mine is also linked on my phone and for some businesses, it's a virtual card number that doesn't match my real credit card number.
Had a store insist that I had to present my original card to get my money back, I had to show them the android receipt that showed the same last 4 digits as the virtual card.

seashanty said:
Our limit is $100 and it's extremely common.... how common? When a store doesn't have it, they have to put up a note telling people. Mine is also linked on my phone and for some businesses, it's a virtual card number that doesn't match my real credit card number.
Had a store insist that I had to present my original card to get my money back, I had to show them the android receipt that showed the same last 4 digits as the virtual card.
The only exception I have seen is the Warehouse Club a $200 limit. And one of the reasons that you see a bewildered look when we visit down south. We don't understand how you don't have this technology all over the place when it's everywhere by us. You pay for fast food like this. Your coffee, etc.

seashanty said:
A lot of stores still don't have the chip reader set up. I rarely see cards that have the symbol on them for use with the contactless readers. I've tried a few but maybe I'm doing it wrong. And no one has tried to use their phone here yet.

Did I tell you my bank account was hacked just before Christmas? Someone had all the info for my debit card and bought not one, but two, cell phones from a place called boost mobile to the tune of $1600.
This threw my checking account into overdraft because, of course, I was making purchases, and the credit union started transferring funds to cover from my savings account.
It was the night before Christmas Eve and I went online to check my account balance and freaked. Of course, no one home at the little credit union. Boost was like, 'oh sorry that happened. File a police report. And talk to your financial institution.' I asked them to flag that debit card number for additional purchases but they were no help at all.
I got a number for MasterCard fraud line and they deactivated my debit card. When the credit union opened again the day after Christmas I had to file paperwork that these were fraudulent charges. It took a while but all is straightened out and all refunded.
I had become really comfortable with using my debit card all over the place and now am carrying cash again. I have a new debit card but don't want to use it. I liked carrying a card instead of cash. :(
It's 'funny' how worried I get about having the reno. house being empty ... that someone will break it and steal or vandalize. I worry about physical robberies but did not think someone would copy my card info and use it.

Did I tell you my bank account was hacked just before Christmas? Someone had all the info for my debit card and bought not one, but two, cell phones from a place called boost mobile to the tune of $1600.
This threw my checking account into overdraft because, of course, I was making purchases, and the credit union started transferring funds to cover from my savings account.
It was the night before Christmas Eve and I went online to check my account balance and freaked. Of course, no one home at the little credit union. Boost was like, 'oh sorry that happened. File a police report. And talk to your financial institution.' I asked them to flag that debit card number for additional purchases but they were no help at all.
I got a number for MasterCard fraud line and they deactivated my debit card. When the credit union opened again the day after Christmas I had to file paperwork that these were fraudulent charges. It took a while but all is straightened out and all refunded.
I had become really comfortable with using my debit card all over the place and now am carrying cash again. I have a new debit card but don't want to use it. I liked carrying a card instead of cash. :(
It's 'funny' how worried I get about having the reno. house being empty ... that someone will break it and steal or vandalize. I worry about physical robberies but did not think someone would copy my card info and use it..
Barn door closed and all of that, but never use your debit card anywhere other than at an ATM at your bank. Or, at least at another bank. Always check for skimmers.
Money hijacked from a debit card is not easily found. Especially if they just clean you out. It's almost like cash.
Sorry you had that happen. Very stressful.

It's 'funny' how worried I get about having the reno. house being empty ... that someone will break it and steal or vandalize. I worry about physical robberies but did not think someone would copy my card info and use it..
Barn door closed and all of that, but never use your debit card anywhere other than at an ATM at your bank. Or, at least at another bank. Always check for skimmers.
Money hijacked from a debit card is not easily found. Especially if they just clean you out. It's almost like cash.
Sorry you had that happen. Very stressful.
Yes ... I got to feeling like it was no big deal to use the debit card. I still don't like carrying cash around. Some suggested just use a credit card and pay it off but I liked using my 'cash card' whine whine whine.

They managed to get into my bank account somehow, but the only thing they could do was a fully traceable transfer to someone else for $300. The bank is supposed to refund it in a week. I had to get a new card. But I've had my CC cloned via hacks in the US at least 4 times. Bank refunded me on the spot for those. But now my account sends me an SMS anytime someone makes a transaction.
I used my card to pay for something at a pharmacy in South America and a minute later the sms came in.

seashanty said:
We are having it on our new machine as we sell breakfast separately so that's under the £30 and we do reception sales ie drinks, moisturiser and so on so would be handy but only if its not extra.

That's horrible! I'm so sorry this happened to you. I never use my debit card; I only use credit cards. If someone steals your credit card info, at least you'll still be able to pay your bills while the credit card company investigates the fraudulent charges. Plus, a lot of credit card companies offer rewards. Costco cash back, frequent flyer miles, etc. Two of my cards earn points that I can redeem for gift cards at Bed Bath & Beyond, Sephora, Best Buy, and tons of other retailers and restaurants.
You can always pay the cc off every month. Nowadays it's even easier because you can transfer funds electronically to the cc.

The offer is past now. I didn’t check it out because I already have the contactless reader. It reads chip cards and does Apple Pay, though I haven’t had any of those yet. I don’t remember the cost. It would be on the Square site.
So sorry about the debit problem.
:(

The offer is past now. I didn’t check it out because I already have the contactless reader. It reads chip cards and does Apple Pay, though I haven’t had any of those yet. I don’t remember the cost. It would be on the Square site.
So sorry about the debit problem.
:(
Thank you.
I guess it was the kick I needed to remind myself not to use that debit card! All money refunded, thank goodness!

Back