5 Reasons Your Business Should Be Blogging

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloggers:
  • Does your blog allow others to post comments, or is it only your own comments? What are the pluses and minuses of this?
  • Is your blog just another page on your website, or is hosted at a different place, like blogger.com? What are the pluses and minuses of this?

Mine allows comments and I don't get many but they are nice and one was from Australia.
Mine is linked to a page on my website - I used blogger - Catlady helped me set it up
RIki

Bloggers:
  • Does your blog allow others to post comments, or is it only your own comments? What are the pluses and minuses of this?
  • Is your blog just another page on your website, or is hosted at a different place, like blogger.com? What are the pluses and minuses of this?
I think somewhere around here there is quite a thread about this discussion. Bottom line..it doesn't matter. Most blogs allow you to set it up to accept comments or not. That is your choice. The Wordpress sites I do, I intall Askimet which is an anti spam plug in. Also I use fast secure contact plug in. You can set up the blog just about any way you want.

Bloggers:
  • I allow comments but I moderate them - that is, I check them before they are published. Usually I find spam but once someone tried to post a bad review of a town restaurant on our blog - they had searched to find every place the restaurant was mentioned and sent the same rant. Delete. I think it's good to have relevant comments.
  • It is under our domain (using the cname setup, I think) but located on blogger. This was easier at the time I set it up but I would probably install my own wordpress blog now. I do another website under wordpress and it works pretty well. My programmer husband hates it, though, and prefers to just do straight html editing, which he can do on either.

Bloggers:
I allow moderated comments. What tends to happen occasionally is another B&B goes searching for B&B blogs to post links to their own place. I don't allow the links, but I will allow the 'Nice blog!' comment and edit out the rest. Because I use Blogger, there is a built-in Captcha code so not a lot of random spam shows up, just targeted spam!
My blog is hosted on Blogger, I do not have it as part of my website, just have a link to it.

I open it up to comments then I make them moderated only, like I did this morning after some maroon posted links to dog beds. Spam is ferocious at the moment, so I will keep it moderated only for now.

Bloggers:
More questions for Bloggers:
What do you call your blog? Specifically, what's the anchor text of the link to your blog from your website homepage? Do you actually call it a "blog?"
For those who are self-hosting wordpress (or other blog software) on your own website, what is the path name for the directory housing the blog? Something like harborfields.com/blog/ or something else?

Bloggers:
What do you call your blog? Specifically, what's the anchor text of the link to your blog from your website homepage? Do you actually call it a "blog?"
For those who are self-hosting wordpress (or other blog software) on your own website, what is the path name for the directory housing the blog? Something like harborfields.com/blog/ or something else?
I use 'blog' as the link text. It's more to let the viewer know where they're going. My blog traffic runs in reverse- from the blog to the website. Hardly any clicks from the website to the blog.

Bloggers:
I use 'blog' as the link text. It's more to let the viewer know where they're going. My blog traffic runs in reverse- from the blog to the website. Hardly any clicks from the website to the blog.
Madeleine said:
Amen to that. But that is what I am after. I would like folks to see the blog from the website link and go "Holy cow! There is more to do than we thought, we better add on another night!" I have a link to it in their confirmation as well. But it is the reverse.
I want people to not really read the word blog itself or alone, I use different terms, I need to batten down the hatches really and stick with one "Funky Events Blog" and a box with the blog name and "Local event blog <blog name here>"
But I share the blog everywhere, twitter, FB, etc. I want them to click to the website and book a room!
Please oh please bloggers put your location on your blog somewhere, ie BIRDS OF A FEATHER BLOG - then say Birds of a Feather B&B in Little Rock, AR. I saw one the other day and for hte life of me could not find where in the heck the inn was located! and I am fast!! Don't make people work.
K.I.S.S. as always, applies.

Here is a guest blogger article on InnteractiveInns you may enjoy:
Finally starting a blog for your inn?[/h3].
For those who stress over this stuff- blogging, being on Facebook, having a Twitter account, figuring out how to set up Google+, if anyone should even bother with half the things that everyone says they have to do, here's a little sanity check:
  • Will you keep any of these things current? Or will there only be a blog post from 6 months ago showing up?
  • Do you have a message you want to get out there? What is it? Is this the best way to get your message out?
  • Adding all of this stuff to your website- will it make your website look like a billboard for Facebook and Twitter, losing your message completely?
Before you stress another minute over it, make the conscious decision to jump on the bandwagon or to stay where things are. Don't jump because 'everyone' says you have to. Jump because you have something to say and the time to say it.
Check your fear factor at the door. Are you holding back because you're 'scared' you can't write? A blog doesn't have to be War and Peace, in fact it should be more like 'The top 5 things...' Think about how you interact with the guests when they are in your inn. Can you write up a quick blurb about something guests always ask about? You're a blogger in the making.
Keep a notebook by your computer, by your bedside, at your elbow when you read the paper. Jot some notes, plump them up a bit and write a few lines (as if you were talking to a guest about this particular thing) and then put it out there.
Make a note on your calendar to write one blog/week. If you have a very productive writing day, schedule 3-4 blogs ahead to come out on a particular day of the week.
But, if you can't commit, don't start. Nothing worse than a dead blog, Facebook account, Twitter feed to make it look like you just don't care.

Here is a guest blogger article on InnteractiveInns you may enjoy:
Finally starting a blog for your inn?[/h3].
For those who stress over this stuff- blogging, being on Facebook, having a Twitter account, figuring out how to set up Google+, if anyone should even bother with half the things that everyone says they have to do, here's a little sanity check:
  • Will you keep any of these things current? Or will there only be a blog post from 6 months ago showing up?
  • Do you have a message you want to get out there? What is it? Is this the best way to get your message out?
  • Adding all of this stuff to your website- will it make your website look like a billboard for Facebook and Twitter, losing your message completely?
Before you stress another minute over it, make the conscious decision to jump on the bandwagon or to stay where things are. Don't jump because 'everyone' says you have to. Jump because you have something to say and the time to say it.
Check your fear factor at the door. Are you holding back because you're 'scared' you can't write? A blog doesn't have to be War and Peace, in fact it should be more like 'The top 5 things...' Think about how you interact with the guests when they are in your inn. Can you write up a quick blurb about something guests always ask about? You're a blogger in the making.
Keep a notebook by your computer, by your bedside, at your elbow when you read the paper. Jot some notes, plump them up a bit and write a few lines (as if you were talking to a guest about this particular thing) and then put it out there.
Make a note on your calendar to write one blog/week. If you have a very productive writing day, schedule 3-4 blogs ahead to come out on a particular day of the week.
But, if you can't commit, don't start. Nothing worse than a dead blog, Facebook account, Twitter feed to make it look like you just don't care.
Awesome points Maddie.
And one more thing, if you have nothing to say, put a photo on the blog. A photo is worth a 1000 words, so that is better than nothing, aye!

Got a WordPress blog up and running today. We're still a few weeks from beginning construction to rehabilitate my 1902 building for tourist accommodations, so I decided to blog about the construction project, then I'll turn it into a guesthouse blog once I get the thing open. That way I'll get some experience and begin getting my website a few SEO points.
I'll also blog about local events, things to do here, etc. Good practice.
The WordPress deal is nice, since all the files are right in there in my own web host directory and the blog address is just http://www.MyWebSite.com/blog
I have a lot to learn, and am worn out after a day of setting it up and learning about it, but will do some blog posting soon...I promise myself.

Got a WordPress blog up and running today. We're still a few weeks from beginning construction to rehabilitate my 1902 building for tourist accommodations, so I decided to blog about the construction project, then I'll turn it into a guesthouse blog once I get the thing open. That way I'll get some experience and begin getting my website a few SEO points.
The WordPress deal is nice, since all the files are right in there in my own web host directory and the blog address is just http://www.MyWebSite.com/blog
I have a lot to learn, and am worn out after a day of setting it up and learning about it, but will do some blog posting soon...I promise myself..
its the way to go as it helps to build interest before you even open which is a good thing.

I have a lot to learn, and am worn out after a day of setting it up and learning about it, but will do some blog posting soon...I promise myself..
Guests love the behind the scenes stuff. Good for you!

I too like the construction/behind the scenese images and articles. I love the blog in Michigan who is remodeling the old hotel and mansion. Sorry I haven't had my coffee yet, I forgot the name of it...something Lodge in the woods. Can someone share that blog link again, I have it here...somewhere...must be the lunar eclipse causing this...
WAIT! I REMEMBERED THE NAME!
http://birchlodge.blogspot.com/

I too like the construction/behind the scenese images and articles. I love the blog in Michigan who is remodeling the old hotel and mansion. Sorry I haven't had my coffee yet, I forgot the name of it...something Lodge in the woods. Can someone share that blog link again, I have it here...somewhere...must be the lunar eclipse causing this...
I'll study the birchlodge pages. Thanks!

I'll study the birchlodge pages. Thanks!
they are one of us! but they are mad busy at the moment so havn't time to pop in much!

Back