5 Tips for getting more bookings using good phone skills

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was trained by Don Farrel's company and was a trainer for them - trust me phone and sales skills WORK, the hotels I trained increased conversion rates from 30-70% (we know, we tracked calls before and after) - now keep in mind those were larger hotels with lots of rooms but the principles are the same

I was trained by Don Farrel's company and was a trainer for them - trust me phone and sales skills WORK, the hotels I trained increased conversion rates from 30-70% (we know, we tracked calls before and after) - now keep in mind those were larger hotels with lots of rooms but the principles are the same.
I went to one of his presentations when he came to my area. He ROCKS. It was 3 years ago and to this day, I use what he taught. It works. It really works. But it is work. You can't just half-way to do. In for a penny, in for a pound.

DW was in customer relations for over 30 years, yet she makes me, "the grump" take phone calls. She's trained me (as much as it is possible to train a husband) to follow those points and more.
Because every call is different, I'm still learning. It is true that you need to smile when you answer the phone, but unless you are genuine, engaging and personable, you come across as an idiot savant. It really helps if you can be interested in the caller while still maintaining a firm business persona. I say this because if you come across like a long lost relative, you open yourself up for all kinds of trouble.
Besides your cheat sheets, KNOW YOUR POLICIES and stick to them. If you want to give discounts, know what they are up front or you could give away the farm without meaning too. Most importantly, IT IS O.K. TO SAY NO.

Back