5 ways travelers have lost their manners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 5th - RESPECT (or lack there of) really covers it all in a nutshell, doesn't it?
No repect of others, their surroundings or for themselves.
And Jetblue in the news again to day this time all due to a 'wacky' passenger - "she called for flight attendants then hit a male attendant with her fists when he came to help. The woman [young - late teens/twenties] also spat at one of the attendants, another passenger, tells AP. The flight attendants responded quickly and moved the woman to another seat, tied her hands and calmed her down."

Well, people don't dress up for flying anymore because we're jammed into a seat with no leg room. I think there are a lot of people out there that don't care anymore as more & more flight amenities are either non-existent or there's a charge for them. Check your bag when you have to pay for it? Probably why there's a 40 lb carry on. And $3 for a snack size bag of chips? Come on......
Having just traveled on a couple of tight tin cans, I will say that aside from the usual jumping up in the aisle the minute that they could to de-plane, the folks were very nice on both flights.

Well, people don't dress up for flying anymore because we're jammed into a seat with no leg room. I think there are a lot of people out there that don't care anymore as more & more flight amenities are either non-existent or there's a charge for them. Check your bag when you have to pay for it? Probably why there's a 40 lb carry on. And $3 for a snack size bag of chips? Come on......
Having just traveled on a couple of tight tin cans, I will say that aside from the usual jumping up in the aisle the minute that they could to de-plane, the folks were very nice on both flights..
Samster said:
I will say that aside from the usual jumping up in the aisle the minute that they could to de-plane, the folks were very nice on both flights.
What is it about people that make them want to be the first off a plane and the first on the elevator? Elevator people really baffle me. "Dude, let us all off before you try cramming in all at once".

Having just traveled on a couple of tight tin cans, I will say that aside from the usual jumping up in the aisle the minute that they could to de-plane, the folks were very nice on both flights..
Samster said:
I will say that aside from the usual jumping up in the aisle the minute that they could to de-plane, the folks were very nice on both flights.
What is it about people that make them want to be the first off a plane and the first on the elevator? Elevator people really baffle me. "Dude, let us all off before you try cramming in all at once".
A lot of times with planes, it's making the connection to their final destination. You know, it's often tough to get a direct flight these days. But on my return flight, we were actually about 20 minutes early! So, I guess the mad dash was just making a bathroom break or buying a latte. haha! I was on a flight not too long ago where I was helping someone else get their bag down from the overhead, when someone was trying to break through everyone waiting to de-plane. That torques me off big time.
Elevator etiquette is a whole other topic.....

I actually DO dress up to fly. I haven't flown in awhile, but last time I had on a skirt & sweater set with my favorite shoes. I like to make an event out of flying. (Oops, not the last time. Last time I was on an innmates' sabbatical.)
But, I've been on flights with people going to VT in Dec and they looked like they ran off the beach and onto the plane. They were miserable the whole flight. And it was worse when we landed because the airport, at that time, did not have jetways, you deplaned on the tarmac and walked to the building.

Samster said:
A lot of times with planes, it's making the connection to their final destination. You know, it's often tough to get a direct flight these days. But on my return flight, we were actually about 20 minutes early! So, I guess the mad dash was just making a bathroom break or buying a latte. haha! I was on a flight not too long ago where I was helping someone else get their bag down from the overhead, when someone was trying to break through everyone waiting to de-plane. That torques me off big time.
Samster said:
HaHa. I find the opposite drives ME bonkers. I AM the first to jump up. I have my bag & am ready to go. Drives me crazy when people wait sitting down & then when the isle in front of them is clear, get up & THEN take the time to get their bag (while the isle is empty, but I am stuck BEHIND them). For me, I figure, if you want to sit & relax & go at a leisurely pace then let the folks who are ready/in a hurry get off & then take your time & get off last.
Guess we've moved off topic, tho. :)

I actually DO dress up to fly. I haven't flown in awhile, but last time I had on a skirt & sweater set with my favorite shoes. I like to make an event out of flying. (Oops, not the last time. Last time I was on an innmates' sabbatical.)
But, I've been on flights with people going to VT in Dec and they looked like they ran off the beach and onto the plane. They were miserable the whole flight. And it was worse when we landed because the airport, at that time, did not have jetways, you deplaned on the tarmac and walked to the building..
Next flight soon is all the way cross country to CA, direct flight. I'll let y'all know about the behavior on that one. haha!
As long as we're side tracking.... As you know Mort, I fly in and out of the busiest airport in the country and I believe, the world! It is a harrowing experience for a lot of travelers and extremely stressful. I discovered an "expert traveler" route through security that is wonderful. This is for the people that KNOW to have their boarding pass or mobile device upload in hand to check with ID, laptops out, their 3-1-1 bags out, know what to put in what bin, know how to load their carry-ons on to the belt for x-ray, and wear shoes that you can get off in a jiffy, and so on. People have no patience for you in this line if you don't know what you're doing. The bonus is that if you are prepared, it is quick and not stressful at all.
I haven't dressed up for travel since I used to fly routinely for business meetings.....but I do plan with layers. ;-)

I used to play elevator antics when I worked in downtown Sydney at The Remington Centre. (I type that in just in case someone reads it and says, HEY I WORKED THERE TOO!) We had a guest here from NC tell me exactly this, he was the Navy counterpart for CO-LOG (Commodore of Logistics)...back to me story...
I worked on 28th floor for a while before the 24th was my main office DoD. I used to get in last after every pushed in and face toward the back. Yes, toward the people. I used to get in and stall before getting out, weaving left and right. There was a speed elevator that raced up past the first 20 floors so I would do this on the reg elevator that stopped at each floor. Yea yea I was hyped up on my first morning espresso by then after 1 mile to the train, two trains, and 1 mile to the building. I was all energetic at 7am!
wow.gif

I dress carefully to fly Ie same as above shoes that are easy to put on and take off comfy clothes mainly cotton so easy and comfortable on the plane. No even slightly interesting things in my hand luggage ie no fruit, no electrical devices, no fluids, no makeup nothing sharper than a pen etc. Mind you there is always someone who has everything on the list you shouldn't have and or laughs about drugs or bombs you feel like saying just shut up! we all want to fly this week.

I used to play elevator antics when I worked in downtown Sydney at The Remington Centre. (I type that in just in case someone reads it and says, HEY I WORKED THERE TOO!) We had a guest here from NC tell me exactly this, he was the Navy counterpart for CO-LOG (Commodore of Logistics)...back to me story...
I worked on 28th floor for a while before the 24th was my main office DoD. I used to get in last after every pushed in and face toward the back. Yes, toward the people. I used to get in and stall before getting out, weaving left and right. There was a speed elevator that raced up past the first 20 floors so I would do this on the reg elevator that stopped at each floor. Yea yea I was hyped up on my first morning espresso by then after 1 mile to the train, two trains, and 1 mile to the building. I was all energetic at 7am!
wow.gif
You are too funny.....
I like getting on the elevator and asking, "So, how is everyone this morning?" tee he he.....

I dress carefully to fly Ie same as above shoes that are easy to put on and take off comfy clothes mainly cotton so easy and comfortable on the plane. No even slightly interesting things in my hand luggage ie no fruit, no electrical devices, no fluids, no makeup nothing sharper than a pen etc. Mind you there is always someone who has everything on the list you shouldn't have and or laughs about drugs or bombs you feel like saying just shut up! we all want to fly this week..
I was standing in a rather long line with an innmate 2 years ago. We watched the 'line attendant' trying to rein in this one boy who kept jumping back and forth in the line. She was right in his face and I was waiting for him to sass her because it didn't appear he was there with any adults, just a bunch of like-dressed teens (probably some sort of ball team).
Anyway, the people right in front of us appeared to be a mom with 4 kids and her mother. Every last one of those kids had some sort of beverage container. The baby had an asst of bottles with liquid in them. They all had STUFF that is totally not allowed and they got waved thru.
At times like that you want to give up. You know if YOU say anything, YOU'LL be the one cooling your heels while your plane takes off. Unless we get to Italy, I'll be driving everywhere now.

Trust me when I say the train in the morning when everyone is fresh vs after work in the heat of the day...PU!
Sydney has a very large immigrant population, not all bathe as regularly or use deodorant of any form or fashion like westerners. The new trains had a/c and windows that didn't open, the old beater trains had windows that opened...I fought to get on those. All crammed in (standing and squished under someone's armpit for 50 minutes on a train is not my idea of a good time...sorry for those shorter people...very sorry).

Back