50% of TripAdvisor users will not book a hotel with no reviews

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
50% of TripAdvisor users will not book a hotel with no reviews > peer reviews & online reputation management critical
HERE

I agree wholeheartedly. I sure wouldn't. TA is the first place I go when we do travel.

How could a place on TA have no reviews (assuming the place didn't open just this week)? Surely the owners have at least one cousin who would review them!
This independent survey is so positive for TA, in every aspect, that it makes me suspect its independence.

We have been in business about 7 years. We have ONE TA review, but hundreds of positive reviews in our journals and unsolicited verbal reviews from guests who gush over us and promise to return. Go figure...

We have been in business about 7 years. We have ONE TA review, but hundreds of positive reviews in our journals and unsolicited verbal reviews from guests who gush over us and promise to return. Go figure....
We started getting reviews (128 currently) when we started asking for them. Even then, most folks say they would love to write a review but only a small % of those actually do. I usually try to work the request into an ongoing conversation at breakfast about how guests found us. Obviously, I never mention reviews if we have a PITA on board.
wink_smile.gif

No matter where you go you should check the reviews of the hotel and when you find everything satisfactory, you should book it. That's what I did when I booked hotel on my last vacation after checking reviews of Barcelona hotels.

No matter where you go you should check the reviews of the hotel and when you find everything satisfactory, you should book it. That's what I did when I booked hotel on my last vacation after checking reviews of Barcelona hotels..
Same here. Only once in the past 5 years have I booked a place that had no reviews, and it was a BIG mistake. We walked out after 5 mins.

No matter where you go you should check the reviews of the hotel and when you find everything satisfactory, you should book it. That's what I did when I booked hotel on my last vacation after checking reviews of Barcelona hotels..
Same here. Only once in the past 5 years have I booked a place that had no reviews, and it was a BIG mistake. We walked out after 5 mins.
trouble is what if somewhere is super new? my neighbour kept trying to get listed on trip adviser as people were trying to review - but it just didn't take! took about 3 years to get listed and she has about 10 reviews in 6 months all of which are good - but it was a struggle to get on in the first place.

I am the other 50% I guess. I do not bother to read the reviews. When I travel it is for s specific purpose. I either just pull off when I am tired or if making a destination reservation, look for middle-of-the-road rates or something close to where I am going. However, if going to a tourist area, I look for something nearby and if mass transit is available, near mass transit. I am the price-point traveler.
The trip last August I actually tried more than a few times to connect with the B & B that was listed in the town even though their rate was $50 more than what we ended up paying at a motel. They NEVER EVER returned my phone calls OR my email.

Highlands John said:
You wonder what world they live in to run an inn and not have a web presence or reviews of any kind. But you confirmed it once you got there...

Back