50% off to stay if you're looking to buy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
[tr]Guilford[/td] Looking for an Inn to buy? 50% off to look here![/td] Trebor Mansion Inn[/td] 1-888-280-7575[/td] $95[/td] $47.50[/td] 50%[/td][/tr][/table]i receive the hot deals notices from b&b .com ... i haven't seen this approach before as an advertised special.
this is a beautiful place that had a bad fire and was rebuilt, reopened, was featured on hgtv.

That's an interesting approach. Kind of screams "desperate" and invites a low-ball offer....but maybe they are desperate.

there is an air of desperation if you visit the website ... or something ... i wonder why the rates are so low? and why they add on $ for tv in room and for breakfast? and why they offer childcare? and monthly rates? and potluck? and camping out on the porch for the almost broke and desperate? trying to be all things to all people.

there is an air of desperation if you visit the website ... or something ... i wonder why the rates are so low? and why they add on $ for tv in room and for breakfast? and why they offer childcare? and monthly rates? and potluck? and camping out on the porch for the almost broke and desperate? trying to be all things to all people..
I think you need to read 'Your Eccentric Hosts' on their website.And the rooms & rates page.

Look at the 'Martha Stewart doesn't live here' page if you'd really like to get your dander up. Apparently the only true inn is a hostel - everything else is yuppified and ostentatious.

Look at the 'Martha Stewart doesn't live here' page if you'd really like to get your dander up. Apparently the only true inn is a hostel - everything else is yuppified and ostentatious..
Oh, missed that. Maybe I should take some time to look around.

i can't find guest reviews for the place. and i'm curious.
the owner/author has disdain for what the b&b 'industry' has become. and, yes, inns too. guests want flowers, they want breakfast, they want an iron, they want their pillows fluffed. from what i see, that is why these things are offered and that is where the guests go. 2005, my first booking guests asked about breakfast and asked about amenities. that is how an inn/b&b stays in business ... by evolving into what the consumer demands. you can fight it and say 'that's not us' and try like heck to appeal to those who appreciate your 'not doing that' style and stay in business with your lower rates because you're pulling in lots of bookings. the bashing other places on the site leads me to believe the owners have to continually explain/defend their policies. otherwise, why the attitude?

Look at the 'Martha Stewart doesn't live here' page if you'd really like to get your dander up. Apparently the only true inn is a hostel - everything else is yuppified and ostentatious..
Geez....no wonder it's for sale! Not only the Martha page, but did you look at the rates? $85 for a luxury room? I wouldn't like to have a B&B around their area! No breakfast? This listing should not even be on bb.com
I didn't see a for sale listing on bb.com Does anyone know what the selling price is?

Innkeeper To Go said:
I
And why bb.com thinks it's okay to give them a platform to undermine the very industry that supports them, I cannot understand at all.
They probably are not aware of it. There was a property in my region that was listed on bb.com and did not provide breakfast. I called bb.com who contacted the property and were told that indeed no breakfast was provided and they had no intention of changing, so bb.com removed their listing.
The attitude of the inn owners above is appalling, but as you said, you can run your business as you see fit. But don't advertise yourself as a B&B and not be one. The tackiest thing one can do is to publicly run down and ridicule those businessess around you. They are just proving that they are FAR more arrogant than those B&Bs they hate so much.

guess i opened a can of worms ... had no idea what i was delving into when i started exploring their site .... the martha stewart doesn't live here page has this at the bottom that goes nowhere.
http://www.trebormansioninn.com/hatebandbs.htm

guess i opened a can of worms ... had no idea what i was delving into when i started exploring their site .... the martha stewart doesn't live here page has this at the bottom that goes nowhere.
http://www.trebormansioninn.com/hatebandbs.htm.
Oh. My. God.

All I can say is what a bunch of egotisical, stuck in a time-warp of the 60s, insrfferable people!! Goes to show if you have money to throw around to the 800 pound gorilla, they do not care what you think about inns and innkeepers, just hand over the cash. What an insult to the profession! They not only have contempt for the profession they are probably failing in, but they also show contempt for the town and its people. I can just imagine the welcome they have been given in that town heh-heh.... The one they probably deserve.

I'm totally willing to give these folks the benefit of the doubt that their content was written by someone who thinks it's just screaming funny to trash B&Bs, while at the same time joining B&B associations and benefiting from their advertising reach.
I am, however, not amused.
Everyone has the absolute right to run their inn the way they want. Don't want to provide breakfast? Don't. Don't want to provide concierge services? Don't.
But I have no patience for inns that trash other inns in the process.
Just not cool.
And why bb.com thinks it's okay to give them a platform to undermine the very industry that supports them, I cannot understand at all.

All I can say is what a bunch of egotisical, stuck in a time-warp of the 60s, insrfferable people!! Goes to show if you have money to throw around to the 800 pound gorilla, they do not care what you think about inns and innkeepers, just hand over the cash. What an insult to the profession! They not only have contempt for the profession they are probably failing in, but they also show contempt for the town and its people. I can just imagine the welcome they have been given in that town heh-heh.... The one they probably deserve..
gillumhouse said:
All I can say is what a bunch of egotisical, stuck in a time-warp of the 60s, insrfferable people!!
Hey, some of my best friends are stuck in a time-warp of the 60s! In fact, where I live you could say I'm surrounded by folks like that!
Fortunately, they're neither egotistical nor insufferable.
There are good and bad folks wherever you go. They come in all stripes.

All I can say is what a bunch of egotisical, stuck in a time-warp of the 60s, insrfferable people!! Goes to show if you have money to throw around to the 800 pound gorilla, they do not care what you think about inns and innkeepers, just hand over the cash. What an insult to the profession! They not only have contempt for the profession they are probably failing in, but they also show contempt for the town and its people. I can just imagine the welcome they have been given in that town heh-heh.... The one they probably deserve..
gillumhouse said:
All I can say is what a bunch of egotisical, stuck in a time-warp of the 60s, insrfferable people!!
Hey, some of my best friends are stuck in a time-warp of the 60s! In fact, where I live you could say I'm surrounded by folks like that!
I was being specific with these folks.
I also have friends who are Hippie wannabees but were born too late. Her kids made up for it by naming the grandkids thigs like Liberty, Seneca, Cherokee, Kai, River...... They are wonderful people and even love me!

gillumhouse said:
I was being specific with these folks.
I also have friends who are Hippie wannabees but were born too late. Her kids made up for it by naming the grandkids thigs like Liberty, Seneca, Cherokee, Kai, River...... They are wonderful people and even love me!
gillumhouse said:
They are wonderful people and even love me!
Kathleen, everyone loves you. What's not to love?

gillumhouse said:
They not only have contempt for the profession they are probably failing in, but they also show contempt for the town and its people. I can just imagine the welcome they have been given in that town heh-heh.... The one they probably deserve.
Did you read the Redneck wabisabi page? They've trashed all the townfolk too!
I'm sure glad they have each other.

gillumhouse said:
They not only have contempt for the profession they are probably failing in, but they also show contempt for the town and its people. I can just imagine the welcome they have been given in that town heh-heh.... The one they probably deserve.
I guess that's the part that's supposed to make them eccentric.
Hostility and eccentricity are just so easy to confuse, I guess.

gillumhouse said:
Yes, I did. That is why I mentioned the welcome they must have been given. I can imagine the things they said to the people in town when they arrived and that web site says it all. I am glad the have such a humble opinion of themselves! Is there a door wide enough to get their heads through?

YUCK! I would NEVER step foot in a place like that! What does this mean???
"Breakfast is served at the diner in our front yard starting at 5AM (closed on Sundays). If you wish to eat in at the Inn and can talk the kids into it, it will be served at the civilized hour of 9AM. Guests who wish to eat at an uncivilized hour may make other arrangements"
This is a 'good to know' fact about leaving your stuff in your room when you leave for the day.... "We receive callers at the Inn any day after 10 AM. Please do come by, and we'll show you around if we can- otherwise you can conduct a self-tour." Just wander around at will, doesn't matter who/why you are there?!
They also state "Lawn care in America is penis envy"...................................
Strange!

Back