6 in 10 people on planet have cell phones

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the reason my guest is using my landline is to save her minutes!

Is that all????.
Samster said:
Is that all????
That's the whole planet...I can imagine there are a few places where no one has a cellphone...and then places where that's all anyone has, no land lines at all.
My brother has one, his wife has one, his oldest kid has one, his youngest does not. My parents both do. Hubs has one. I don't. My daughter has one, her husband has one, her 2 kids do not. So, that's 12 and 4 of us don't have one. But, I know people who have more than one (my brother) so they make up for me and others who don't.

In many countries there are no land lines or if they are they are expensive and unreliable so cell phones are the answer. In Sudan for instance there is the odd land line but mostly there are none. Most families will have one or maybe two phones. They are inexpensive and in some countries such as Sudan you don't have to pay for incoming calls. I have experienced the lack of land lines in northern Portugal as well. People certainly have them in Canada but it's much cheaper to use a land line for many of us although that is changing. I need a cell phone for business but I don't like what it costs me and only use it if I'm away for the day.

When my youngest son was traveling a lot in construction, he and his wife got cell phones to avoid the constant installation charges and number changes. Now #2 son and his wife have only cell phones, daughter the cop has only cell phone, her twin and her husband and their oldest daughter have cell phones - got rid of land line - their younger daughter is only 2 1/2 so no phone yet. Actually most of my kids have dropped their land lines and gone to cell only. Costs less and is a lot more flexible.

Is that all????.
Samster said:
Is that all????
That's the whole planet...I can imagine there are a few places where no one has a cellphone...and then places where that's all anyone has, no land lines at all.
My brother has one, his wife has one, his oldest kid has one, his youngest does not. My parents both do. Hubs has one. I don't. My daughter has one, her husband has one, her 2 kids do not. So, that's 12 and 4 of us don't have one. But, I know people who have more than one (my brother) so they make up for me and others who don't.
Yes, I know it's the whole planet. I was being a little facetious. :)
There are many, many places where cell phones are becoming the norm. The "younger" generations are using only mobile phones & as the technology improves with web browsing, GPS, etc. they will really take over. I know quite a few people from their 20s and up that no longer have a land line. We are thinking of joining those ranks.

Is that all????.
Samster said:
Is that all????
Yes, I know it's the whole planet. I was being a little facetious. :)
There are many, many places where cell phones are becoming the norm. The "younger" generations are using only mobile phones & as the technology improves with web browsing, GPS, etc. they will really take over. I know quite a few people from their 20s and up that no longer have a land line. We are thinking of joining those ranks.
My son is an example of that. He shares a house so no one wants to sign up for a land line and have to 'collect' each month, so they all have cells.

We dropped our business landline this year and have it go to my cell. This is why I am hating all of those little directories out there that now have our old number on them and have no nice way to correct the problem.

We dropped our business landline this year and have it go to my cell. This is why I am hating all of those little directories out there that now have our old number on them and have no nice way to correct the problem..
swirt said:
We dropped our business landline this year and have it go to my cell. This is why I am hating all of those little directories out there that now have our old number on them and have no nice way to correct the problem.
That's a big reason we haven't switched over to any new phone system of any kind...all of those people (not directories) who have the phone number in their book and don't even know we have a website. They would probably assume we were closed if the phone number no longer worked.

We dropped our business landline this year and have it go to my cell. This is why I am hating all of those little directories out there that now have our old number on them and have no nice way to correct the problem..
I am sure you would know this but you can port your landline phone number to your cell. I had a landline phone number for 25 years and did not want to give it up so I ported it to my DH phone. If I get rid of my landline I will port the buisness to my cell. I keep the landline because I need one for my cc machine.

I am sure you would know this but you can port your landline phone number to your cell. I had a landline phone number for 25 years and did not want to give it up so I ported it to my DH phone. If I get rid of my landline I will port the buisness to my cell. I keep the landline because I need one for my cc machine.
Unfortunately, our little phone company is incredibly inept / underequipped. They are incapable of forwarding the calls (it is not a service they offer). The reason we dropped the business line is because 30% of the calls we get, when we answer the phone, the person on the other end can't hear us and we can't hear them. We dropped them because of the lack of reliable service.

Unfortunately, our little phone company is incredibly inept / underequipped. They are incapable of forwarding the calls (it is not a service they offer). The reason we dropped the business line is because 30% of the calls we get, when we answer the phone, the person on the other end can't hear us and we can't hear them. We dropped them because of the lack of reliable service.
I think she means "keep the phone number, so now your cell phone number is your old business number" rather than forward.
=)
Kk.

I think she means "keep the phone number, so now your cell phone number is your old business number" rather than forward.
=)
Kk.
Yes that is right they port your number to the cell and that is the number of the cell. This is not forwarding it is now the cell number forever and you no longer have a landline. They started doing this about 5 years ago. If you want this they have to do it. This way when you call from the cell the id is the buisness because it is now you cell number.
The only down fall I could see in this is that you don't have the free line yellow page listing but the farther we get away from people using the yellow pages the less this might be a problem. My guess is that only 3 people have look us up on yellow pages in the whole time we have been in buisness.
I had to take a booking last week on the phone and it felt so backward. I usually ask if they are looking at my site if they do call and 9 out of 10 time they say yes so I just ask them to click on reserve a room and book that way. Most of the time they will not even call just go ahead and book online. I say 95 percent book on line without being guided. I love that.

=)
Kk.
Yes that is right they port your number to the cell and that is the number of the cell. This is not forwarding it is now the cell number forever and you no longer have a landline. They started doing this about 5 years ago. If you want this they have to do it. This way when you call from the cell the id is the buisness because it is now you cell number.
The only down fall I could see in this is that you don't have the free line yellow page listing but the farther we get away from people using the yellow pages the less this might be a problem. My guess is that only 3 people have look us up on yellow pages in the whole time we have been in buisness.
I had to take a booking last week on the phone and it felt so backward. I usually ask if they are looking at my site if they do call and 9 out of 10 time they say yes so I just ask them to click on reserve a room and book that way. Most of the time they will not even call just go ahead and book online. I say 95 percent book on line without being guided. I love that.
Thanks Sandynn. I like that idea and hope it is still possible. I wasn't aware that was an option. This is done through the cell company or the land line company?
It might be too late now that I no longer control the old number.

=)
Kk.
Thanks Sandynn. I like that idea and hope it is still possible. I wasn't aware that was an option. This is done through the cell company or the land line company?
I hope it is not too late. You do it through the cell company.

=)
Kk.
If you did it less than a year ago the number MIGHT still be available. I was able to get an 888 back a year later. I had dropped it and then one of my ads appeared with that number in it. I had the second number to use for tracking purposed. I had dropped it because I was getting bills to it for calls from Canada that were for some stop smoking crap. How they got the number to use, I have no idea. I have since dropped the number and had a loooong talk with the magazine.

Back