6 night cancelation starting yesterday-grr

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradise

Reaction score
Our policy CLEARLY states on our website AND in their confirmation email that w/in 48 hours they are responsible for the full payment. Additionally, we verbally explain it all (AGAIN) at the time of booking. Too, the res. conf. states that by making a booking they are agreeing that they have read, understood, & agree to our cancellation policy. AND that there are NO EXCEPTIONS.
So, yesterday we get a email saying to "go ahead" & give up our room, since we are delayed by snow & have decided not to come. Then they are UBER surprised when I email back acknowledging their cancellation & reminding them that although we will attempt to re-rent, at this late date (THE DAY OF THE RESERVATION & FOR A PEAK PERIOD!!!!) we have turned many other requests away, of course, honoring our contractual agreement to reserve the room for them...
Then begin the threatening emails about how it's not THEIR fault they can't come & how dare we charge them for the stay & how they'll be posting online re: our lack of customer service, blah, blah...
Nice Christmas spirit...
Anyone want to buy an inn in the Caribbean?

Ah yes I am sure we will see many of these in the coming weeks (months) .... sorry that this happened to you
I would write back and say that "as a small business" you "depends on guaranteed reservations" and "are sure that they are disappointed" but "certain they will understand" I would also state something like "we are saddened by the fact that you feel the need to publicly be negative about us since we were SO looking forward to having you" BLAH BLAH
And these people I would DEFINATELY charge the cancel policy, it's a VERY EASY one to revoke publicly when it comes to cancel policy AND to justify to your cc processor.
When people are "nice" I will make every effort not to charge but when people are like this .....
banghead.gif

I am with you on this. We rely on bookings for our business so customer suervice does not require us to ignore a reservation as we would not let them show up and say we have nothing for them. it is a two way street.

Ah yes I am sure we will see many of these in the coming weeks (months) .... sorry that this happened to you
I would write back and say that "as a small business" you "depends on guaranteed reservations" and "are sure that they are disappointed" but "certain they will understand" I would also state something like "we are saddened by the fact that you feel the need to publicly be negative about us since we were SO looking forward to having you" BLAH BLAH
And these people I would DEFINATELY charge the cancel policy, it's a VERY EASY one to revoke publicly when it comes to cancel policy AND to justify to your cc processor.
When people are "nice" I will make every effort not to charge but when people are like this .....
banghead.gif
agoodman said:
Our bank (current cc processor) has been giving ALL chargebacks their money back because we don't have a "signature"!! This is why we are searching for a new option. OF COURSE there is no signature as they are NO SHOWS!!! Grr!!!

banghead.gif
agoodman said:
Our bank (current cc processor) has been giving ALL chargebacks their money back because we don't have a "signature"!! This is why we are searching for a new option. OF COURSE there is no signature as they are NO SHOWS!!! Grr!!!
Call and ask your processor if they would accept an electronic 'signature' of the guest agreeing to your policies. I'd be interested to know if that would be acceptable as proof they knew what the terms were and agreed to them.
I've called B&B's that have refused to reserve a room for me until after I emailed that I understood the cancellation policy of no refunds. Doesn't give a warm, fuzzy feeling that I couldn't reserve until I promised I wouldn't cancel or promised I wouldn't fight for my money back!

We're bracing for cancellations today. If they're going to cancel, I do wish they would let us know right now and not 6 hours from now.
At the same time, one room has extended their stay until Tues so they don't have to drive into the storm.

Two Words: TRIP INSURANCE. Anyone traveling in the winter months has NO EXCUSE to get upset with you...they're just trying to bully you into letting them off the hook.

banghead.gif
agoodman said:
Paradise are you set up as HOTEL or RETAIL??? If you are set up as HOTEL then you should not have that issue
The fact that you didn't fight the first few means your processor KNOWS they can get away with it again, and when I say FIGHT I mean tell them you will take it to arbitration, get your contract changed etc

banghead.gif
agoodman said:
Paradise are you set up as HOTEL or RETAIL??? If you are set up as HOTEL then you should not have that issue
The fact that you didn't fight the first few means your processor KNOWS they can get away with it again, and when I say FIGHT I mean tell them you will take it to arbitration, get your contract changed etc
agoodman said:
We ARE set up as a HOTEL (I verified after a "tip" here on this forum-thx) & I HAVE BEEN trying to fight this (these chargebacks where money has been refunded EVEN WITH OUR documents has only been recently-prior chargebacks went in our favor & money was NEVER refunded) w/the bank since November !!! (grr).
I am going back to the bank tomorrow w/all documentation AGAIN. Will tell them I'll take it to "arbitration," however, what exactly does that mean? Attorney fees for us? I'm a bit in the dark on this bit. Where do you find "arbitration?"
I also ASKED the bank HOW to improve upon MY system so that they wouldn't keep returning the money to the customers EVERY TIME & they went back to saying we needed a signature. To which I replied, "We NEVER have one because they don't sign the slip until they ARRIVE & in the NO SHOW cases, they DON'T ARRIVE!" Then they said, "Well have them send a check?!?!" We don't accept checks A. And B, this makes no sense, as I explained, because, say you reserve a room on the basis that the "check is in the mail" thus turning away other business & then said check NEVER ARRIVES. You just can't operate as such.
Thanks again for any insight!

Most people however don't buy trip insurance except for high $ trips, I am not saying that is right or wrong, just stating a fact
Your contract with your cc processor will probably say something about having an independent person appointed to look into the chargeback situation, I am not saying do it, as I mentioned in another post it is normally not worth the cost BUT you can tell them you ARE going to look into doing it unless you can work out a satisfactory resolution for your current issue and to avoid future ones
Their answer about a check is not satisfactory

Sorry Paradise, not what you wanted or needed, ever, especially this time of year. Hang in there!

Most people however don't buy trip insurance except for high $ trips, I am not saying that is right or wrong, just stating a fact
Your contract with your cc processor will probably say something about having an independent person appointed to look into the chargeback situation, I am not saying do it, as I mentioned in another post it is normally not worth the cost BUT you can tell them you ARE going to look into doing it unless you can work out a satisfactory resolution for your current issue and to avoid future ones
Their answer about a check is not satisfactory.
agoodman said:
Most people however don't buy trip insurance except for high $ trips
Yep, and a vacation from anywhere that it can snow to the Caribbean definitely qualifies as a "big trip". This doesn't help with the situation at all, but Paradise should feel completely within his/her rights to charge the full balance due.

As I reported in the thread below, there are 2 types of chargebacks, one which is more of a request for documentation (no funds are withdrawn until merchant fails to provide requested documention) and the other which is regarding not getting (or happy with) the service or product purchased (funds are withdrawn from the merchant's account until it is resolved) https://www.innspiring.com/node/7803
The bank you are using may only use the 2nd one listed. You do need to discuss this with the processing department at that bank. Are you sure your documentation is going to the proper department by bringing it to the branch? Usually there is a place you must mail or fax the documentation to for proper review. I know you are on a small island and having dealt with a couple of banks in the carribean while traveling I do know things are not the same as in the US.
Have you attempted to have a conversation with any other accommodation owner either on your island or on an another that is under the same government rule? Governmental Laws regarding processing proceedures may also differ from the US. This may be something worth pursuing as another owner may have a good processor and be willing to share the info with you.

It sounds like you have a good cancellation policy and it's very clear. Since most of your guests are flying in from another country, I would add a statement in your policy that you suggest trip cancellation insurance. You can always add this link! When Weather Interrupts Your Trip: 6 Things To Do.
Breakfast Diva said:
It sounds like you have a good cancellation policy and it's very clear. Since most of your guests are flying in from another country, I would add a statement in your policy that you suggest trip cancellation insurance. You can always add this link! When Weather Interrupts Your Trip: 6 Things To Do
Thanks! We do have this:
  • Because we are a small property & unable to refund outside of our cancellation policy, we STRONGLY encourage the purchase of trip insurance.

As I reported in the thread below, there are 2 types of chargebacks, one which is more of a request for documentation (no funds are withdrawn until merchant fails to provide requested documention) and the other which is regarding not getting (or happy with) the service or product purchased (funds are withdrawn from the merchant's account until it is resolved) https://www.innspiring.com/node/7803
The bank you are using may only use the 2nd one listed. You do need to discuss this with the processing department at that bank. Are you sure your documentation is going to the proper department by bringing it to the branch? Usually there is a place you must mail or fax the documentation to for proper review. I know you are on a small island and having dealt with a couple of banks in the carribean while traveling I do know things are not the same as in the US.
Have you attempted to have a conversation with any other accommodation owner either on your island or on an another that is under the same government rule? Governmental Laws regarding processing proceedures may also differ from the US. This may be something worth pursuing as another owner may have a good processor and be willing to share the info with you..
Good afternoon,
Our bank has requested documentation & in each case it has been sent to the appropriate address w/a Delivery confirmation (which costs us extra, but then we have PROOF it was sent/received by the deadline date).
I have finally gone in person to the bank pending the frustration of dealing with & getting no where on the phone w/the numbers listed (& then many others I've come up with) on the chargeback docs.
We are actually US, so US regs. generally apply.
Tho, as mentioned, having lived many places around the world, things often do NOT work like they do in the continental US.
And, I am conversing w/others here & generally our policies are as clearly defined or more than others.
Thank you again for any/all input. We are phoning/emailing today as per some of the suggestions above of companies others use & have been happy with.

Here is the email we just received from the guest (you can see my email below hers re: her cancellation).
Nice responsibility for their actions...
OK, if that's your policy, then I will not be contacting you again regarding this. I did notice that you have charged us the the remaining balance; you seem more in tune with the "letter of the policy" than the "spirit of the policy."
My policy is to post experiences like this on Trip Advisor.Sincerely,Maggie________________________________________Good morning Maggie,Unfortunately, as unforseen events do occur we strongly suggest trip insurance. This is clearly stated in your confirmation email.Moreover, we have made the commitment to honor a reservation for you, thus having turned away other business. We are a very small business & as such a last minute cancellation, has a very large impact. We make every attempt to be fair & honest with our policies & have them transparently in writing on our website & in all confirmation emails, as well as the fact that we verbally repeat them when making bookings.Please note that as per our cancellation policy, which, when you made your reservation you agreed that by making a booking you agree that you have read, understood, & agree to our cancellation policy.As mentioned in our previous email, we will make every attempt to re-rent your room at this late date, however we have told many others that we were full for these dates, again, having contractually reserved the room for your stay.Best,

We are livid. Seriously, anyone want to buy an Inn in the Caribbean (beaches are great! We-5 years-are burnt out) Here is my reply:
Good afternoon Maggie,
Thank you for your email.
Regarding your threats below, you are free to respond in any way that you find appropriate, however our policies are clearly written to protect you & ensure that you have a room when you arrive.
As a very small business we depend on guaranteed reservations. Your last minute cancellation, as we replied previously, has a large impact. It is for this reason that we strongly suggest trip insurance (please see your confirmation email) & also verbally & in writing (confirmation email & website) make every effort to be completely transparent about our policies, even stating that there are “no exceptions.” We are not sure how this can be more clear.
We make every attempt to be fair to all guests. Had we NOT adheared to our end of the contractual agreeement, & instead, upon your arrival, you had found out that we had given your room away to another person via the "spirit of the policy", it is highly likely that you would have felt disgruntled.
We take personal responsiblity for our reservations & our policies & expect that that same personal responsiblity will be exercised by those making making bookings.
We wish you the best in the new year.
[/td][/tr][/table]

We are livid. Seriously, anyone want to buy an Inn in the Caribbean (beaches are great! We-5 years-are burnt out) Here is my reply:
Good afternoon Maggie,
Thank you for your email.
Regarding your threats below, you are free to respond in any way that you find appropriate, however our policies are clearly written to protect you & ensure that you have a room when you arrive.
As a very small business we depend on guaranteed reservations. Your last minute cancellation, as we replied previously, has a large impact. It is for this reason that we strongly suggest trip insurance (please see your confirmation email) & also verbally & in writing (confirmation email & website) make every effort to be completely transparent about our policies, even stating that there are “no exceptions.” We are not sure how this can be more clear.
We make every attempt to be fair to all guests. Had we NOT adheared to our end of the contractual agreeement, & instead, upon your arrival, you had found out that we had given your room away to another person via the "spirit of the policy", it is highly likely that you would have felt disgruntled.
We take personal responsiblity for our reservations & our policies & expect that that same personal responsiblity will be exercised by those making making bookings.
We wish you the best in the new year.
[/td][/tr][/table].
Your reply is fantastic. Clear, concise, professional. If she does do a review, it will be quite clear what her problem is, esp. if you follow up with as well-worded a management reply as you did here. I so especially love your reference to her mention of the "spirit" of the policy.
Here's the other thing, most credit cards have some kind of travel protection built into them, why don't people try going that route instead of beating up the small business owner?

Back