6 of one...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
We all do our payments differently, some at check-in, some at check-out and some in advance. I had a split today- half yesterday (check-in) and half today (check-out). Because it was a group, there was a lot going on this morning so it was a matter of keeping track of who had paid, who hadn't and if they were still in the house.
The last of them has all of her bags in hand, is saying goodbye to everyone, has left her keys and is headed out the door. So, I say goodbye and mention she hasn't paid yet. 'Well, I know that. Do you expect me to drop everything right now?'
Well, I kind of expect you're done saying goodbye to all your friends, you've handed in your key, you look like a pack mule and you're headed for the door so why would I think you're coming back?

For that very reason alone, I take payment ahead of time. It can be a mad house with everyone checking out at once. Sounds to me like she was about to skip out on you.

I normally take payment on check in. Sometimes this happens at check in too. People come in with their bags draped everyway possible around their neck and arms. They don't want to stop to sign in, they want their room! Then it is impossible to get them back down to do the paperwork.. they want to freshen up, rest - what ever excuse they can come up with. They would never get away with this at a hotel, so why do they do it here.

We ask guest to settle the bill the night before they leave. We have been doing this for a while. We simply explain that it otherwise interferes with breakfast service and that we would appreciate they settle the bill the night before they leave. For the most part, they seem to respect it. Some ask to do it at check-in and that's fine, too.

Sometimes you just can't win for trying.....
Samster said:
Sometimes you just can't win for trying....
It was one of those last minute things where more guests kept showing up even after the main part of the group checked in. I just needed to make sure she knew no one had paid for her. You know how groups are- they let each other in and don't mention to the innkeepers that the others have arrived!

Sometimes you just can't win for trying.....
Samster said:
Sometimes you just can't win for trying....
It was one of those last minute things where more guests kept showing up even after the main part of the group checked in. I just needed to make sure she knew no one had paid for her. You know how groups are- they let each other in and don't mention to the innkeepers that the others have arrived!
Ack! Groups.....I don't like them!!!

We stayed at another B&B last year who had a nice way of dealing with payments. When we arrived he asked for payment, explaining that, "Once we get the business out of the way, then we can just be friends."
It's not like we didn't expect to pay for our stay, after all. He just made it feel quite warm and friendly, yet he got his payment right up front.
Nice.

We stayed at another B&B last year who had a nice way of dealing with payments. When we arrived he asked for payment, explaining that, "Once we get the business out of the way, then we can just be friends."
It's not like we didn't expect to pay for our stay, after all. He just made it feel quite warm and friendly, yet he got his payment right up front.
Nice..
Scott said:
"Once we get the business out of the way, then we can just be friends."
I think that's a smooth line too when asking for payment on arrival!
One of the things I like about my PMS is the way I can just hover my mouse tip on the room calendar and, as well as name and number of guests and estimated arrival time, it will display the original room rate, any extras and if what balance is owing at busy times.
A godsend when things get hectic!

We try to take payment upon arrival and if there is a group we always try to get it done either that night or next morning we try never to get it when they leave. Sometimes its hard to get it all and sometimes guests do take advantage like this so if we do have a group we make sure that the head honcho has a credit card to hold ALL the rooms and is responsible for ALL the payments if they are not paid upon arrival-this stops alot of guests that may "slip" by...
Sorry you had such a hard time-yea sometimes groups are a PITAs

Nice..
Scott said:
I had a hooker tell me that once.
lol-053.gif

We're small, I pre-authorize the credit card for the amount of the stay when the reservation comes in and I just get everyone's credit card at breakfast on the day of their departure. Works out fine.
If there's a problem, I have their credit card # on file until after they leave.

Nice..
Scott said:
lol-053.gif

We're small, I pre-authorize the credit card for the amount of the stay when the reservation comes in and I just get everyone's credit card at breakfast on the day of their departure. Works out fine.
If there's a problem, I have their credit card # on file until after they leave.
I'm still confused about the pre-auth thing. If you pre-auth today for a stay in June, all you know is that the card is good for 7 days, not that it will be good in June. How does this protect you other than to say that at least right now the card is good?

Nice..
Scott said:
lol-053.gif

I'm still confused about the pre-auth thing. If you pre-auth today for a stay in June, all you know is that the card is good for 7 days, not that it will be good in June. How does this protect you other than to say that at least right now the card is good?
Alibi Ike said:
It doesn't, which is why I sometimes wait until it's closer to the time of their stay to pre-authorize the card. I've been able to head off bad cards several times by checking them ahead of time.

Back