7 days and counting

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innkeep

Reaction score
My biggest wish has so far been granted. I wanted to retire before I burned out.
People may wonder what I’ll do with all my spare time, so early on I volunteered to work at a local elementary school. Our school system is so messed up financially and academically that it was taken over by the state, so many parents with the means to have moved their children to other school districts (can be done without financial penalty in our state, just need to transport the kids to their new schools), so many children who remain are impoverished, along with a minority whose parents are very invested in seeing the community schools survive. I start tomorrow—only a couple hours a week for starters.
Then I auditioned for a play. What was I thinking?? The last play I was in was 8th grade. On the form I told them I had no dancing experience. Well, I got a role. I’ll be playing one of the singing (and dancing) nuns in Sister Act. Turns out all the music is different than the movie, and even the lowest voices have to sing notes reserved for sopranos in any sane universe. Tonight the director added choreography. I felt like Lucille Ball in a tutu. They keep telling me it will all come together... My friends are already chuckling even though they haven’t seen me.
In the past 5 days I have cleaned 14 rooms and had an early breakfast call for 5:30 one day along with an 8 am and 9 am on the same day (always seems to work for Gillum).
I’ll be keeping my house. Air has too many listings to make a legit B&B profitable, and it would take me at least 5 years to sort all my clutter. Since my siblings and their offspring are spread out all over the country it’s still the most central place for family gatherings.
I thought about starting a thread about sharing some of the innkeeping tricks I have learned along the way, but that will have to wait until I pass through my thespian phase.

Ha! You will be great in Sister Act. Glad you can keep the house. Home sweet home!
I hear Breakfast Diva and Joey Bloggs are loving their own retirements, and I know you'll love yours too. May it last long and well.

Ha! You will be great in Sister Act. Glad you can keep the house. Home sweet home!
I hear Breakfast Diva and Joey Bloggs are loving their own retirements, and I know you'll love yours too. May it last long and well..
I hope you have many years of enjoyment in your retirement from this your second career. I figure you will soon be hip-deep in something elsein your city.
Always remember that my Tessie is always here waiting to kiss your Tessie's rear.

Wow! An Actress?!? Watch out Hollywood, here comes Innkeep! Please don't overload your schedule too much that you can't come visit us all. Right now I'm back at my grandparents inn for the last almost two weeks helping my aunt with the sailing team from Spain. I'll be heading back home tomorrow. I NEEDED a vacation you know!

oh, how fun! good luck to you in your new acting (and singing and dancing) career! and in your retirement, although i'm sure you'll be playing hostess for many years to come.
heart.gif

Learning lines.....oh boy. Hats off to you! Best wishes for the next chapter. <3

I have never met a retired innkeeper who regrets their decision to close their doors! In fact, over and over they say “I don’t know how we hosted for so long!” Life after inn keeping is sweet. Enjoy every glorious minute...you deserve it.

Came to the party a little late.
Good for you Innkeep! A second retirement for you. And a jump into a new adventure. DH and I will always have fond memories of your visit and we wish you much joy and success. The acting will be a great outlet for the frustrations I’m sure you’ll experience in the school system. A thankless occupation but so needed and important for our future. If you’re ever in my corner of the world....

Back