7 Things That Should Be On Your Not-To-Do List

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excerpt:
6. Do not make high maintenance customers your top priority.
Have you ever had a high maintenance customer who demands a lot of your time, yet provides you with very small profit margins? You quickly learn to dread their emails/phone calls/visits.
While they are your clients and you have to see them to the end, you don’t have to dwell on them. Use this list to control them. When you see their phone numbers on caller id, let it go through to voice mail. Accumulate voice mails and emails and answer them at select times of the day. By doing this several times, they will quickly get the message on how you work. You can even help them by explaining its easier to put all of their thoughts into one email and connect with you once per day. With a little bit of coaching, they will get it.
(I had a guest call and then email about 5 times two days ago. She is very nice, but impatient) I donned this guest the apron string guest, they use/wield their cell phones like light sabors. Call call call and you are supposed to be at their disposal at all times. NOT HAPPENING. That is the one part about "YOU OWN THIS BUSINESS YOU ARE THE BOSS" that new innkeepers do not get.
My lesson learned was a long time ago, that saturday when the whole fam was busting our butts to get stuff done, we raced in finally at 2pm to eat lunch finally and that lady waltzed into the kitchen mid bite and demanded a tour, never said "sorry to disturb your lunch" or anything...just to get her out of there i did it. I am still mad at myself over that. I put the sign on our kitcehn door that day, but still am mad that I allowed it. She was going to rent the whole house for a family reunion - JUMP QUICK!

Excerpt:
Have you ever had a high maintenance customer who demands a lot of your time, yet provides you with very small profit margins? You quickly learn to dread their emails/phone calls/visits.
While they are your clients and you have to see them to the end, you don’t have to dwell on them. Use this list to control them. When you see their phone numbers on caller id, let it go through to voice mail. Accumulate voice mails and emails and answer them at select times of the day. By doing this several times, they will quickly get the message on how you work. You can even help them by explaining its easier to put all of their thoughts into one email and connect with you once per day. With a little bit of coaching, they will get it.
(I had a guest call and then email about 5 times two days ago. She is very nice, but impatient) I donned this guest the apron string guest, they use/wield their cell phones like light sabors. Call call call and you are supposed to be at their disposal at all times. NOT HAPPENING. That is the one part about "YOU OWN THIS BUSINESS YOU ARE THE BOSS" that new innkeepers do not get.
My lesson learned was a long time ago, that saturday when the whole fam was busting our butts to get stuff done, we raced in finally at 2pm to eat lunch finally and that lady waltzed into the kitchen mid bite and demanded a tour, never said "sorry to disturb your lunch" or anything...just to get her out of there i did it. I am still mad at myself over that. I put the sign on our kitcehn door that day, but still am mad that I allowed it. She was going to rent the whole house for a family reunion - JUMP QUICK!.
Joey Bloggs said:
She was going to rent the whole house for a family reunion - JUMP QUICK!
So, did she end up renting the place? If so, did she bring more PITA's with her?

Excerpt:
My lesson learned was a long time ago, that saturday when the whole fam was busting our butts to get stuff done, we raced in finally at 2pm to eat lunch finally and that lady waltzed into the kitchen mid bite and demanded a tour, never said "sorry to disturb your lunch" or anything...just to get her out of there i did it. I am still mad at myself over that. I put the sign on our kitcehn door that day, but still am mad that I allowed it. She was going to rent the whole house for a family reunion - JUMP QUICK!.
Joey Bloggs said:
This is the worst example of how guests behave when they think they hold all the cards. 'I have the money, therefore I run things around here.'
Best thing to do is to have a handout to give them and hold fast to your 'make an appointment' stance. (I know you know this, just mentioning it for folks who are new!)

Excerpt:
Joey Bloggs said:
So, did she end up renting the place? If so, did she bring more PITA's with her?
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Nope.
Another time this happened and I told them to make an appt to come back, they did. These old biddies came through and walked into every room, opening drawers and closet doors? WHAT THE? I asked them what they were looking for? They never rented either, I suppose it wasn't good enough. WHo the heck knows. I DON'T DO LOCAL, this is why, it never ever pans out. Worst ever was the local wedding on a graduation weekend who cancelled every room but one, the PO's had a 24 hour cancellation policy, YES you read that correct. So we had to honor it. Year one we nearly starved...DH went out and got a job.
There was so much not told to us (lies) and this is why I tell aspiring innkeepers DO NOT TRUST the innkeepers you buy from, sure they seem nice, don't trust them, get everything in writing, copies of it all. They WILL paint a perfect picture for you, be aware of that. And dont ask them point blank questions, it is really none of your business, yet. haha

Excerpt:
Joey Bloggs said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Nope.
Another time this happened and I told them to make an appt to come back, they did. These old biddies came through and walked into every room, opening drawers and closet doors? WHAT THE? I asked them what they were looking for? They never rented either, I suppose it wasn't good enough. WHo the heck knows. I DON'T DO LOCAL, this is why, it never ever pans out. Worst ever was the local wedding on a graduation weekend who cancelled every room but one, the PO's had a 24 hour cancellation policy, YES you read that correct. So we had to honor it. Year one we nearly starved...DH went out and got a job.
There was so much not told to us (lies) and this is why I tell aspiring innkeepers DO NOT TRUST the innkeepers you buy from, sure they seem nice, don't trust them, get everything in writing, copies of it all. They WILL paint a perfect picture for you, be aware of that. And dont ask them point blank questions, it is really none of your business, yet. haha
Joey Bloggs said:
I DON'T DO LOCAL, this is why, it never ever pans out. Worst ever was the local wedding...
My friends here who rent cottages on the river agree completely. Anytime they book local folks, all the guest's friends and cousins soon arrive, thinking they have rights to all the amenities.

Excerpt:
Joey Bloggs said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Nope.
Joey Bloggs said:
I DON'T DO LOCAL, this is why, it never ever pans out. Worst ever was the local wedding...
My friends here who rent cottages on the river agree completely. Anytime they book local folks, all the guest's friends and cousins soon arrive, thinking they have rights to all the amenities.
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Local is not always bad, you just have to have strict policies. Unfortunately some polices are made after being taken advantage of - live and learn.
We never know when someone books if they have friends/family in the area that will come and try to take over, that's when the policy of REGISTERED guest only comes in handy. Policies are more difficult to manage with cottages if they are not within sight.

Excerpt:
Joey Bloggs said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Nope.
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Local is not always bad, you just have to have strict policies. Unfortunately some polices are made after being taken advantage of - live and learn.
We never know when someone books if they have friends/family in the area that will come and try to take over, that's when the policy of REGISTERED guest only comes in handy. Policies are more difficult to manage with cottages if they are not within sight.
I never have take overs and I don't mind them bringing people back (relatives). I actually like for them to bring locals in and to hear the oohs and aahs. I am different. You know that. But locals think "We know you we can get a room for free" or "You are a brothel or something, scary scary boarding house" or...and the list goes on. It is never good. The out of towners stay here because they don't want to stay with the rel's, that is a diff story. But the locals, I have one to call back right now...they just don't know what a B&B is.
UPDATED:
I just booked a room for a young couple getting married tomorrow, the mother called 5 times while I was serving breakfast, chatting to guests, clearing, etc and I just called her and booked the room.
The family will all be by with gifts to put in the room and it reminded me of the time, FLASH BACK TIME >> When the family came by and toilet papered the outside of our house , no not banners and balloons, they literally TP's the whole garden side where the private entrance to the wedding night room was located. I caught them and said "What the heck are you doing?" and made them take it all down. I thought it was just horrible to do that. Balloons and flowers are one thing!

Excerpt:
Joey Bloggs said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Nope.
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I never have take overs and I don't mind them bringing people back (relatives). I actually like for them to bring locals in and to hear the oohs and aahs. I am different. You know that. But locals think "We know you we can get a room for free" or "You are a brothel or something, scary scary boarding house" or...and the list goes on. It is never good. The out of towners stay here because they don't want to stay with the rel's, that is a diff story. But the locals, I have one to call back right now...they just don't know what a B&B is.
UPDATED:
I just booked a room for a young couple getting married tomorrow, the mother called 5 times while I was serving breakfast, chatting to guests, clearing, etc and I just called her and booked the room.
The family will all be by with gifts to put in the room and it reminded me of the time, FLASH BACK TIME >> When the family came by and toilet papered the outside of our house , no not banners and balloons, they literally TP's the whole garden side where the private entrance to the wedding night room was located. I caught them and said "What the heck are you doing?" and made them take it all down. I thought it was just horrible to do that. Balloons and flowers are one thing!
Joey Bloggs said:
TP? How tacky! FYI, place a kitchen garbage bag in the room for all that wrapping paper and if you have a couple of paper bags with handles, place that in the room as well for them to carry the gifts out.

Excerpt:
Joey Bloggs said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Nope.
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
UPDATED:
Joey Bloggs said:
TP? How tacky! FYI, place a kitchen garbage bag in the room for all that wrapping paper and if you have a couple of paper bags with handles, place that in the room as well for them to carry the gifts out.
Good advice! A bridal couple arrived : tux, gown, the works. I show them the room, tub with the lights, etc. and she says, we'd love a couple of really big trash bags. Right there in the parking lot, still all dressed up, they busted down the gifts: he unwrapped, she had a pad for names and notes. I toted off two bags of wrappings and didn't see them again until late the next morning. A really efficient team.

Excerpt:
Joey Bloggs said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Nope.
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
UPDATED:
Joey Bloggs said:
UPDATED:
When my best friend's daughter got married, we got wind that the father of the groom planned to do something to thier car - put sardines on the manifold as someone had done to them when they got married. So we told the kids to take MY car thinking he would not do anything to MY car. Wrong! The wedding party was decorating the car and ran to tell me the father was at my car. I went down to it and asked him ehat the hell he thought he was doing! He muttered something and left. The scary part is that the idiot did not lean on the hood of my car before he left. (We did not tell him where the kids were going for good reason.) next morning when my friend took us to pick up my car at the hotel, we discocered the hood was on latch - not secured! We are so grateful the kids were not going very far as it could have been disaster. This was in Alabama. Goes to show idiots are everywhere.

Back