7 ways to combat a negative review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought offering something for free to get someone to recant a bad review was not allowed?
RIki

I thought offering something for free to get someone to recant a bad review was not allowed?
RIki.
egoodell said:
As I read it, it's not saying they would recant the bad review. It said they would let the owner fix the problem.
"Let the customer know there’s a discount, free product, or something extra in it for them if they allow you to rectify the problem."
Certainly, recanting the bad review would be appreciated, but the article doesn't come and and say it would be a quid pro quo, so it may be OK.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
I don't think offering to make things right with the guest is forbidden. It's offering them an incentive to write the review in the first place that's not allowed.

It never ceases to amaze me how many businesses around here have not cottoned on to the last point. It's so important to encourage those that will give you a good review to leave one, firstly it buries bad reviews quickly and secondly people are more likely to ignore a couple of bad reviews among 50 good ones than two bad reviews among 5.
But then I'm preaching to the converted here, aren't I ?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

What I appreciate is visiting innmates and then shake my head "How in the world!" I do not understand people's perception, at all. When I am there and see what the person had reviewed it is absurdity upon absurdity! You wonder, were they even at this inn?

What I appreciate is visiting innmates and then shake my head "How in the world!" I do not understand people's perception, at all. When I am there and see what the person had reviewed it is absurdity upon absurdity! You wonder, were they even at this inn?.
Right now we have innkeepers in the house. (There should be an acronym for that!) They had a review that said the guest thought they should have been given freshly-baked pastries, muffins, breads along with the hot entree, granola, yogurt, cereal and fresh fruit.
Then the guest stated, 'Overall, for $85 for the family it was a good deal.'
I almost fell out of my chair. They got all of that plus a room for a family for $85? And they thought they had a complaint? They would have spent more for the breakfast alone had they had to eat at a diner.
There is just no accounting for what people think is fair as far as pricing goes and what amenities should be included in that.

What I appreciate is visiting innmates and then shake my head "How in the world!" I do not understand people's perception, at all. When I am there and see what the person had reviewed it is absurdity upon absurdity! You wonder, were they even at this inn?.
Right now we have innkeepers in the house. (There should be an acronym for that!) They had a review that said the guest thought they should have been given freshly-baked pastries, muffins, breads along with the hot entree, granola, yogurt, cereal and fresh fruit.
Then the guest stated, 'Overall, for $85 for the family it was a good deal.'
I almost fell out of my chair. They got all of that plus a room for a family for $85? And they thought they had a complaint? They would have spent more for the breakfast alone had they had to eat at a diner.
There is just no accounting for what people think is fair as far as pricing goes and what amenities should be included in that.
Madeleine said:
Right now we have innkeepers in the house. (There should be an acronym for that!)
There is: "PITA"
Oops did I just type that out loud? None from THIS forum of course, those "other" innkeepers.
pita.gif

Back