70th-floor check-ins planned for new LA hotel

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 70-story hotel will make a great place from which to enjoy the next southern California earthquake.
I always ask for a high floor at hotels. I enjoy the views. But no way do I want to swim in that infinity pool on the 70th floor!

Being the daughter of a retired structural steel union ironworker I can say that California spends more money on retrofitting for earthquakes than any where on the planet. So anything new (other than the obv "twin towers" comparison) would be safer than a 25 story older building any place else.
Just wanted to say that. You need to worry more about crumbling infrastructure...

Just as I can walk and chew gum at the same time, I can and will worry about BOTH crumbling infrastructure and being in a 70-story building in earthquake country. ;-)
But it's mainly that infinity pool that wouldn't be for me, just like I wouldn't play tennis at that Dubai hotel...
TENNIS1.JPG

I will happily stay in any Calif hotel, but no way on this green earth are you getting me in that infinity pool, and if I ever make it to Dubai, I will be leaving my tennis racket in the states. I like walls when I am that high, if no walls, gimme a good air plane cabin with little tiny windows!!!!

Just as I can walk and chew gum at the same time, I can and will worry about BOTH crumbling infrastructure and being in a 70-story building in earthquake country. ;-)
But it's mainly that infinity pool that wouldn't be for me, just like I wouldn't play tennis at that Dubai hotel...
TENNIS1.JPG
Grand Canyon Skywalk. I want to go there. I will hold on for dear life, but I want to go there! (Says the vertiginous one.)

TENNIS1.JPG
Grand Canyon Skywalk. I want to go there. I will hold on for dear life, but I want to go there! (Says the vertiginous one.)
Madeleine said:
We can go together, I will hold your trembling hand and you can hold mine.

TENNIS1.JPG
Madeleine said:
My glass floor over the cistern will be almost as good. Well, perhaps not!

TENNIS1.JPG
Madeleine said:
My glass floor over the cistern will be almost as good. Well, perhaps not!
I will take your glass cover over the Grand Canyon any day!!!!
At least I know who far the bottom is!!

But don't forget the gist of the article, it is the CHECK IN on the 70th. We have people fuss over walking 100 feet from the parking lot to the front door!

But don't forget the gist of the article, it is the CHECK IN on the 70th. We have people fuss over walking 100 feet from the parking lot to the front door!.
Maybe those people need to go to places with curbside check in.
I can't imagine taking an elevator to the 70th floor to check in. Seems odd, but then again I left that state for a reason. LOL

But don't forget the gist of the article, it is the CHECK IN on the 70th. We have people fuss over walking 100 feet from the parking lot to the front door!.
Joey Bloggs said:
We have people fuss over walking 100 feet from the parking lot to the front door!
I constantly hear people here say they won't shop downtown because "there's no parking." So I recently looked in to this. I went to Walmart, parked in the center of the parking lot and counted my steps to get to the center of the store: 160 steps.
Then I parked in the center of the big public parking lot at the edge of our downtown and counted my steps to the center of the town square: 150 steps.
And let me add that never in my life had I had to park in that public lot to go to a store downtown. There's always a parking place closer than that.
People park at Walmart and walk a mile every day with no complaint, but if they can't park right in front of the store they're visiting downtown, they won't bother to park and go in.
I can't see any problem with checking in to a hotel on the 70th floor. I'll be dragging my luggage up there anyway because I always stay on a high floor if I can (yes, even in southern California...I'm not really that afraid of earthquakes).

Joey Bloggs said:
We have people fuss over walking 100 feet from the parking lot to the front door!
I constantly hear people here say they won't shop downtown because "there's no parking." So I recently looked in to this. I went to Walmart, parked in the center of the parking lot and counted my steps to get to the center of the store: 160 steps.
Then I parked in the center of the big public parking lot at the edge of our downtown and counted my steps to the center of the town square: 150 steps.
And let me add that never in my life had I had to park in that public lot to go to a store downtown. There's always a parking place closer than that.
People park at Walmart and walk a mile every day with no complaint, but if they can't park right in front of the store they're visiting downtown, they won't bother to park and go in.
I can't see any problem with checking in to a hotel on the 70th floor. I'll be dragging my luggage up there anyway because I always stay on a high floor if I can (yes, even in southern California...I'm not really that afraid of earthquakes).
We hear that "no place to park" whine here also. You have proven what I have said for a long time - people will go to the Mall or Wa llyWo rld and park in the back 40 and think nothing of walking in but in the small town? God forbid they should walk 5 feet!

Joey Bloggs said:
We hear that "no place to park" whine here also. You have proven what I have said for a long time - people will go to the Mall or Wa llyWo rld and park in the back 40 and think nothing of walking in but in the small town? God forbid they should walk 5 feet!
People won't walk across the parking lot here. I watch them at the hotel next door all trying to park in the 3 spaces reserved for checking in.

Back