8 Attitudes That Make for a Bad Impression

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with all of them...how do I get my guests to stop walking in the door with at least one and usually more than one of them?!?!?!

Dealing with the public is like being an actor. Sometimes you have to put on a public persona different from your private one. If the character you're playing is supposed to be vivacious and friendly, you must portray that when you go on stage, even when you don't feel like it.
We were amazed in Ireland in June at how over-the-top the greetings were from the Irish innkeepers. We stayed at 3 Irish B&Bs, and at all of them the owners greeted us every day with a big smile and a loud "and how are you this glorious day, my darlin's". Even though I knew they were to some extent putting on a show, it made us feel better about them and their place. (The innkeepers in England were noticably more subdued, and the atmosphere wasn't quite as friendly as a result.)
Reminds me of a tip I got at a seminar once. When you answer the phone, smile when you talk to the caller. Even though they can't see you smiling, putting on the smile will actually have a positive affect on how you sound to them.

Dealing with the public is like being an actor. Sometimes you have to put on a public persona different from your private one. If the character you're playing is supposed to be vivacious and friendly, you must portray that when you go on stage, even when you don't feel like it.
We were amazed in Ireland in June at how over-the-top the greetings were from the Irish innkeepers. We stayed at 3 Irish B&Bs, and at all of them the owners greeted us every day with a big smile and a loud "and how are you this glorious day, my darlin's". Even though I knew they were to some extent putting on a show, it made us feel better about them and their place. (The innkeepers in England were noticably more subdued, and the atmosphere wasn't quite as friendly as a result.)
Reminds me of a tip I got at a seminar once. When you answer the phone, smile when you talk to the caller. Even though they can't see you smiling, putting on the smile will actually have a positive affect on how you sound to them..
That was one of the things I found so amazingly false about the PO's. The hearty 'hail fellow well met' greetings. The back-slapping, the double-handed handshake, the pasted on smile.
Yes, smile. Yes, have a happy greeting. But, we're not selling used cars here...sincerity goes a long way.
(In case you're wondering, yes, guests HAVE commented on how they could tell it was a show and how they knew the PO's were very unhappy.)

sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with"We were amazed in Ireland in June at how over-the-top the greetings were from the Irish innkeepers. ....."
THAT is the way they are, that is the way many European or "non Americans" are when they greet guests - the fact that it is DIFFERENT to how American Innkeepers may do it does not make it "fake" or "over the top".
And in the same way, Europeans may say Americans are superficial or cold, again that does not mean it's wrong or over the top.
I have lived and worked internationally and domestically so these concepts are not "foreign" (excuse the pun) to me.

Irish guest houses do put their best foot forward to visitors, that is part of how they operate. Tourism is important to them. They do in fact, lay it on thick. There are plenty of rough and rude Irish, plenty of bad servers in pubs, plenty of anti-American sentiment as well, like in any country, but if it is your bread and butter you better lay it on thick and welcome your guests in with open arms.
That is what amazes me so much about many U.S. B&B's, they seem to not be bothered whether a guest enjoys their stay or not and some innkeepers are just plain arrogant. You all know what I mean. You have been there done that. They take their role as a glamorous one for some reason.
But again, sure there are Italians who talk with their arms kiss your cheeks, Brits who have stiff upper lips and Americans that are all big white teethy grins. There are stereotypes that fit and break the mold.
I do believe this article should be about ourselves, however, not about our guests or other inns. So I got sucked into the vortex as well, sorry y'all. Keep up the good work! Keep on the sunny side!

We tried putting on a happy face yesterday at noon for guests who arrived way early and then insulted us. Last night I had a good chat with the menfolk of the couples and got them all squared away for great 'guy' things to do today. I could hear these 2 guys all night meeting and greeting everyone who came thru the living room, 'Hello! Where are you from? Come, sit down and join us.'
Yes, the same crew that practically told ME I wasn't welcome in my inn's sitting room.
This morning the guys were all excited about their guy stuff to do and the womenfolk barely said a word to me.
Before I spoke with them last night, tho, they were treating me like I was part of the furniture. How I respond back to that is to basically give them the space they want, avoid them as much as possible but still be gracious. (Then I rant here!) I was actually helping another couple find something to do today when the other 2 interrupted to get directions to the same place.
I certainly hope they enjoy their day out because if they all come back grumpy again I'm gonna hide until they go away.
Condecension is the toughest attitude we have to deal with here. And I know it's partly the way we dress. Guests talk down to us because we're casual. If I had on heels and pearls I'd have half the problems I do. But I wouldn't be me.
Essentially, this job requires that you take none of the bad attitudes personally because it'll kill you quick if you do.

We tried putting on a happy face yesterday at noon for guests who arrived way early and then insulted us. Last night I had a good chat with the menfolk of the couples and got them all squared away for great 'guy' things to do today. I could hear these 2 guys all night meeting and greeting everyone who came thru the living room, 'Hello! Where are you from? Come, sit down and join us.'
Yes, the same crew that practically told ME I wasn't welcome in my inn's sitting room.
This morning the guys were all excited about their guy stuff to do and the womenfolk barely said a word to me.
Before I spoke with them last night, tho, they were treating me like I was part of the furniture. How I respond back to that is to basically give them the space they want, avoid them as much as possible but still be gracious. (Then I rant here!) I was actually helping another couple find something to do today when the other 2 interrupted to get directions to the same place.
I certainly hope they enjoy their day out because if they all come back grumpy again I'm gonna hide until they go away.
Condecension is the toughest attitude we have to deal with here. And I know it's partly the way we dress. Guests talk down to us because we're casual. If I had on heels and pearls I'd have half the problems I do. But I wouldn't be me.
Essentially, this job requires that you take none of the bad attitudes personally because it'll kill you quick if you do..
Morticia said:
Essentially, this job requires that you take none of the bad attitudes personally because it'll kill you quick if you do.
I always find it amusing when we get these kinds of folks, the ones who seem to think they are the innkeepers. Mostly I'm more than happy to let them sit there and chat away. We prefer to give people their space. It always seems to be the older couples traveling together who fall into this category...which we're of course inundated with this time of year.

Don I had those "this is what YOU should do" guests last week and I laughed when he told me how to operate the inn. He said "You need to have a print out of the history of this house so people can read it."
I have tons of stuff printed out that nobody reads. Where do I put that sheet? With the other 25 printed sheets that people don't read. Some people read, but adding one more item to the list is just one more item. Plus guests ask me the history and I tell them, esp from their OWN ROOM perspective, ie give them info about the house and how their room played a part.

I know people who tell me what I should do (to a woman with 20 years hotel & b&B experince) gets my fur stood up. Had a whole lecture about how we should put up signs saying we will only change the towels if they are in the tub and this would save us a fortune. It won't because most of our stays are one night so will make very little difference. People like that annoy me because they are so sure they are right. I wouldn't dream of telling someone how to do their job so what gives them the right to tell me.?

Speaking of reading...
On the other hand, Mister guest was waiting in the parlor while the Missus took forever to get ready and began reading a book and bought it was my $5 book crate. :)
Mostly guests take them upstairs and read them and leave them in the room. They are from the FOR SALE crate, I have plenty of other books everywhere here, in the rooms, in the parlor etc. So was nice for a change for someone to actually buy one!

I know people who tell me what I should do (to a woman with 20 years hotel & b&B experince) gets my fur stood up. Had a whole lecture about how we should put up signs saying we will only change the towels if they are in the tub and this would save us a fortune. It won't because most of our stays are one night so will make very little difference. People like that annoy me because they are so sure they are right. I wouldn't dream of telling someone how to do their job so what gives them the right to tell me.?.
This REALLY gets my goat..."You know what you SHOULD do?" Yeah buddy, the suggestion box is five miles up the railroad tracks. I wouldn't EVER try to tell someone how to do their job, it's plain rude.

Back