80 year old children?

INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A guest pulls in with his 80 yo mother, checks in and says, 'Here's my phone number, she has a cellphone, I'm going out. If you need me, call.' Mom is watching TV but I do feel like I've just been set up as a babysitter.

wendydk

Reaction score
I see it as the son being considerate and giving you a way to reach him if something does happen....probably just being a good son, taking care of Mom.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably because you have!

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Probably because you have!.
gillumhouse said:
I felt more like that than he was being helpful. It was more, 'Here, Mom, here's the TV, I'll be back later.' And then to us, 'If there's any trouble, call me.' Gomez kept checking up on her. Making sure she hadn't fallen out of her chair or she didn't need anything.
It was no different than someone doing that with an 8 year old who was tired of going around to the stores.

seashanty

Staff member
Reaction score
gillumhouse said:
I felt more like that than he was being helpful. It was more, 'Here, Mom, here's the TV, I'll be back later.' And then to us, 'If there's any trouble, call me.' Gomez kept checking up on her. Making sure she hadn't fallen out of her chair or she didn't need anything.
It was no different than someone doing that with an 8 year old who was tired of going around to the stores.
except that an 80 year old has the right to be left in a room alone. was she delicate? did it all work out okay?

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
gillumhouse said:
except that an 80 year old has the right to be left in a room alone. was she delicate? did it all work out okay?
Using a walker and not very well. It all worked out and they loved their stay. I think mother was happier watching TV than fighting the shopping crowds.
Edited to add- I just found out that mother was up at 5:30 as soon as Gomez hit the kitchen. He set her up in front of the TV with a coffee and the paper and cranked the heat up for her.