9 'surprising' germ havens

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
a few of these surprised me, a few did not ... thought i'd pass this along from woman's day
9 surprising germ havens
" If you had to guess the germiest places in your home, you’d probably name the usual suspects, like the toilet and the trash can, right? True, but germs are sneaky, and experts say that some of the most surprising places in your house (hello, bath towels!) may be harboring harmful bacteria and viruses. "

None of them surprised me in the least...especially
Worse: Whirlpool-style tubs, which some experts say may be bacterial breeding grounds due to the construction of the pipes, seem to be the biggest culprits. A study by scientists at Texas A&M University that examined water samples from 43 whirlpool tubs found that all had dangerous bacterial growth—from fecal matter to fungi.
Which is why I NEVER use one at a hotel or B & B....

without reading it I would say remote control.
but germs don't live forever on items, like a toothbrush, they die out and are not there when you brush again if you brush morning and evening.

They forgot door knobs! My son did a science experiment on "Germs" and lifted "suspected germs" off of places like door knobs, shelves, libraries, food places etc... and let them grow in petri dishes.. All of us were grossed out! The worst and nastiest germs came from a large chain pizza place! Needless to say... we never, ever have eaten there again! Of course everyone begged us to tell them which pizza place it was and for fear of being sued we never did!

Yes and yes. Bleach!!! Hot water!!!! No shoes in house!!!!!

any place there are kids...who chew their fingers and fingernails...

Worse: Whirlpool-style tubs, which some experts say may be bacterial breeding grounds due to the construction of the pipes, seem to be the biggest culprits. A study by scientists at Texas A&M University that examined water samples from 43 whirlpool tubs found that all had dangerous bacterial growth—from fecal matter to fungi.
Which is why I NEVER use one at a hotel or B & B.....
catlady said:
We have the whirlpool tub with the system that cleans these pipes. You pour bleach in the one spot and turn on the special tap which runs boiling hot water with the bleach through the pipes. I don't know why the other companies have not changed to this system - two makers have it now. MCI (I think that's the name) and Bath Tec. We love our Bath Tec whirlpool!
RIki

catlady said:
We have the whirlpool tub with the system that cleans these pipes. You pour bleach in the one spot and turn on the special tap which runs boiling hot water with the bleach through the pipes. I don't know why the other companies have not changed to this system - two makers have it now. MCI (I think that's the name) and Bath Tec. We love our Bath Tec whirlpool!
RIki
Yes, I know about your type....but is yours a whirlpool or one of those 'bubbler" types?

catlady said:
RIki
Yes, I know about your type....but is yours a whirlpool or one of those 'bubbler" types?
catlady said:
Ours is a whirlpool that shoots water. To me, the bubble types are not real whirlpool. I know some have more sensative skin and prefer them, but with my bad back if I'm going to use one I want the real power of the water.
Do the air type not clean as well or something? Just curious.
RIki

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
Ours is a whirlpool that shoots water. To me, the bubble types are not real whirlpool. I know some have more sensative skin and prefer them, but with my bad back if I'm going to use one I want the real power of the water.
RIki
No I think the brands you mentioned have the special cleaning feature or similar. With my back, only my massaging jets on my hot tub are strong enougjh:)

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
RIki
No I think the brands you mentioned have the special cleaning feature or similar. With my back, only my massaging jets on my hot tub are strong enougjh:)
catlady said:
Yes, I'd like a hot tub. Our whirlpool is masaging but not as strong as a hot tub. **sigh** that will come down the road but will have to wait until we have our other rooms in.
We are waiting for the septic man to let us know the skinny on what we need to put in.
Interesting how being $3 mill in the red can make our County suddenly be so cooperative in approving our addition compared to when we first tried to start out and get our license....
RIki

I got one of my worst colds after a sick co worker called in for tech support. He had been sneezing all morning and using his keyboard. Ugh. After I came back to work from being out sick I told him to not come to work like that again, or if he did to not call tech support!
And I'll be washing off those S&P shakers tomorrow.

I got one of my worst colds after a sick co worker called in for tech support. He had been sneezing all morning and using his keyboard. Ugh. After I came back to work from being out sick I told him to not come to work like that again, or if he did to not call tech support!
And I'll be washing off those S&P shakers tomorrow..
I'm washing the keyboards right now! BTW bleach and water solution is the bomb! So easy, so cheap...more effective than most anything else. And IPA is cheap too!

Back