9 Years Later...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I am expecting a lady to check in today. A car pulls up, parks, and a lady gets out and comes across the street. So I think it is my inn-coming. I greet her with the last name and she proceeds to tell me no, "You probably do not remember me and there is no reason why you should because I stayed here 9 years ago on business. I roamed around town and took some photos for you." She then told me her name. I responded with, you were from Arizona. She was surprised I remembered.
She came in and we sat sown in the dining room and as I got her some water, I said to her that she was from Flagstaff if I remembered correctly. She wanted to stop by to see if we were still here as she remembered the stay here fondly. She was here on business again and was on her way to Pittsburgh.

thumbs_up.gif

Great story and why B&B's are a better way to stay..
copperhead said:
Great story and why B&B's are a better way to stay.
Today as I was thinking about why the little church bell in the mountains was so special, I thought about everyone having a story. I thought about how certain guests have touched my life and how I was able to hear their story, sipping coffee at my table.
You nailed it Copperhead, this is why...it's all about people.
Some come and go, and that is the law of averages, but some stay with us, and us with them!

Great story and why B&B's are a better way to stay..
copperhead said:
Great story and why B&B's are a better way to stay.
Today as I was thinking about why the little church bell in the mountains was so special, I thought about everyone having a story. I thought about how certain guests have touched my life and how I was able to hear their story, sipping coffee at my table.
You nailed it Copperhead, this is why...it's all about people.
Some come and go, and that is the law of averages, but some stay with us, and us with them!
And it's scary how much the guests remember about us! They tell me things I've completely forgotten we talked about. I always think that means we made a really good impression on them. (Well, they DID come back after all!)

To finish - had to go teach knitting - She had taken a lot of photos and I was putting together a brochure for my city so she put the photos on disc for me, just asking for photo credit. I had not even thought about it to remember that part but she said I had sent her a copy of the brochure and was pleased to see it and her photo credit in it.
She stayed a very brief time, asking if she could see the place again so I showed her the "new" Gillum House. When she stepped into the "old" bathroom she sounded so disappointed that the claw-foot tub was gone (her co-worker had gone to a hotel because she did not want to use a hand-held shower) and then when I showed her the "new" bathroom her face lit up to see the claw-foot was there. The only room i could not show her was the room she had stayed in because it is occupied. It is the room with the most changes because it now has a queen bed!
It was a lovely surprise. So I guess this really WAS the Better Way To Stay! (even when it was 3 with a shared!)

I'm impressed with your memory!
I have a photographic memory...only it's more of a faded daguerreotype that's been shoved in a box and lost in someone's basement and eventually eaten by rats.

I'm impressed with your memory!
I have a photographic memory...only it's more of a faded daguerreotype that's been shoved in a box and lost in someone's basement and eventually eaten by rats..
It was the name that tripped it for me. Have no idea why - it just did.

To finish - had to go teach knitting - She had taken a lot of photos and I was putting together a brochure for my city so she put the photos on disc for me, just asking for photo credit. I had not even thought about it to remember that part but she said I had sent her a copy of the brochure and was pleased to see it and her photo credit in it.
She stayed a very brief time, asking if she could see the place again so I showed her the "new" Gillum House. When she stepped into the "old" bathroom she sounded so disappointed that the claw-foot tub was gone (her co-worker had gone to a hotel because she did not want to use a hand-held shower) and then when I showed her the "new" bathroom her face lit up to see the claw-foot was there. The only room i could not show her was the room she had stayed in because it is occupied. It is the room with the most changes because it now has a queen bed!
It was a lovely surprise. So I guess this really WAS the Better Way To Stay! (even when it was 3 with a shared!).
What a heart-warming story. Thanks for sharing this.

Back