A Better way to market???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
We have all seen the Progressive commericals and how they advertise that they will provide you with a comparison of other car ins rates? Their new ad made me do a
lightbulb.gif
Wonder how that type of marketing would work for a B&B? (not just with pricing but VALUE)

I think they kinda got the idea of using a recurring dude from the Allstate ads? There's another one for Progressive in a mattress store which is also funny.
regular_smile.gif

I know that I blogged about the value of our place compared to the local hotels because of all the "complimentary" add ons. People on the phone looking for a $100/night place could give a rip.
sad_smile.gif

I don't think that would work.
Don't you think that the perceived value of B&B is somewhat subjective? We're all different. And, as has been discussed in another recent thread, how do you quantify "value"?
There is no way my little two-cottage-woodsy setup could compare to a 10 room in near a tourist mecca. I could only be compared with what was available in my area. There are three other B&Bs in my area and we are all different and cater to different demographics. In fact, we often refer guests to one or the other B&Bs because they suit their needs better. Happily, they do the same for us.

I have seen that just recently on someone's site. A comparison rate chart showing what they offered for what price compared with places in town.
Then, I also saw hotels in the same chain showing the rates at the other hotels in the chain. I looked. And I booked at a place charging less. They all offer the same thing- room. There are no perks. No breakfast. It's a room. Why would I pay $225 when this other place, in the same chain, on the same street, had rooms for $68? (If this was a BAD decision, I will let you know!)

I have seen that just recently on someone's site. A comparison rate chart showing what they offered for what price compared with places in town.
Then, I also saw hotels in the same chain showing the rates at the other hotels in the chain. I looked. And I booked at a place charging less. They all offer the same thing- room. There are no perks. No breakfast. It's a room. Why would I pay $225 when this other place, in the same chain, on the same street, had rooms for $68? (If this was a BAD decision, I will let you know!).
Yes, it could back fire and sometimes (I have heard) it backfires on Progressive. It just raised the marketing flag with me with the question about jean comparisons, of course the only thing going for a store is to beat someone else's price... 501's are 501's no matter where they are purchased, while we all know price is NOT the only factor when comparing a place to stay...
Ike - please let us know... Sometimes it is the quality of the sleep. A $68 mattress vs a $150 mattress.
wink_smile.gif

Again you have to consider who you are marketing towards...do you want to get people who are looking for a deal?

Again you have to consider who you are marketing towards...do you want to get people who are looking for a deal?.
Don Draper said:
Again you have to consider who you are marketing towards...do you want to get people who are looking for a deal?
When I see these ads I kind of laugh because if I saved what they show, they'd owe me money.
As far as showing what is on offer vs price in a chart on my website, I could do that and still get the guests I want. Because it's not all about price. The $68 room was not the lowest price shown on the website I looked at. I could have gotten a room for $45. I had a referral for the $68 place so that's why I went for that one. The $45 place caters to a lot of families with little kids which is why I opted to not go there.

We had a B&B owner come to us recently with an issue. She had always positioned her B&B as a premium, upmarket place. Except she gets most of her business from conferences and business travelers as she is not in a major city. The problem she faced was that she was more expensive then her neighbour. So although she offered better conference facilities, meals, and service, he was getting regular bookings and she was getting none. It was driving her business under. This was the impact the recession had on her business - businesses were cutting back and people wanted to get cheap deals.
She didn't want to lower her rates, because she didn't want to be the type of place that got a reputation as being 'cheap'. What we suggested to her was that she did an entry level conference package - something with a quirky name, like the Good Deal Package, and then she kept her premium package and branded that as well. That way she could offer both types of services appealing to both types of people. She could strip away the extras and simplify the meal options to get the sale, and then probably charge additional for those extras when people arrived.
Marketing strategies have to adapt as consumer trends change, so if everyone is short of money, they will be looking for a good deal. You don't have to compare your rates to other providers, but you can definitely do things like book 2 nights, get 1 free, or free champagne on arrival etc etc. Bums in beds is better than none and people perceive value in those offerings. You just have to be clever about how you make the money back. If you offer them a good deal they will talk, and for all you know that one person could tell another 3 or 4 people about you. Or add a mini fridge to your rooms filled with delicious chocolates and snacks, and that can get you some extra money too.

Back