a bunch of guys pretending they live in IKEA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or the folks who invent lives for the people who live in the catalogs...
http://catalogliving.net/
http://unhappyhipsters.com/

http://unhappyhipsters.com/.
Alibi Ike said:
Had a good friend and coworker who had two children who were catalog models (and made good money doing it too!) - (Eddie Bauer and another popular NW company). I mention as Eddie Bauer is one who had great catalogs, I mean they sold by "THE SCENE" as that was so important, setting the scene. I remember how many days the shoots would take for just one photo.
I thought it was rotten to do that to those kids, but they were spoiled brats anyway! They loved all the attention.

I have yet to enter that store. We have a huge one here..
toddburme said:
I have yet to enter that store. We have a huge one here.
Spoken like a true "foreigner" to Ikea, they are all huge, that is what they are big warehouses. There are none near us, but I used to go to one in Australia near Parramatta in the early 90's. I remember thinking how much junk it was, now I wanna go to back to one!

http://unhappyhipsters.com/.
Alibi Ike said:
Had a good friend and coworker who had two children who were catalog models (and made good money doing it too!) - (Eddie Bauer and another popular NW company). I mention as Eddie Bauer is one who had great catalogs, I mean they sold by "THE SCENE" as that was so important, setting the scene. I remember how many days the shoots would take for just one photo.
I thought it was rotten to do that to those kids, but they were spoiled brats anyway! They loved all the attention.
One of my nephews was in a catalog (can't remember which but I think it was Lands End). It was a totally candid shot his mother took of him wearing their winter jacket and it was a cute pic. She sent it in and all hell broke loose when it was published. It shows him in a snow tunnel he built pushing a little dump truck. Apparently, tons of people wrote in and said that was unsafe, should never have been published encouraging other kids to do that, where were his parents (taking the photo), etc.
Thank goodness she didn't send in the photo of their father jumping off the porch roof (wearing his new winter jacket) into 7' of snow and all you could see was the top of his head (he's pretty tall).

(Sorry to sidetrack) but I was thinking about the family I mentioned and their "child centered household" and how this 'opportunity' to earn some college money just fed that selfishness in these kids. They were the total center at the shoots, and walked away large and in charge (even as little kids) to their families, teachers and classmates. It was always interesting to watch. Now they would be in uni and does the world revolve around them today? Probably not so much.

(Sorry to sidetrack) but I was thinking about the family I mentioned and their "child centered household" and how this 'opportunity' to earn some college money just fed that selfishness in these kids. They were the total center at the shoots, and walked away large and in charge (even as little kids) to their families, teachers and classmates. It was always interesting to watch. Now they would be in uni and does the world revolve around them today? Probably not so much..
Talk about a culture shock!

(Sorry to sidetrack) but I was thinking about the family I mentioned and their "child centered household" and how this 'opportunity' to earn some college money just fed that selfishness in these kids. They were the total center at the shoots, and walked away large and in charge (even as little kids) to their families, teachers and classmates. It was always interesting to watch. Now they would be in uni and does the world revolve around them today? Probably not so much..
It's kind of unfortunate that it rarely happens because we all hope that kids who need it will have to deal with the world the rest of us live in. I've watched a couple of kids like this lately. They have never come up against a situation their parents didn't bail them out of. All the teachers love the one kid, so even tho he hasn't finished an assignment yet this year he's on the high honor roll. Been accepted at big name unis all fawning and offering all kinds of financial deals to the kid who hasn't finished an assignment all year.
The parents and grandparents all have money. If the kid doesn't finish college, no big deal. Someone will take them in to the family biz with a big salary. And the rest of us have to work for these people.

We had a family next door in Illinois that revolved around the kids. Oldest boy was a jock who married a cheerleader after the "senior class trip" to Hawaii for the usual reason. It ended in divorce, him on drugs. DH ran into him when the kid was about 30. He was working as a UPS delivery and looked like an old man. It rarely turns out well when the kids rule.
Mom told me that when I was 2 or 3 my aunt worked for Marshall Field's and Mom was asked to let me be a model. She said no because I was already one who went into pose mode at the sight of a camera. For years I have wondered where the photogenic went. By the time I was 6 butt ugly had set in. Sigh!

I have yet to enter that store. We have a huge one here..
toddburme said:
I have yet to enter that store. We have a huge one here.
Spoken like a true "foreigner" to Ikea, they are all huge, that is what they are big warehouses. There are none near us, but I used to go to one in Australia near Parramatta in the early 90's. I remember thinking how much junk it was, now I wanna go to back to one!
We have one near Pittsburgh across the Parkway from Half Price Books. DH is itching to go back to Half Price and I may force a visit to IKEA while there. IF DH goes to Half Price first, he will have plenty to keep him busy while I am in IKEA.

When I first opened this post, I had no idea what IKEA was, a town? Country, show...? Now I am educated. Smile.

Back