A/C unit now doubles as ice maker

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Cleaning a room this morning and we turned on the A/C (yes it was hot and humid). The A/C unit started spitting chunks of ice at us. Near as we can tell, guests had A/C unit on and all windows open. Now A/C is all bound up.

I put TINY wood stoves in the living rooms of my vacation rental apartments because I don't want them building a big fire then running the AC to cool the apartment down. A small fire should be plenty for romance.
Reminds me of a saying my father always attributed to wise native Americans: Indian builds small fire and sits close; White man builds big fire and sits back.

We just turned our gas fireplaces off for the season. The rooms get way too hot with just the pilot on.
And, OMG! you are going to let city slickers start a FIRE in your apartments???
My take on that...there is a big inn next door to me. They have fireplaces in the rooms. They have instructions. The firewood is all laid out in the fireplace, kindling and all. You basically have to light the damn match and OPEN THE DRAFT. How many times in the SUMMER do I have to close my windows because I am being smoked out by loony tunes trying to start a fire when it is 80 degrees outside - you do not want to know how often this happens. (I don't know if they lay the fire on in the summer or if people just try to burn whatever.)
I was just in there today and their big fireplace in the drawing room has the nice decorative screen up so they are not doing fires in the drawing room right now.

Yes, fires. Fear not. I have it under control, and if it every becomes a problem I can switch them to gas.
Even city slickers in the south know how to manage fire ;-)

Back