A day 'off'

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I post this really for aspiring innkeepers. The rest of us know whereof I speak...
We blocked off all the rooms yesterday and took 'a day off'. Here's what that day off consisted of:
  1. Feeding the 15 guests who were in the house from Saturday night.
  2. Cleaning the 7 rooms.
  3. Doing the laundry from 7 rooms.
  4. (Here's the day off part...we hung out with our daughter and family for 4 hours.)
  5. Entered paperwork after they left.
  6. (Here's more of the day off part...slept in this morning)
  7. Finished laundry from yesterday.
  8. Washed all the floors.
  9. Made snacks for arriving guests.
If you really want 'a day off' you have to block off 2 days on the calendar.

Tooooo right - the only way you really get a day off is by having two in a row.
I am salivating about the Tuesday after Columbus Day - that's when we will be officially closed for at least 5 days. We had someone call to rebook their room from before CD to that Tuesday after CD ..... and I actually told them "No" ..... I'm so bad at that ... I hated doing it .... but once I put the phone down I drew a huge sigh of relief.

Yes, we're going to a wedding on Labor Day weekend... blocked off two days. The first day blocked off we'll have breakfast for at least 6, clean three rooms and common areas, do some laundry, and have everything perfect before we drive three hours to our destination. We'll spend the night, have the morning free as a family (after our 9:30 breakfast, the only time they serve), wedding in afternoon, second night at the B&B, then drive back and greet at least three rooms checking in.
So for two nights I really get one day, plus driving time.
=)
Kk.

Yes, we have discovered this as well, a day off requires two nights blocked off.
We had a day off like yours Bree, didn't book rooms for last night to get the kids ready for their first day of school, had those Saturday night guests here until 10:30 and then did all the cleaning and I'm still doing laundry. We did cram in some TV and Miniature golf and a trip to Mc D's, back to the grind today...

I lied. I didn't actually have time to wash the floors or make the snacks. And I'm too blasted hot right now to do anything.

I lied. I didn't actually have time to wash the floors or make the snacks. And I'm too blasted hot right now to do anything..
I thought it was cool up there now? Or are you just hot from all the running around cleaning? I thought you were going to hire that gal to help you out a bit?

Yes, we're going to a wedding on Labor Day weekend... blocked off two days. The first day blocked off we'll have breakfast for at least 6, clean three rooms and common areas, do some laundry, and have everything perfect before we drive three hours to our destination. We'll spend the night, have the morning free as a family (after our 9:30 breakfast, the only time they serve), wedding in afternoon, second night at the B&B, then drive back and greet at least three rooms checking in.
So for two nights I really get one day, plus driving time.
=)
Kk..
Ooooo, that's not something I do...I never come home to arriving guests after I've been away. THAT is stressful...traffic, late start, early arrival by guest, crankiness from driving, car breakdowns or flight cancellations. Nope, I can't sut it that close.
And you can almost be guaranteed that the guests WILL be sitting in the driveway to witness the 'unloading' of the car and will be at the door before you've got the key in. I've had guests do that when the only place I was was getting my hair cut. And it's 1:30! And I go in my door and they start ringing the inn bell.
Maybe I should start going in the inn door. They'll think I'm a guest.

I lied. I didn't actually have time to wash the floors or make the snacks. And I'm too blasted hot right now to do anything..
I thought it was cool up there now? Or are you just hot from all the running around cleaning? I thought you were going to hire that gal to help you out a bit?
Samster said:
Not cool anymore. It's 80, but the humidity is high. No, I really don't want to hire someone now. I have 2-3 rooms every night (almost) for weeks on end now. Even the weekends aren't full. She'd have nothing to do.

Well I am glad to see that some of that time was spent with your daughter. Hope all is well again.
regular_smile.gif

Well I am glad to see that some of that time was spent with your daughter. Hope all is well again.
regular_smile.gif
a 'day' off does mean 2 nites blocked or it isn't a day off ... unless someone can take over for you. even when i have blocked off just the one nite, a call or a walkin comes along and i feel guilty declining the booking.
you do have to figure out 'me' time ... however you do it.
a friend is coming to visit and i am trying to figure in some 'me' time ... it's very different from 9 to 5 ing. no matter how devoted i was to the job, there were times when i just went home and said 'i'll worry about whatever comes up tomorrow or monday' ...

regular_smile.gif
catlady said:
regular_smile.gif
Different daughter (I've got 2 of them, both with kids). BTW, first daughter who left early called yesterday and I asked how the ride home was...'Quiet.'
I think the g-kids were shocked that Grammie threw them out.

regular_smile.gif
a 'day' off does mean 2 nites blocked or it isn't a day off ... unless someone can take over for you. even when i have blocked off just the one nite, a call or a walkin comes along and i feel guilty declining the booking.
you do have to figure out 'me' time ... however you do it.
a friend is coming to visit and i am trying to figure in some 'me' time ... it's very different from 9 to 5 ing. no matter how devoted i was to the job, there were times when i just went home and said 'i'll worry about whatever comes up tomorrow or monday' ...
I no longer feel guilt at turning guests away. UNLESS, it is a repeat I like. I even told hubs the other day when I was exhausted and we stopped taking guests after we booked 5 rooms, 'If Meg calls, let her in.' It's about time she moseyed thru here again and she never makes a rez, she justs calls around 9 PM and says she's coming if we have the room. She lets herself in, hardly makes a noise, eats and leaves. I barely know she's here.

regular_smile.gif
catlady said:
regular_smile.gif
Different daughter (I've got 2 of them, both with kids). BTW, first daughter who left early called yesterday and I asked how the ride home was...'Quiet.'
I think the g-kids were shocked that Grammie threw them out.
OH, well...at least you have talked with the other daughter..that is a good thing:)

It is funny how a day off is looked at now ... we have booked 2 days off. First time for us, this Wednesday. It will be a PJ and cleaning day on Wednesday ... catch up day, and ironing and laundry and maybe a swim after the pool is cleaned. Oh and maybe, just maybe, we will even spend some time on our neglected room and our own bathrooms.
Thursday, we are planning to visit a local area that we should know about ... a hot springs.
We turned down a booking for these 2 days, feel a bit guilty but we are running on empty. We have been busy since July. I am not complaining as for the first 6 months of a new B&B, I think we are doing well. We are over the 100 guest mark. We are just feeling tired. We are lucky to be able to get occassional help and we have called a few times this last month.
We only have 4 rooms, 2 chihuahuas, a pool, a terrace, an open aired social room and dust. :s There is never ending work. I am thinking a 3rd day might just catch us up ;)

It is funny how a day off is looked at now ... we have booked 2 days off. First time for us, this Wednesday. It will be a PJ and cleaning day on Wednesday ... catch up day, and ironing and laundry and maybe a swim after the pool is cleaned. Oh and maybe, just maybe, we will even spend some time on our neglected room and our own bathrooms.
Thursday, we are planning to visit a local area that we should know about ... a hot springs.
We turned down a booking for these 2 days, feel a bit guilty but we are running on empty. We have been busy since July. I am not complaining as for the first 6 months of a new B&B, I think we are doing well. We are over the 100 guest mark. We are just feeling tired. We are lucky to be able to get occassional help and we have called a few times this last month.
We only have 4 rooms, 2 chihuahuas, a pool, a terrace, an open aired social room and dust. :s There is never ending work. I am thinking a 3rd day might just catch us up ;).
You deserve it! Don't forget to have some chocolate for yourselves
tounge_smile.gif

We only have 4 rooms, 2 chihuahuas, a pool, a terrace, an open aired social room and dust. :s There is never ending work. I am thinking a 3rd day might just catch us up ;).
Cathy said:
We only have 4 rooms, 2 chihuahuas, a pool, a terrace, an open aired social room and dust. :s There is never ending work. I am thinking a 3rd day might just catch us up ;)
Beware, tho, of taking too much time off...the chores don't get done because there is always mañana and you get out of practice quickly. At least I do. This morning I rolled over and looked at the clock and thought it said 6:35. Nope. 7:35. I was sure I had another hour to go!

Cathy said:
Beware, tho, of taking too much time off...the chores don't get done because there is always mañana and you get out of practice quickly. At least I do. This morning I rolled over and looked at the clock and thought it said 6:35. Nope. 7:35. I was sure I had another hour to go!
Good advice! I agree & the same thing happens if you're slow. I slept until 9 am this morning!! I never do that! And it's not like there's not plenty to do around here....

Cathy said:
Good advice! I agree & the same thing happens if you're slow. I slept until 9 am this morning!! I never do that! And it's not like there's not plenty to do around here....
you know my philosphy on sleeping in later..."if you did..then you NEEDED IT!" :)

Back