A Disappearing Passion

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
As I said, Himself built muzzle-loading rifles until post-polio made it impossible. It is an art that is being lost. This one is a Germanic style. Each of our 5 grandsons got a rifle made by their Grandfather. Here are a few photos to show his work. The stock started out as a block of wood about 5 feet long and 4 to 5 inches thick. This rifle was made using only the tools available in the 18th century. The lock and the barrel were purchased - as the gunsmith of the 18th century would have done. The patch box and spring were made by Himself, the carving was by him as was the "furniture" - the metal pieces (lock plate, trigger guard, patch box, and butt plate) that he filed to match his design. He also made the sights. Then he "browned" the barrel and put it all together and also drilled the hole for the ramrod, a delicate job because the wood of the stock is so thin under the barrel. There is a reflection on the butt of the rifle (the bluish rectangle) - the finish was that polished - one lady said it was like silk. The tang is what holds the barrel in the stock. GermanicbyPanek-gillumhouse.JPGButtbyPanek-gillumhouse.JPGTangphoto2.JPGWristbyPanek-gillumhouse.JPGcarvingbyPanek-gillumhouse.JPG

Beautiful. So much more than just weapons that fire projectiles. I've also seen some works of art created by knife makers.

Above our wood stove. 50 caliber Hawkin reproduction.
View attachment 102

We went to the Hawkin Shop near St Louis on one of our trips and Himself got to hold a real Hawkin. He was in "heaven". Himself stamped his basrrels and parts of his rifles with his name so no one could ever try to pass his work off as an original. We know of one "restoration" that had the patchbox as the original piece - the ONLY original piece. That made him super aware of "restorations". I am glad your Hubs like it.

Back