A Facebook Inn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Ok so I just read Jay's article on Facebook over breakfast.
I HAD to go see what this "person" did with it. I first looked at his site..OMG!!! I was floored. the site is a total turn off to me... as far as I am concerned. It is like he put everything he ever heard in SEO workshop into one page!The only word that comes to mind is "cramming"--if that is a real word.:)
Ok so every link to the "media" listed below the main photo...is not found! :-( And this guy touts that he is an expert.
If I were looking for a place to stay...and saw this site...I am out of there.
Though I do have to say..he really works that Facebook stuff to the MAX!!!!

Oh yeahhhhhhh know that inn and innkeeper from various other interactions.
shades_smile.gif

That is one that has a memorable TA mgmt response...everything is always very lengthy. A lesson to us all.

Wow, I just checked out the website and TA responses. I agree with you CL on the site and those management responses should be read by all innkeepers as an example of what NOT to do.
Yes, this property has a huge number of "likes" on FB, but I "Liked" them a long time ago and there were so many posts and invitations that I had to block them. Truely annoying!
It's interesting to note that even with thousands of FB fans or likes, what their availability calendar shows is not that impressive for an inn that large.
Sorry, but Jay's article states the owner spends at least 2 hours a day posting...I've got better things to do with my time and certainly won't annoy my guests with all those posts.

Wow, I just checked out the website and TA responses. I agree with you CL on the site and those management responses should be read by all innkeepers as an example of what NOT to do.
Yes, this property has a huge number of "likes" on FB, but I "Liked" them a long time ago and there were so many posts and invitations that I had to block them. Truely annoying!
It's interesting to note that even with thousands of FB fans or likes, what their availability calendar shows is not that impressive for an inn that large.
Sorry, but Jay's article states the owner spends at least 2 hours a day posting...I've got better things to do with my time and certainly won't annoy my guests with all those posts..
Oh my..I had forgotten about all of that....but...YOU CAN TURN THEM OFF
cry_smile.gif
which I have done for a few "friends."

Sorry, but Jay's article states the owner spends at least 2 hours a day posting...I've got better things to do with my time and certainly won't annoy my guests with all those posts..
Oh my..I had forgotten about all of that....but...YOU CAN TURN THEM OFF
cry_smile.gif
which I have done for a few "friends."
Yes, I've definitely turned them off. I just can't imagine that even your most loyal guests would really want to receive 4 & 5 posts a day and invitations several times a week. There's a fine line between informing and pestering.
By the way, I just received my very first reservation where the guest says they found us on FaceBook! Hopefully there will be more in the future, but I really think it's value is to keep in touch with your repeat guests.

I went back to look at TA mgt responses. Yes a little drastic..but...they are several years old. There are no recent real complaints..so things must have improved. Do you know if they also own the Farm Store or is that a different branch of the family.?

I suppose that the good news is that Google's new indexing patent will punish sites like the one noted. I've been designing and hosting web sites since 1994--and all the old tricks we used to use for getting good rankings are now held against the site. Nowadays, getting a good position is accomplished by writing well, using keywords (still need to avoid pronouns) judiciously and not trying any sneakiness.
If anyone's interested, I will be releasing a two hour video of a local class I give on effective SEO soon. I do not charge for the class and the video will be free as well.

I suppose that the good news is that Google's new indexing patent will punish sites like the one noted. I've been designing and hosting web sites since 1994--and all the old tricks we used to use for getting good rankings are now held against the site. Nowadays, getting a good position is accomplished by writing well, using keywords (still need to avoid pronouns) judiciously and not trying any sneakiness.
If anyone's interested, I will be releasing a two hour video of a local class I give on effective SEO soon. I do not charge for the class and the video will be free as well..
I agree! It is amazing how many people still use those old tricks and think they work.
AHHHHH another web guru....love to see your video. You really do need to get in touch with BBAV.:)

Back