A ferret? Really? And with Air, I don't have a CC number.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
After the Air BnB guest left, we found a disaster. Baseboards and window frames with bare wood exposed where inch-long slices of wood were gone. Stained wood desk with a 3 inch gash of bare unstained wood showing along the side. A hairy corn cob found under the bed. We're pretty sure she slipped a pet ferret in there!

Of course, an Air guest means I don't have a charge card number to charge for damages. A quick web search showed if you don't apply a damages deposit, Air says you're pretty much at the mercy of the guest to do the right thing.

So I posted a "protest" on Air, with many photos, and asked the guest to pay $165 for damages. She paid it (without comment). So, pretty much a confession. I have her the worst Air review possible. It's all I could do.

I got lucky. I have those wood stain "magic markers" that made the baseboard and desk scratches disappear. A little touch up paint solved the window frame damage. So everything looks OK now, though it will never really be the same again (which was perfect).

Another lesson learned. Important to know that we're at the mercy of Air guests, regarding damages. Of course, we're at the mercy of the CC companies if we try to charge the guest CC for damages, so still very iffy. I'm just glad I've never had a rock star. I've read how they really trash rooms!

I am so sorry you had a cretin in your gorgeous place. Everything was so beautiful and perfect. Luxury all the way. I guess the idiot never herd of a crate if she insists on traveling with a demon destructo. It may pass muster for the average person, but YOU will see every scratch forever. So sad.

Almost criminal. I see she paid, but I wonder if she didn’t, can you threaten her with an arrest warrant for vandalism? One scratch is an accident. Several is negligence or, at worst vandalism.

Legal action would be really hard, since Air doesn't give me their last name, phone number, e-mail address, or even what state they're from! Air, like Booking, is all about protecting the guest from the evil innkeepers...and keeping themselves between the guest and us so we can't tell them to cancel and book direct instead!

Legal action would be really hard, since Air doesn't give me their last name, phone number, e-mail address, or even what state they're from! Air, like Booking, is all about protecting the guest from the evil innkeepers...and keeping themselves between the guest and us so we can't tell them to cancel and book direct instead!
As a prerequisite to Air Bookings, I always ask them for both of their full names and their full address (It's built into the Air booking process). I phrase it: As a licensed B&B we require: Full Names for Both Guests, Full Address.
At the same time I ask if they have any Dietary Restrictions and what their Arrival time window will be. Everyone always provides this info, except one 20 something women, who thankfully ended up not booking with us. I DO get a phone number from Air directly.

As a prerequisite to Air Bookings, I always ask them for both of their full names and their full address (It's built into the Air booking process). I phrase it: As a licensed B&B we require: Full Names for Both Guests, Full Address.
At the same time I ask if they have any Dietary Restrictions and what their Arrival time window will be. Everyone always provides this info, except one 20 something women, who thankfully ended up not booking with us. I DO get a phone number from Air directly.
We do the exact same thing with info requests, and usually get it but not always. We never had an issue with Air guests and in fact we like them a lot more than booking or expedia bookings, much better communications.... though we are under 10% of total for OTA bookings.... I would have thought Air would be better than this on addressing damages...

Some years ago, an Air guest let her dog pee on the bed. After she left I informed her of the damage, saying that fortunately there was a waterproof mattress cover on the bed so the damage would be $40 instead of $700, and 'how would you like to pay for that?" She sent a check. It didn't bounce.
More recently, an Air guest destroyed a set of blinds on a same day turnover. I informed guest, who ghosted, and Air. Eventually they compensated the price of a new blind set. Fortunately I had a magnetic rod and curtain handy and put them up before the next guest. Few other ( and minor) damages, and those were instantly forgiven due to the guest informing me right away.

As a prerequisite to Air Bookings, I always ask them for both of their full names and their full address.
Do you ask the guest directly, and trust them to tell the truth, before accepting the booking, or does Air provide the contact info from their so-called verified database?

I guess it’s obvious we don’t use air. We talked to them and requested ability to charge through our system. They don’t offer that so we said no.

Do you ask the guest directly, and trust them to tell the truth, before accepting the booking, or does Air provide the contact info from their so-called verified database?
I have not had any experiences with Air Guests not being truthful or trustworthy. Once I have their info, it's extremely easy to verify online. Also if you go to any of your Air Bookings, you will see their Verified Phone Number under the Call Button. RK's Channex Manager also automatically inserts the phone number and full name in the reservation when they block our calendar.

Also, if you go into your listing's Policies, under Booking Requirements you can add your questions here:

Pre-booking message required
Require guests to read and respond to a message before they confirm their reservation.

Back