A full house and it is 2am and we find water leaking from our ceiling

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Yes! Water leaking from our ceiling. No, there is no tub above us. All 6 rooms are occupied. Dh has a ladder and is climbing into one part of the attic at 2am in the morning to check the pipes. What a mess!

215am and DH is upstairs waking up a room where the hot water tank is located to check it (it is in a closet in that bathroom). He thinks that is the problem! They are going to freak!!!

215am and DH is upstairs waking up a room where the hot water tank is located to check it (it is in a closet in that bathroom). He thinks that is the problem! They are going to freak!!!.
Here's some good thoughts that your guests are good natured!

Bummer.
We have a water issue, too, but it drips into the basement, where I have a bucket. It's also messing up the wall in one room, but it will have to wait until the contractor comes back. Of course this is my contractor's busy season...
=/
Kk.

Oh my that is a hard one. We have a tub that will leak and it goes into the front hall. The only time it leaks it if someone fills it too full and gets in. It is a small tub so most just use it as a shower but if they don't put the curtain in it leaks. I really try to put it in when after I clean and it is dry. I have not forgetten for a long time so no leakes for a while. Good luck.

215am and DH is upstairs waking up a room where the hot water tank is located to check it (it is in a closet in that bathroom). He thinks that is the problem! They are going to freak!!!.
That's a bummer. Good to have a spare box of chocolates around to make up for the inconvenience, if they're not too upset. We have had a leak in the past in one room - not lately since DH finally fixed it himself rather than having a contractor do it - and after hard steady rains had dripping in the bedroom. We had strategically placed a metal waste can there. Fortunately it never caused a guest problem.

I just made up a small note on a business card with her name "$30 off your next stay" Sorry for the emergency. My name.
Her son is attending our local college, so maybe she will use this to come back. UGH!
DH didn't go about it the best, big maglite in hand and baseball hat - looked like a killer or something when she opened the door. Told her about the leak but didn't say "I am DH the owner" I was surprised she let him in the room!

I just made up a small note on a business card with her name "$30 off your next stay" Sorry for the emergency. My name.
Her son is attending our local college, so maybe she will use this to come back. UGH!
DH didn't go about it the best, big maglite in hand and baseball hat - looked like a killer or something when she opened the door. Told her about the leak but didn't say "I am DH the owner" I was surprised she let him in the room!.
That works, too - we gave a weekday BOGO to a couple who had a cold shower - turned out one of our water heaters was failing and they discovered it. They came back a couple of months later and have become regular guests.

ah yes then there was the time i imagined I heard water running down the hallway steps .. oh no wait, I am not imagining it. Guests are in the jacuzzi tub, knock knock please get out of the tub and switch off the jets - seems like a pipe came apart under this monstrous tub I have and of course water did not stop running until it had cleared itself through the pipes. Lovely huge watermark on my hallway ceiling. Insurance paid less my very big deductible. Now I just have to plan when to CLOSE since the entire hallway has to be re-sheetrocked. Sigh.

DH didn't go about it the best, big maglite in hand and baseball hat - looked like a killer or something when she opened the door. Told her about the leak but didn't say "I am DH the owner" I was surprised she let him in the room!.
That works, too - we gave a weekday BOGO to a couple who had a cold shower - turned out one of our water heaters was failing and they discovered it. They came back a couple of months later and have become regular guests.
muirford said:
I nearly did a BOGO. They drove all day from Dayton OH to Radford Uni then to here. They were exhausted. Mother and son. So I hope this helps. And a nice breakfast and coffee.

ah yes then there was the time i imagined I heard water running down the hallway steps .. oh no wait, I am not imagining it. Guests are in the jacuzzi tub, knock knock please get out of the tub and switch off the jets - seems like a pipe came apart under this monstrous tub I have and of course water did not stop running until it had cleared itself through the pipes. Lovely huge watermark on my hallway ceiling. Insurance paid less my very big deductible. Now I just have to plan when to CLOSE since the entire hallway has to be re-sheetrocked. Sigh..
agoodman said:
ah yes then there was the time i imagined I heard water running down the hallway steps .. oh no wait, I am not imagining it. Guests are in the jacuzzi tub, knock knock please get out of the tub and switch off the jets - seems like a pipe came apart under this monstrous tub I have and of course water did not stop running until it had cleared itself through the pipes. Lovely huge watermark on my hallway ceiling. Insurance paid less my very big deductible. Now I just have to plan when to CLOSE since the entire hallway has to be re-sheetrocked. Sigh.
We think it is the pipe leading up to the water heater. The water heater is built-in behind a wall. To get it out we have to cut the wall, take out toilet, sink and tear up tile floor. IDIOT PO'S! Never thought we might have to replace the dang thing?!

must be a day for leaks..... water dripping in diningroom - guest up above showering. He says the curtain was inside the tub.... lord, I hope it's not a leaking pipe! We shall see... have guests coming in same room this afternoon... would hate to move them cuz they wanted the room with the clawfooted tub.

must be a day for leaks..... water dripping in diningroom - guest up above showering. He says the curtain was inside the tub.... lord, I hope it's not a leaking pipe! We shall see... have guests coming in same room this afternoon... would hate to move them cuz they wanted the room with the clawfooted tub..
greyswan said:
must be a day for leaks..... water dripping in diningroom - guest up above showering. He says the curtain was inside the tub.... lord, I hope it's not a leaking pipe! We shall see... have guests coming in same room this afternoon... would hate to move them cuz they wanted the room with the clawfooted tub.
She was pleased with the discoutn card for next time.
So we think it may be the shower head where it attaches to the wall - maybe the water is running down and behind the shower. We can't go in yet, but will today. I said the same thing "Was the shower curtain OUT? and it hit the tiles and leaked down (even tho these tiles are sealed) we have another room that is not, we better add that to the list for this winter.
Please explain to me people how you can have TWO shower curtains and BOTH end up outside a shower?

must be a day for leaks..... water dripping in diningroom - guest up above showering. He says the curtain was inside the tub.... lord, I hope it's not a leaking pipe! We shall see... have guests coming in same room this afternoon... would hate to move them cuz they wanted the room with the clawfooted tub..
greyswan said:
The joy of old houses. Hope you figure it out without a disaster.
sad_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
DH didn't go about it the best, big maglite in hand and baseball hat - looked like a killer or something when she opened the door. Told her about the leak but didn't say "I am DH the owner" I was surprised she let him in the room!
That's the engineer in him...total concentration on problem at hand, niceties be damned. It's a good thing when you have a problem that needs fixing, bad thing if there are people involved who need appeasing.

ah yes then there was the time i imagined I heard water running down the hallway steps .. oh no wait, I am not imagining it. Guests are in the jacuzzi tub, knock knock please get out of the tub and switch off the jets - seems like a pipe came apart under this monstrous tub I have and of course water did not stop running until it had cleared itself through the pipes. Lovely huge watermark on my hallway ceiling. Insurance paid less my very big deductible. Now I just have to plan when to CLOSE since the entire hallway has to be re-sheetrocked. Sigh..
agoodman said:
We think it is the pipe leading up to the water heater. The water heater is built-in behind a wall. To get it out we have to cut the wall, take out toilet, sink and tear up tile floor. IDIOT PO'S! Never thought we might have to replace the dang thing?!
When I read your story in the middle of last night, I figured the water tank had gone bad, and you've have to shut off the water supply until the tank could be replaced. I would hate to have to face a houseful of arising guests and explain to them that it would be a while before any water was available. Hopefully your solution is easier than that.
Hang in there!

I hope it is as simple as the shower head being the problem. We will lock Murphy up for you today!!!

I really messed up at the start of this season. I put an a/c in "wrong" and the next thing I know there is water dripping down into the dining room from the Cook's Room above it. Soon fixed, but the damage was done and now I'm looking at some replastering. I'm normally pretty good at the handyman stuff, but this was a disaster.

I really messed up at the start of this season. I put an a/c in "wrong" and the next thing I know there is water dripping down into the dining room from the Cook's Room above it. Soon fixed, but the damage was done and now I'm looking at some replastering. I'm normally pretty good at the handyman stuff, but this was a disaster..
The Tipsy Butler said:
I really messed up at the start of this season. I put an a/c in "wrong" and the next thing I know there is water dripping down into the dining room from the Cook's Room above it. Soon fixed, but the damage was done and now I'm looking at some replastering. I'm normally pretty good at the handyman stuff, but this was a disaster.
That's exactly why I hire a licensed plumber to put in our plumbing. "Do-it-yourself" always comes back to bite me in the butt. I have the scars to prove it.
omg_smile.gif

Back