A fun show

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
For some reason there are times when they are back to back, I hope everyone has had a chance to watch this show. It is geared at hotels primarily, but does show country inns and boutique hotels. Always family owned and operated, where he is trying to give them a leg up and find their issues (many times being as clear as the nose on his face).
Last night's Fiddler's Inn (which was an anomoly to me being directly across the street from the Grand Ol' Opry and having virtually no branding whatsoever... but as usual he went in and checked the bed first, flipping over the heavily patterned (camouflaged) bed spread to show "stains" of various bodily fluid types.
I had to laugh last night as there was an ad for a big sale on mattresses. I thought, gee they really know who watches this show don't they!
If you haven't seen it I hope you can. There is always some small tidbit to take away for all of us in the hospitality industry!
http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/hotel-impossible/
Short clips found on this page: http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/hotel-impossible/photos/hotel-impossible-dude-rancher-lodge-pictures
There is also a casting call if you dare:
[h4]
Is Your Hotel in Trouble? Do you own a hotel, motel, resort or inn that is struggling to make a profit? Or is it simply not living up to its potential? Email us.[/h4]

I am loving this show and DVRing each episode. It is gross how so many places still use those awful bedspreads.

Yep i have been dvr'ing and watching later. My husband has no desire to watch this stuff and this way I can fast forward through the same old crap each time....commercials etc. I just can't believe people like this are in business they do not have a CLUE!!!!

Yep i have been dvr'ing and watching later. My husband has no desire to watch this stuff and this way I can fast forward through the same old crap each time....commercials etc. I just can't believe people like this are in business they do not have a CLUE!!!!.
catlady said:
Yep i have been dvr'ing and watching later. My husband has no desire to watch this stuff and this way I can fast forward through the same old crap each time....commercials etc. I just can't believe people like this are in business they do not have a CLUE!!!!
Without being specific we see the same here. On this forum. (Not those who were tossed into innkeeping, like Lenora whose daughter dropped it in her lap (I wonder how she is doing now?) But those who pursue innkeeping, and yet do not take any classes, do any research, just jump in and muddle their way through it. It is pretty scary. I mention inspections and people tell me to rack off, but it is a health and safety issue, esp those who are clueless...watch the show and see how bad it can be. Or those who cut costs, which alot of it is, and take risks.
People trust a hotel/inn to be clean, to be up to par. And yet there are those who are open who have zero across the board standards, and give so many of us a bad name. That is why I am not so quick to defend innkeepers here/there when someone has a major issue and you find out they didn't know what they were doing in the first place, compassion yes, but they have to tow the line. Yeah I like that show, it is a sickness to watch it and how bad some places can be, like restaurant impossible where everything is dumped out of a can and/or not even held at proper temperature, and served from a filthy kitchen.

I'm a big fan of Restaurant Impossible (also a sickness to watch...haha!), but haven't been able to catch this show yet.
I did watch the clips you posted. People don't know what their website looks like? That's incredible to me! Branding all the signs the same...isn't that Marketing 101?
Like you said, a lot seems to be people trying to do things on the cheap and not keeping up with maintenance. Lots of people get complacent.
Amazing....

I'm a big fan of Restaurant Impossible (also a sickness to watch...haha!), but haven't been able to catch this show yet.
I did watch the clips you posted. People don't know what their website looks like? That's incredible to me! Branding all the signs the same...isn't that Marketing 101?
Like you said, a lot seems to be people trying to do things on the cheap and not keeping up with maintenance. Lots of people get complacent.
Amazing.....
Samster said:
Amazing....
There are people on this forum who fall into that category, I think it is just an ignore thing though, it may be too much effort to redo or rebrand their inn, so they have no branding at all. Some in incredible locations (like that Fiddler's inn who was going bust right across the street from the Grand Ol' Opry, can you even imagine!)

Amazing.....
Samster said:
Amazing....
There are people on this forum who fall into that category, I think it is just an ignore thing though, it may be too much effort to redo or rebrand their inn, so they have no branding at all. Some in incredible locations (like that Fiddler's inn who was going bust right across the street from the Grand Ol' Opry, can you even imagine!)
There are a bunch of episodes of HI coming on the Travel Channel in about a half hour....
No DVR here. This may not be good!
wink_smile.gif

I am loving this show and DVRing each episode. It is gross how so many places still use those awful bedspreads..
Went to a hotel in the lakedistrict once and the patterened bedspread had coffee rings on it! bleaugh. Shortly after they were bought out and have done a majour refurb and invited us back as previous customers on a super low charge so we figured we would give it a whirl - they had done an amazing job and we have been there 3 times after that so it was worth them sending out letters. its why we have plane satin stripe duvet covers in white - as a customer you know they are fresh on for your stay and clean - with a pattern? who knows

Watched a couple of episodes last night and they were interesting. Common sense is not that common. I think Robert Irvine makes RI addictive for me - he always does a couple of new dishes for failing restaurants. I didn't really click with the host of this show....

Watched a couple of episodes last night and they were interesting. Common sense is not that common. I think Robert Irvine makes RI addictive for me - he always does a couple of new dishes for failing restaurants. I didn't really click with the host of this show.....
Samster said:
I didn't really click with the host of this show....
He's certainly not lovable, but he makes many good points about service and what guests want and expect and appreciate. I watch the show not because I love it, but because it helps me.

Watched a couple of episodes last night and they were interesting. Common sense is not that common. I think Robert Irvine makes RI addictive for me - he always does a couple of new dishes for failing restaurants. I didn't really click with the host of this show.....
Samster said:
I didn't really click with the host of this show....
He's certainly not lovable, but he makes many good points about service and what guests want and expect and appreciate. I watch the show not because I love it, but because it helps me.
Oh, I agree...he knows the hotel biz and has super advice.

Most of the hosts of these types of programs are not meant to be lovable. They are there to put fear into these people.

The host of HI is snooty. And unrealistic. Anyone who has spent years in hospitality should not be or act shocked by what he cringes at. Yes, run dwon places have bugs, don't act like you weren't expecting it. Don't get all squeamish. I think the show would be better if he were more matter of fact and said, 'Well, that needs fixing,' instead of 'Did you see that? How could you rent this room???'
It's obvious they should not be renting those rooms!

Samster,
Thanks for you comments on the show. I wrote the show to ensure that people that can't afford or don't have access to the big chains, understand what is important in our industry.
The industry is built on owners of small inns. Sorry you don't click with me, but glad you think I have some good things to say. Give me a chance, I am just as lovable as Robert. Don't tell anyone, but we may do a show together. :)

Samster,
Thanks for you comments on the show. I wrote the show to ensure that people that can't afford or don't have access to the big chains, understand what is important in our industry.
The industry is built on owners of small inns. Sorry you don't click with me, but glad you think I have some good things to say. Give me a chance, I am just as lovable as Robert. Don't tell anyone, but we may do a show together. :)
WOW! Thanks for stopping in. I love the show.
These people need a good dose of realism and that is what you give to them. I don't see how you can keep from screaming at them. I would be livid if I saw what you see. Come on people..get real! You have to be tough...not loveable or even likeable...but they usually do really love you in the end...:)
You need to do a few more inns and B & B's....there are lots out there I am sure we could point you to some
embaressed_smile.gif

The host of HI is snooty. And unrealistic. Anyone who has spent years in hospitality should not be or act shocked by what he cringes at. Yes, run dwon places have bugs, don't act like you weren't expecting it. Don't get all squeamish. I think the show would be better if he were more matter of fact and said, 'Well, that needs fixing,' instead of 'Did you see that? How could you rent this room???'
It's obvious they should not be renting those rooms!
Come on, I ain't snooty. I am lovable, just give me a chance. :) My job is to help people that are asking for my help, I sometimes have to say things they don't want to hear. My heart is in it. The crew is there to make a T.V. show, I am there to turn around the business. Thanks for you comments though. Yes, it is obvious they shouldn't rent the rooms, but it is obvious that you should text and drive and people still do it!

Samster,
WOW! Thanks for stopping in. I love the show.
These people need a good dose of realism and that is what you give to them. I don't see how you can keep from screaming at them. I would be livid if I saw what you see. Come on people..get real! You have to be tough...not loveable or even likeable...but they usually do really love you in the end...:)
You need to do a few more inns and B & B's....there are lots out there I am sure we could point you to some
embaressed_smile.gif

My pleasure. Let me know if anyone would like to be considered for the show on season 2, we are casting now.

Back