A funny first question...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I answer the phone and the first question is "Do you have a bar within walking distance?"
There is a delay before I answer. He then says "It's not like we're drunks or anything...we just like a drink in the evening or maybe a beer."
Well actually we do have a fully licensed bar within walking distance, I made sure to tell him it is not open on Sundays, but I had never been asked that first off! He then told me (calling from Texas) that he had called all the other places and so he figured he would cut to the chase and ask his questions first before the innkeeper asked theirs. Okay so now I kinda think he is aw-right. Just a funny first question.

We've had at least one booking because of our location... walking distance to the wings place with the bar and the game.
=)
Kk.

I had that one- kid screaming in the background, guy on the phone is driving while calling and wants to know if WE have a bar? No? Where's the closest one?
Then the guests who wanted a cab company to take them boozing.

While we have never had that question...it is one I take into consideration when I am booking, and I always ask. We DO like to "go boozing", or rather, have cocktails or a beer when on vacation, and even once a week or so when we're not. I will not drive even after one glass of wine. I have had guests who hang around the inn and drink to excess on occasion, and I would rather have then do it somewhere else. Be happy that they are considering drinking elsewhere. But first question? Well, at least you don't have to waste the time talking to them about all the other stuff if that is their priority and you can't accommodate, eh?

While we have never had that question...it is one I take into consideration when I am booking, and I always ask. We DO like to "go boozing", or rather, have cocktails or a beer when on vacation, and even once a week or so when we're not. I will not drive even after one glass of wine. I have had guests who hang around the inn and drink to excess on occasion, and I would rather have then do it somewhere else. Be happy that they are considering drinking elsewhere. But first question? Well, at least you don't have to waste the time talking to them about all the other stuff if that is their priority and you can't accommodate, eh?.
This is one of the trickiest and hardest tightropes we all walk.
We've had our share of heavy drinkers, but only a few have disrupted our other guest's enjoyment of their stay. In fact, in five years, only three or four really stand out, but they were pretty bad in terms of the impact on other guests.
One involved an early morning domestic abuse situation that woke the entire house and was moments from the police being called. In hindsight, this man who I cannot believe is now a local DA, deserved to have his career potentially derailed with that on his record for the shiner he gave that girl.
Another involved a guest challenging me to a fight by me simply asking him to use the provided bucket meant to haul firewood to his room and to only stockpile one bucket full at a time. Each day, this guy had piled four or five buckets worth of dirty, sawdust covered on the floor of the room and kept getting more, so he could have a huge blazing fire while he and his drunk, chain smoking wife could leave the patio door open in the dead of winter, sit just inside the doorway and in their soused minds, NOT be technically smoking in the room.
We were way too diplomatic with them because we were just starting out and playing the "fear the bad review on TA" game with ourselves.
Another was the recent two who after two bttles of wine, carried the firewood from their guest room fireplace and lit a fire in the reception room fireplace that normally has its flue closed when not in use to keep the radiant heat of the house itself from going straight up the chimney. Another guest here at the time had a house fire just six months prior and completely came unglued in panic.
In all these cases, when taking their reservations, etc. these guests sounded and once here, initially acted like any other good guest. Talk about Jekyl and Hydes.
I don't know how much is too much for most people but the "fighter" and his wife polished off three full 750 ml bottles of hard spirits, a bottle of wine and about a 12-pack of beer during a three night stay here.
My fragile and forever weakened liver is still wincing from that one and I didn't get any of it. LOL
As a former heavy drinker, I probably should be less sensitive about it then I am, but we're working real hard at offering a place for enjoyment, relaxation and serenity, not some binge house or away from home "let's relive our college days and have a frat party"
The bottom lines for us are safety, respect for the other guests and the general tone of things we've created.
These are in our "general policy notes on our availability calendar.
"We love animals of all kinds, but we don't accept pets or party animals."
"Under New Mexico Law, we are not allowed to serve alcoholic beverages. Guests may bring their own, but for the safety and comfort of all of our guests, please drink responsibly and in moderation only. Disruptive behavior or visible inebriation that negatively impacts other guests or your hosts is not acceptable."
We've tried to use a little humor thinking the insanely disrespectful would get scared away by this kind of language, but it almost eggs them on.
I guess everybody likes a good challenge from time to time.

While we have never had that question...it is one I take into consideration when I am booking, and I always ask. We DO like to "go boozing", or rather, have cocktails or a beer when on vacation, and even once a week or so when we're not. I will not drive even after one glass of wine. I have had guests who hang around the inn and drink to excess on occasion, and I would rather have then do it somewhere else. Be happy that they are considering drinking elsewhere. But first question? Well, at least you don't have to waste the time talking to them about all the other stuff if that is their priority and you can't accommodate, eh?.
We've had our share of heavy drinkers, but only a few have disrupted our other guest's enjoyment of their stay. In fact, in five years, only three or four really stand out, but they were pretty bad in terms of the impact on other guests.
One involved an early morning domestic abuse situation that woke the entire house and was moments from the police being called. In hindsight, this man who I cannot believe is now a local DA, deserved to have his career potentially derailed with that on his record for the shiner he gave that girl.
Another involved a guest challenging me to a fight by me simply asking him to use the provided bucket meant to haul firewood to his room and to only stockpile one bucket full at a time. Each day, this guy had piled four or five buckets worth of dirty, sawdust covered on the floor of the room and kept getting more, so he could have a huge blazing fire while he and his drunk, chain smoking wife could leave the patio door open in the dead of winter, sit just inside the doorway and in their soused minds, NOT be technically smoking in the room.
We were way too diplomatic with them because we were just starting out and playing the "fear the bad review on TA" game with ourselves.
Another was the recent two who after two bttles of wine, carried the firewood from their guest room fireplace and lit a fire in the reception room fireplace that normally has its flue closed when not in use to keep the radiant heat of the house itself from going straight up the chimney. Another guest here at the time had a house fire just six months prior and completely came unglued in panic.
In all these cases, when taking their reservations, etc. these guests sounded and once here, initially acted like any other good guest. Talk about Jekyl and Hydes.
I don't know how much is too much for most people but the "fighter" and his wife polished off three full 750 ml bottles of hard spirits, a bottle of wine and about a 12-pack of beer during a three night stay here.
My fragile and forever weakened liver is still wincing from that one and I didn't get any of it. LOL
As a former heavy drinker, I probably should be less sensitive about it then I am, but we're working real hard at offering a place for enjoyment, relaxation and serenity, not some binge house or away from home "let's relive our college days and have a frat party"
The bottom lines for us are safety, respect for the other guests and the general tone of things we've created.
"Under New Mexico Law, we are not allowed to serve alcoholic beverages. Guests may bring their own, but for the safety and comfort of all of our guests, please drink responsibly and in moderation only. Disruptive behavior or visible inebriation that negatively impacts other guests or your hosts is not acceptable."
We've tried to use a little humor thinking the insanely disrespectful would get scared away by this kind of language, but it almost eggs them on.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I think this is true for a segment of the population, my son being one of them. When told there would be consequences for his poor behavior choices he always wanted to know what they were and then he'd decide if what he wanted to do was worth the price. Although I understand the idea behind posting fees for smoking in rooms, I think that basically allows smokers the option to choose to pay the fee so they can smoke in their rooms.
I understand what you go thru with the fireplaces. Altho we don't have wood-burning fireplaces, a near neighbor of mine does. And when someone smokes the chimney, I know before they do because it blows right into my house.

He punched her in the face and you didn't call the police?

We didn't witness the event firsthand and don't know how her injury was sustained. Just saw her face as she jumped in their car.
The minute they saw us coming in our pajamas after being alerted by another guest, they had already packed up their stuff and jumped in their car before anything else could be done.

We didn't witness the event firsthand and don't know how her injury was sustained. Just saw her face as she jumped in their car.
The minute they saw us coming in our pajamas after being alerted by another guest, they had already packed up their stuff and jumped in their car before anything else could be done.
What a &^$#*^@&.
Yuck for you guys, Tim. Were they locals?

What a &^$#*^@&.
From down by you.
We stand by the decision to offer one nighters and have a very loyal following of folks from down there who get a babysitter and just want a night of peace and quiet or to celebrate an anniversary, etc. but this one caught us totally off guard. We also have a good following of opera goers who really appreciate NOT having to stay a whole weekend or multiple nights in order to see one opera.
What also bothered me though was that the other guests who heard the ruckus, didn't come get and us as per policy and tried to play hero himself.
Might have ended the argument a few minutes quicker but also put himself at risk, and we ended up comping that night of his and the other affected guests stays to make amends for the inconvenience and duress.

What a &^$#*^@&.
From down by you.
We stand by the decision to offer one nighters and have a very loyal following of folks from down there who get a babysitter and just want a night of peace and quiet or to celebrate an anniversary, etc. but this one caught us totally off guard. We also have a good following of opera goers who really appreciate NOT having to stay a whole weekend or multiple nights in order to see one opera.
What also bothered me though was that the other guests who heard the ruckus, didn't come get and us as per policy and tried to play hero himself.
Might have ended the argument a few minutes quicker but also put himself at risk, and we ended up comping that night of his and the other affected guests stays to make amends for the inconvenience and duress.
Exactly what we do when guests are too loud.
Anyone else? What's your policy, folks?

What a &^$#*^@&.
From down by you.
adobenido said:
The policy for which? Guests who beat their partners, guests who are too loud or guests who don't contact us when we're needed? Or, what do we do if guests are disturbed by the activities of other guests?

What a &^$#*^@&.
From down by you.
So far we have not had any abusive guests and our only loud guests (oh, oh) were the only ones in-house so who cared.

We had one inebriated couple here for a graduation. They were outside arguing in slur and sounds rise. My S.O. went out and addressed this issue and they were embarrassed by it and went inside and went to bed. Fortunately that was the situation, they were not screaming vulgarities or anything but the tone was getting worse and worse. I had the phone ready to call the cops should I need to, but they simmered down right away.

We threatened to create a site like that in this group but looks like someone has already beaten us to it. Did you know that there are porn sites listed on there?

We threatened to create a site like that in this group but looks like someone has already beaten us to it. Did you know that there are porn sites listed on there?.
Yes, 30 seconds into not getting anywhere with the navigation I realized how old the site was, and how it had been corrupted by others.
Or maybe not by others. Even frustrated hoteliers need an outlet.
Seems lile the work of one person and not much effort after the initial idea and homepage. Or maybe TA's legal department found it and put the hammer down.

What a &^$#*^@&.
From down by you.
adobenido said:
The policy for which? Guests who beat their partners, guests who are too loud or guests who don't contact us when we're needed? Or, what do we do if guests are disturbed by the activities of other guests?
Bree...when guests are too loud. Sorry I wasn't clear.

We had a husband and wife check-in our very first summer here. SHE was clearly not happy to be here in the slightest...HE was very conciliatory about her bad behavior towards us (just general condescension, nothing was "right", she needed extra pillows, towels, shampoo, etc. and didn't ask for any of it in a nice way).
10 pm that first night they were here, SHE calls the Inn completely drunk...slurring, and telling me I need to come downtown and get her because she got into an argument with her husband and he drove away and left her in one of the restaurants down there. I told her we were actually off-site, I had answered by mobile phone, and sorry I wouldn't be able to help. I suggested she call her husband's cell phone number, which is what she ended up doing after she swallowed her pride.
They snuck out the next morning a day early, without eating breakfast.
teeth_smile.gif

What a &^$#*^@&.
From down by you.
adobenido said:
Bree...when guests are too loud. Sorry I wasn't clear.
If we hear them, we'll both go to the room, hubs to talk to them (because he's the diplomatic one) and me with the phone to call the police if diplomacy fails. Good advice I got early on was to always wear shoes when you're going to 'confront' a guest. You look more official in shoes and it hurts more if you kick the guest.
We've never had guests complain about other guests to us when it would do any good. We did have one woman who chose to handle a situation herself and almost caused an international incident. Had she gotten us, we would have handled it and hopefully not caused the embarrassment she did to our Japanese guests. The Japanese guests apologized continuously for the remainder of their stay and the other guest, a long time repeat, never returned.
The Japanese were in the room above her (which had a squeaky floor, since fixed) and the elderly grandmother was pacing. Guest in room beneath said it sounded like a party and she went to break it up instead of getting us. The grandmother was ill, which was very obvious when she opened the door and the other guest was then mortified. All in all it would have been better had she approached us so we could handle it.
However the long time guest blamed us for not telling her the grandmother was sick. Um, how was I supposed to know that? Grandma wasn't even in her own room, she was in her daughter's room at that point so her daughter could care for her.

Back