A Ghost in the Library

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
last week, four women, each in separate rooms ... one kept asking what guest was walking around in the middle of the nite and who is staying on the third floor ... no guest on third floor ... all deny visiting the third floor in the middle of the nite.
i go up to the third floor and check for visitors, and hide mouse bait just in case (ick)
as they check out, two tell me they saw something in the library and do we have a ghost? one of the women with them gets upset and doesn't want to talk about anything like that. but this gets other guests going .... and has me worrying i have an animal in the walls.
well, all guests leave and i'm cleaning rooms and stop for a rest and what do you think? i hear what sounds for all the world like footsteps upstairs on the third floor. so, up i go (as in 'don't go in the basement') calling 'hello?' thinking maybe a guest has come back but i find no one. up to the attic and into the cupola. no one.
shrug it off and get back to business cleaning on the second floor, bring down the laundry and as i pass the library i glance in to be sure there isn't trash to be thrown out and see a shadow cross the room. THE SHADOW the women i saw i guess. i can't figure where it comes from but ... i guess we have a ghost in the house. and a practical joker of a ghost at that.

If I could figure a way to put in that "spooky" sound here I would. SPPPPPOOOOOOKYYYY!!!

I have to say it like i always do, GHOSTS FLOAT right? They don't ahve bodies, they are spirits? Why do people hear movement and heavy footfalls and think they are ghosts? I would be more worried about a HUMAN BEING in the house.
Would be nice to be told about birds and animals in the house wouldn't it. We had the squirrels in the attic (hey no jokes) and the birds nesting in the eaves. BIRDS are notoriousely loud B&B guests!
Had the mouse in the kichen with me up on the table screeching and the guests in the dining room...
Had the raccoon in the basement chew through the vapor barrier, the opposum mom drop her babies off her back into the pond, the deer in the yard, the bear walk down the street to the hospital, the "big ol' cat" prowling the park across the street at night (Bobcat - the old fella over there sprinkled flour outside his house and got the prints - smart man!) the stray cats, the lost kittens, oh the cat who slept in the guest room on their wedding night - who went up the outside stairs underneat her netting on her wedding gown, and ended up spending the night with her! The flying squirrel that was under this sofa in here - now that was exciting! I am sure there have been more...well of course "the smell" that happened three times. Dead something, once was a dead mouse who was running along the pipes and slipped and hung himself, another was trapped in our walls and we had to cut out the plaster to finally get to it. The mouse in the cottage eating all the chocolates and the guest who didn't even care - after I was stressed that it would run across her in bed! The loud crash outside that was a squirrel on the pecan tree who slipped, hit the metal roof and slid down to the brick path.
All this in under 5 years and we are IN TOWN!

The best line I've heard from another innkeeper when asked if there are ghosts in the inn.... "would you like for there to be ghosts here?"

The best line I've heard from another innkeeper when asked if there are ghosts in the inn.... "would you like for there to be ghosts here?".
greyswan said:
The best line I've heard from another innkeeper when asked if there are ghosts in the inn.... "would you like for there to be ghosts here?"
I like that one! I had guests tell me of another inn they left in the night because it was UNATTENDED by innkeepers, they were the only ones there and it freaked them out. They heard chains rattling and the whole scenario. The fled!
I have a line when someone asks me that "No, but we have dead people buried out back" Which we do, an historical cemetary. That is also one of those, more than half the guests love it, they go back and try to locate people (like orig owners of this house) and read the old old stones. A couple FREAK OUT. A couple act as if it is a death wish if they walk past it.
Hey QUIET NEIGHBORS! that is all I can say. Once the most beautiful music was coming from the cemetary, it sounded like angels signing. It was a church group singing at the graveside service, old hymns, accapella and it brought tears to my eyes! What a send off!
Edited to add: Just now got a county magazine that has featured ghost tours - you go and see some famous ghosts here (portrayed by actors frm our local college)

ooooo, neat-o!
ghostsmiley.gif

My brother has been the site manager at Eastern State Penitentary, in Philly for a long time (he even wrote a book about it), which is supposedly one of the most haunted places in the world. It's been on Ghost Hunters and every other parnormal tv show, and he's constantly being interviewed about the 'spooky' instead of the historic apsect of the site. He has a pretty good answer. He always takes the tact that he is there day in and day out, sometime all through the night, sometimes alone, and has been for years and he's never seen anything. It's a good angle to bring living vistors though.
www.easternstate.org/

I think that's fabulous.
We have a pretty well documented ghost here and while many people know about her I don't make a thing of it because it really scares some people. I learnt my lesson when I told my father and my super-sensible, adored step-mother. She was petrified, started crying and wouldn't go back to her room alone. None of us, including Dad, knew she would react like that and I felt absolutely horrible. I will never, ever forget that and yet again learnt another lesson in making assumptions.
sad_smile.gif

Yell up the stairs, "Hey, while you're up there, strip the beds and check the trash!"
He'll be gone for sure.
=)
Kk.

Yell up the stairs, "Hey, while you're up there, strip the beds and check the trash!"
He'll be gone for sure.
=)
Kk..
good one! 'hey you up there, get to work!' too bad i've closed off the third floor to guests for the year.
ghost stories are fun and can be marketable, but then there are those who are terrified as you say and so won't book.

The best line I've heard from another innkeeper when asked if there are ghosts in the inn.... "would you like for there to be ghosts here?".
greyswan said:
I like that one! I had guests tell me of another inn they left in the night because it was UNATTENDED by innkeepers, they were the only ones there and it freaked them out. They heard chains rattling and the whole scenario. The fled!
I have a line when someone asks me that "No, but we have dead people buried out back" Which we do, an historical cemetary. That is also one of those, more than half the guests love it, they go back and try to locate people (like orig owners of this house) and read the old old stones. A couple FREAK OUT. A couple act as if it is a death wish if they walk past it.
Hey QUIET NEIGHBORS! that is all I can say. Once the most beautiful music was coming from the cemetary, it sounded like angels signing. It was a church group singing at the graveside service, old hymns, accapella and it brought tears to my eyes! What a send off!
Edited to add: Just now got a county magazine that has featured ghost tours - you go and see some famous ghosts here (portrayed by actors frm our local college)
If anyone were to have ghosts
ghostsmiley.gif
, it should be you!
whattha.gif

He'll be gone for sure.
=)
Kk..
good one! 'hey you up there, get to work!' too bad i've closed off the third floor to guests for the year.
ghost stories are fun and can be marketable, but then there are those who are terrified as you say and so won't book.
Speaking of which, sort of, can you send me some more brochures? I'm all out and I was looking for one for that couple who wanted 'le view'.

Hey, you know, you might be able to use this ghost thing to your advantage with PITAs, when you get them, do ghostly things to freak them out and make them leave...
devil_smile.gif
Dress up like Elvira, that might work too, especially for you Swirt!

Hey, you know, you might be able to use this ghost thing to your advantage with PITAs, when you get them, do ghostly things to freak them out and make them leave...
devil_smile.gif
Dress up like Elvira, that might work too, especially for you Swirt!.
inncogneeto said:
devil_smile.gif
OK, this is more of a mental picture than I wanted...Swirt as Elvira? Shades of a creepily sexy Bates Motel...

devil_smile.gif
Dress up like Elvira, that might work too, especially for you Swirt!.
inncogneeto said:
devil_smile.gif
OK, this is more of a mental picture than I wanted...Swirt as Elvira? Shades of a creepily sexy Bates Motel...
Yes, but he really hates pitas, so it could work really well for him!

i am worried that it's a BAT! or a bat family. don't they cast shadows, and then nothing? do they make noise if building a house? oh gross! i can't think about it. give me captain gregg any day! but not bats!!! i've never had one in the house before.
it must be a ghost.
ghostsmiley.gif

i am worried that it's a BAT! or a bat family. don't they cast shadows, and then nothing? do they make noise if building a house? oh gross! i can't think about it. give me captain gregg any day! but not bats!!! i've never had one in the house before.
it must be a ghost.
ghostsmiley.gif
seashanty said:
it must be a ghost.
ghostsmiley.gif
Bats aren't that bad... they're kind of cute up close. And, sorry, it probably is a more reasonable explanation of thumps and bumps.
We've had them in both our house here and the one in Maryland. The one here was tough because I didn't know where he was... left the door open and went to bed and the next night he was back. Finally found him behind some drapes and got him out, poor guy. The bird down the chimney was much worse... had to clean the carpet afterward from the soot.
=)
Kk.

Back