A heartbreaking email that every small business owner should read

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We hit that spot a couple of years ago. We thought we were going to be the ones who closed this business after 20 years of its being open. It's a scary place to be.

Every point is so good and valid. The one that should speaks loudly to innkeepers should be:
"When you allow an amateur looking website / blog to make you look bad, it hurts your business a little."
and then you have the answer (which is why I love this blogger):
"When you invest in a professional looking website or blog, which reinforces the promises you make in your marketing, your business gets a little stronger."
From JB: "Why is the STOREFRONT to your business the last thing to invest in?" This should be the first, not the neglected part of your business.
and every other point is great in this article!!

Excellent article JB!
"If you want a business to succeed in the medium and long term, you need to avoid making decisions based on the short term.
Short term thinking means you see money going out of the business as a bad thing, so you avoid it."
I know it hurts, but if your business is down, that's when it's most important to invest in more marketing, or a consultant, or a new website, etc.
"Short term thinking also leads us to look for short term answers. That’s why every scammy, bullshit filled webinar, ebook, software product and seminar – promises fast results or secret formulas to get rich quick. We have to be smarter than that."
Isn't this the truth?!

Its why I fight to invest in our business as fast as I can every little investment adds - where we can do things that take us out of commission for only say a day or a room for a day etc it all makes a difference
ie putting in wi-fi everywhere didn't disrupt anything - things like that have to be cracked on with,
Its why we have pushed to get our frontage really good looking as it makes a difference to returning visitors ie to get from most of the B&B's in our town to the town centre or the main restaurant area you have to walk past us - now keep finding people reading our outside notice board (pictures & room descriptions) and keep finding my business card dispenser empty - when we were repainting the fence people kept stopping to speak to us and saying it looked really good.
We are hoping to get through planning permission soon and then we can redevelop the back starting Jan 23rd! its the only thing that is letting us down at the moment! fingers crossed everyone!

Back