A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny! Keep us posted on this one! (we may all be in the old geezer's place someday)
Please don't tell me they're from Arkansas..
He made it! Used to be a truck driver, he told me this a.m. and he just wrote down what DH told him. Was here in less than 10 minutes from the time he called.
Mtatoc said:
He made it! Used to be a truck driver, he told me this a.m. and he just wrote down what DH told him. Was here in less than 10 minutes from the time he called.
Oh yeah! So they ended up being good to go, I like that. Unfortunately for us, we don't know he is a truck driver, and what we have are people driving 2 hours to go 10 miles...doh!
I think a blog needs to be written about truck drivers. Common sense. The things you CAN'T DO if you are hauling tractor trailers...you might drive a bit differently then thinking you are invinsible, driving down dark gravel roads into the woods in the wee hours! haha
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
I think a blog needs to be written about truck drivers. Common sense. The things you CAN'T DO if you are hauling tractor trailers...
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
I think a blog needs to be written about truck drivers. Common sense. The things you CAN'T DO if you are hauling tractor trailers...
MAP READING
P, this is the funny part, 95% of our guests don't even have a map with them. It is a peeve of mine, how can you travel across country with no road atlas? WHAT THE!
whattha.gif

It boggles the mind, it does.
I am teaching the kids to read maps, draw maps, understand maps- I don't care if they like it or not. If their precious GPS doesn't work or has a malfunction, at least my kids will be able to look at a map and know North from West
shades_smile.gif

I can't tell you how frustrated I get about this.... grrrrrr
Penelope said:
I am teaching the kids to read maps, draw maps, understand maps- I don't care if they like it or not. If their precious GPS doesn't work or has a malfunction, at least my kids will be able to look at a map and know North from West
shades_smile.gif

Map reading/toting IMVHO is like tying your shoes, you should never leave home without them secured and in your posession. I actually home schooled my oldest DD all through middle school because in 6th grade she couldn't find France of Oklahoma for that matter. Not the only reason, but it was the straw so to speak. It was a great experience and she is now in grad school with 2 bachelor degrees under her belt. Because of this my middle one also a DD could read when she started kindergarten.
GPS systems go out of range, some back roads are not shown. MAPS! Never leave home without one, and learn how to fold one when you are done if it isn't an atlas type. Maps are worth their wieght in gold when you are in a rural area at night.
That is why I give guests a Gazetteer when they go on one of my routings. If they decide to go exploring, the Gazetteer shows every back road. I show them how to use it before they leave. Many have told me how much they liked having it.

Funny! Keep us posted on this one! (we may all be in the old geezer's place someday)
Mtatoc said:
Oh yeah! So they ended up being good to go, I like that. Unfortunately for us, we don't know he is a truck driver, and what we have are people driving 2 hours to go 10 miles...doh!
I think a blog needs to be written about truck drivers. Common sense. The things you CAN'T DO if you are hauling tractor trailers...you might drive a bit differently then thinking you are invinsible, driving down dark gravel roads into the woods in the wee hours! haha
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
P, this is the funny part, 95% of our guests don't even have a map with them. It is a peeve of mine, how can you travel across country with no road atlas? WHAT THE!
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Map reading/toting IMVHO is like tying your shoes, you should never leave home without them secured and in your posession. I actually home schooled my oldest DD all through middle school because in 6th grade she couldn't find France of Oklahoma for that matter. Not the only reason, but it was the straw so to speak. It was a great experience and she is now in grad school with 2 bachelor degrees under her belt. Because of this my middle one also a DD could read when she started kindergarten.
GPS systems go out of range, some back roads are not shown. MAPS! Never leave home without one, and learn how to fold one when you are done if it isn't an atlas type. Maps are worth their wieght in gold when you are in a rural area at night.
We are in year 6 of homeschooling- love it.
Map reading is not optional in this family :)

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Map reading should not be optional in school either!

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
I really don't want to do this, my fingers are typing...they won't stop.
Handwriting is optional. Yep optional. We homeschooled our daughters until buying this B&B. When they arrived at school they had the most beautiful handwriting, and no other children had been taught cursive, nor were they going to be.
Maps were something we studied and I still feel is important. As you can tell, as I go on my little rampage rants about it probably every week here. I get it, just like being bad at math, being bad at reading maths, I totally understand. But you still need to use them!

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Handwriting is optional. Yep optional. We homeschooled our daughters until buying this B&B. When they arrived at school they had the most beautiful handwriting, and no other children had been taught cursive, nor were they going to be.
Maps were something we studied and I still feel is important. As you can tell, as I go on my little rampage rants about it probably every week here. I get it, just like being bad at math, being bad at reading maths, I totally understand. But you still need to use them!
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Handwriting might be optional in school, as it is here, but it shouldn't BE! I guess the powers that be figure no one will ever sit down to write a letter, all they have to do is sign their name, email, or text. Gone are the days when a young person longed for the mail to hear from a sweetheart. Now they just S kype. I have used it, I email, I text, but when it is important there is nothing like a hand written letter.
OK I am done now, I feel better just typing that, but I will probably write about it later to satisfy my need to use pen and paper to record my thoughts.

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Handwriting might be optional in school, as it is here, but it shouldn't BE! I guess the powers that be figure no one will ever sit down to write a letter, all they have to do is sign their name, email, or text. Gone are the days when a young person longed for the mail to hear from a sweetheart. Now they just S kype. I have used it, I email, I text, but when it is important there is nothing like a hand written letter.
OK I am done now, I feel better just typing that, but I will probably write about it later to satisfy my need to use pen and paper to record my thoughts.
And we're now admonished not to write paragraphs because of too much eye strain when writing a paragraph to be read on a monitor. I spent too many years writing to give up on paragraph structure now!

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
And we're now admonished not to write paragraphs because of too much eye strain when writing a paragraph to be read on a monitor. I spent too many years writing to give up on paragraph structure now!
Innkeep said:
The best way to avoid eye strain in making paragraphs is to be sure they don't spread completely across the screen. No one reads like that! Newspapers do columns, books are not that wide. Everyone should make sure their website is structured so the text is 'contained' and doesn't wander all over the place.

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
The best way to avoid eye strain in making paragraphs is to be sure they don't spread completely across the screen. No one reads like that! Newspapers do columns, books are not that wide. Everyone should make sure their website is structured so the text is 'contained' and doesn't wander all over the place.
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
This thread has been officially hijacked and is now headed to Havana.
poke.gif

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif
Well, then, it's going there without most of us. Maybe 5% of us can legally go to Havana.

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
or of course just give us the gist!
  • short
  • sweet
  • to the point
  • concise
  • over
  • in a bullet format
Websites, blogs, online comments and feedback are totally different to the writing of a story. Gone is the indentation with the typewriter. Gone is the keep the whole thought together in the same paragraph. We now read in bytes. We love subtitles and captions. We love photos and graphs and visual entertainment. and yet a photograph is still worth a thousand words...like this one :) :
535791_3681115474135_1462524448_33181246_1304272405_n.jpg

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif
Well, then, it's going there without most of us. Maybe 5% of us can legally go to Havana.
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif
Who wants to go to Havana, I want to see all of this country up close and personal before I leave. But I will
  • take a map with me
  • write in 'Bytes" if I post it online, otherwise you will get paragraphs
  • when I send a post card it will have a pretty picture
  • my handwritiing will be neat - because I went to school where that was important
  • I will say please and thank you to those I meet along with way
  • And I will always call the innkeeper if I am going to be late

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
  • short
  • sweet
  • to the point
  • concise
  • over
  • in a bullet format
Websites, blogs, online comments and feedback are totally different to the writing of a story. Gone is the indentation with the typewriter. Gone is the keep the whole thought together in the same paragraph. We now read in bytes. We love subtitles and captions. We love photos and graphs and visual entertainment. and yet a photograph is still worth a thousand words...like this one :) :

Ohhhhhhhhh....I wish I was THERE!
regular_smile.gif
Lovely...did you take that one, JB?

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif
Who wants to go to Havana, I want to see all of this country up close and personal before I leave. But I will
  • take a map with me
  • my handwritiing will be neat - because I went to school where that was important
Weaver said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif
  • take a map with me
Amen. Don't forget your camera!

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif
  • take a map with me
Weaver said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif
  • take a map with me
Innkeep said:
Weaver said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif
  • take a map with me
SILLY ME!!!!!
Camera. Digital of course! But then again we could always start a new trend and go back to real pictures.
And 8mm movies

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
  • short
  • sweet
  • to the point
  • concise
  • over
  • in a bullet format

She didn't want to give up paragraphs.
Mournful epitaph, isn't it? She didn't want to give up paragraphs.

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif
  • take a map with me
Me. I want to go to Havana. I suppose I could go to Miami instead, but Havana beckons.

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif

Necessitiamos hablar en espanol?

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif

white pine said:
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]No. Es[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]necesario atenerse[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]al tema[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]de la rosca.[/COLOR]

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif

white pine said:
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]No. Es[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]necesario atenerse[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]al tema[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]de la rosca.[/COLOR]
Proud Texan said:
white pine said:
Es imposible.

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Penelope said:
Innkeep said:
Madeleine said:
Innkeep said:
poke.gif

white pine said:
Proud Texan said:
white pine said:
Es imposible.
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
white pine said:
Es imposible.
It's just so aggravating to follow up on a post response to see that it has absolutely no relevance to the original subject. I don't like to waste time and I especially don't like it when others waste my time.

Back