A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
That should actually be a "A journey of a thousand miles begins with knowing your destination." We have a booking for tonight for an older honeymoon couple. I just got a call wherein the groom said, "I went off and left them papers. Do I need them?" I guessed that he meant his confirmation. I recognized the name and told him that he didn't need them. I then asked if he at least had the directions..."No. What's the name of your place?"
Really?
Should I just keep the money or talk him in as he approaches town? WWJBD (What would Joey Blogs Do?)

At least he had the phone number! A regular summer occurence here is the ringing of the doorbell by someone who has no idea where they are supposed to be staying. No confirmation. Nothing. I have to play 20 questions with them to try to sort them out.

We get that on our email ring - Mr and Mrs X have a booking for the 25th of May - are they one of yours?

At least he had the phone number! A regular summer occurence here is the ringing of the doorbell by someone who has no idea where they are supposed to be staying. No confirmation. Nothing. I have to play 20 questions with them to try to sort them out..
Too damn nice... then again, I live in the city, it could be any of over 500 places.

Funny! Keep us posted on this one! (we may all be in the old geezer's place someday)
Please don't tell me they're from Arkansas.

At least he had the phone number! A regular summer occurence here is the ringing of the doorbell by someone who has no idea where they are supposed to be staying. No confirmation. Nothing. I have to play 20 questions with them to try to sort them out..
Too damn nice... then again, I live in the city, it could be any of over 500 places.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Here it's less than 10. It's still a job!
We've had calls asking us if we can help the caller find the address for the inn 'with the dogs & kids'. Because 'we liked it there so much and we want to send them a Christmas card!'
Liked it so much but can't remember the name and want me to figure it out for them! Why me? What are the odds of getting MY phone number over theirs?

Proud Texan said:
Should I just keep the money or talk him in as he approaches town? WWJBD (What would Joey Blogs Do?)
Thats good!

Oh yea, I have spent many a summer day calling around for people who show up thinking they may have a reservation here...not. Amazing. I expect to see less of that now that many people are using their portable devices to store confirmations.

Funny! Keep us posted on this one! (we may all be in the old geezer's place someday)
Please don't tell me they're from Arkansas..
He made it! Used to be a truck driver, he told me this a.m. and he just wrote down what DH told him. Was here in less than 10 minutes from the time he called.

Never knew PT and Mtatoc were the same couple. Guess I missed something along the way.

He made it! Used to be a truck driver, he told me this a.m. and he just wrote down what DH told him. Was here in less than 10 minutes from the time he called.
Mtatoc said:
Oh yeah! So they ended up being good to go, I like that. Unfortunately for us, we don't know he is a truck driver, and what we have are people driving 2 hours to go 10 miles...doh!
I think a blog needs to be written about truck drivers. Common sense. The things you CAN'T DO if you are hauling tractor trailers...you might drive a bit differently then thinking you are invinsible, driving down dark gravel roads into the woods in the wee hours! haha

Never knew PT and Mtatoc were the same couple. Guess I missed something along the way..
Arkansawyer said:
Never knew PT and Mtatoc were the same couple. Guess I missed something along the way.
I've been with her for 30+ years. She has a lot of dirt on me.
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
I've been with her for 30+ years. She has a lot of dirt on me.
thumbs_up.gif

Mtatoc said:
Oh yeah! So they ended up being good to go, I like that. Unfortunately for us, we don't know he is a truck driver, and what we have are people driving 2 hours to go 10 miles...doh!
I think a blog needs to be written about truck drivers. Common sense. The things you CAN'T DO if you are hauling tractor trailers...you might drive a bit differently then thinking you are invinsible, driving down dark gravel roads into the woods in the wee hours! haha
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
I think a blog needs to be written about truck drivers. Common sense. The things you CAN'T DO if you are hauling tractor trailers...
MAP READING

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
I think a blog needs to be written about truck drivers. Common sense. The things you CAN'T DO if you are hauling tractor trailers...
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
P, this is the funny part, 95% of our guests don't even have a map with them. It is a peeve of mine, how can you travel across country with no road atlas? WHAT THE!
whattha.gif

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
P, this is the funny part, 95% of our guests don't even have a map with them. It is a peeve of mine, how can you travel across country with no road atlas? WHAT THE!
whattha.gif

I am peeved with myself when I realize the state map isn't in the car where I left it. If I want to go somewhere that I've heard of and have a vague idea of where it is, I would rather have the map than drive all over looking for something I might miss by one intersection!

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

It boggles the mind, it does.
I am teaching the kids to read maps, draw maps, understand maps- I don't care if they like it or not. If their precious GPS doesn't work or has a malfunction, at least my kids will be able to look at a map and know North from West
shades_smile.gif

I can't tell you how frustrated I get about this.... grrrrrr

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

I am teaching the kids to read maps, draw maps, understand maps- I don't care if they like it or not. If their precious GPS doesn't work or has a malfunction, at least my kids will be able to look at a map and know North from West
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

Map reading/toting IMVHO is like tying your shoes, you should never leave home without them secured and in your posession. I actually home schooled my oldest DD all through middle school because in 6th grade she couldn't find France of Oklahoma for that matter. Not the only reason, but it was the straw so to speak. It was a great experience and she is now in grad school with 2 bachelor degrees under her belt. Because of this my middle one also a DD could read when she started kindergarten.
GPS systems go out of range, some back roads are not shown. MAPS! Never leave home without one, and learn how to fold one when you are done if it isn't an atlas type. Maps are worth their wieght in gold when you are in a rural area at night.

Mtatoc said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
MAP READING
whattha.gif

shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
shades_smile.gif

The job of my Daddy's life was his year or so as a truck driver for a major moving company - Mom made him quit because she got tired of him being on the road all the time. BIG mistake, but that is another story.
Daddy taught all of us how to read a road map and follow a route sign as soon as we knew our numbers. When anyone asks me about traveling, I tell the truth - give me a road map and a route sign, throw in a tank of gas and I am ready to go. I have gotten shocked looks when traveling by myself, both in a car and on my motorcycle. I guess they just could not imagine a woman being able to travel by herself.

Back