A likely story - sneaky "business" guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
You know me, I give discounts to guests. But when they are liars I have a hard time with it.
Do you offer a corporate rate? Yes.
She shows with man in tow and a ton of luggage. Ok, well maybe she will enjoy her stay and tell her friends and coworkers. At this point I figure I have been duped again. (Duped is the word of the week fyi - duped meaning they show with a kid, extra person, dog, whatever they did not say when they booked!)
They take forever to check out - I am here waiting, because all her phone calls indicated she had an early 'business' appt today.
He comes down wearing cargo shorts and sunglasses, then she does. Okay. He asks about going past a certain town as they head down to Asheville to a spa. Asheville? On business? On a Friday? uh huh.
Then I send the usual thank you email and get "I am out of the office on vacation contact so and so if you need assistance."
So basically it comes down to "I work therefore I am - a business guest" whatever. It is the dishonesty I do not like. I would treat her/them just as nice if she was honest.
Hopefully she will write us a nice review or tell her friends. I won't jeapardize that now, there really is no point.

For this person, showing up with 'friend' in tow, I would have charged the full rate, explaining that the biz rate is single occ only.

I agree with Bree. I had many business guests, all needed their own room, as it was business related. They got discounts.
Later they came back with husband in tow, but letting me know at reservation time that it is for pleasure not business. Gave another discount for repeat guests :)

I can sympathize! We don't get business guests, but every time I get a booking and they ask about the cancellation policy, I can just about guarantee that it's a waste of time for me to confirm the booking. And they always order all kinds of extras. At least the one that cancelled this time did it today for May 8 so I have plenty of time to rebook. Said just found out wife is pregnant. Well, maybe they have been "trying" for a while and it's genuine.
Last one called and left a message the night before check in day. You can bet I put the deposit through before calling him back. He mentioned in the message he wanted to see "What we could do".
Riki

Hey, Junie, what about emailing the night before check in on business guests a quick email stating, "We're all ready for your check in, looking forward to hosting you" email and seeing if you receive a "out on vacation" response, print it, and present it on check in!!!! HEE HEE
RIki

I can sympathize! We don't get business guests, but every time I get a booking and they ask about the cancellation policy, I can just about guarantee that it's a waste of time for me to confirm the booking. And they always order all kinds of extras. At least the one that cancelled this time did it today for May 8 so I have plenty of time to rebook. Said just found out wife is pregnant. Well, maybe they have been "trying" for a while and it's genuine.
Last one called and left a message the night before check in day. You can bet I put the deposit through before calling him back. He mentioned in the message he wanted to see "What we could do".
Riki.
I'm always amazed at how guests think pregnancy is a world-shattering event. So what, his wife is pregnant- she hopefully will continue to be so until a goodly sum of time has passed- is he going to stay home from work, refuse to travel for work the entire time?
And the guests who HAVE to change their rooms because of being pregnant- NO stairs, NO excessive walking, NO this and NO that. (But they spend 10 hours out shopping.)
(Apologies to those for whom pregnancy was difficult at best or impossible altogether. I'm talking about perfectly healthy pregnancies.)

Riki.
I'm always amazed at how guests think pregnancy is a world-shattering event. So what, his wife is pregnant- she hopefully will continue to be so until a goodly sum of time has passed- is he going to stay home from work, refuse to travel for work the entire time?
And the guests who HAVE to change their rooms because of being pregnant- NO stairs, NO excessive walking, NO this and NO that. (But they spend 10 hours out shopping.)
(Apologies to those for whom pregnancy was difficult at best or impossible altogether. I'm talking about perfectly healthy pregnancies.)
Bree said:
Speaking of preggers - I went out to Booker T monument/birthplace farm to see the spring baby lambs yesterday and there weren't any! I was so bummed. The ranger said and I paraphrase -- the youths are not old enough and the ewes are too old. So next year we should have a bumper crop of lambies. boo hoo hoo

Riki.
Well if she is really pregnant, for us that is an excuse, since they booked the stay and wine tour package. They usually then come back for a vacation and sleep and when then can finally have a glass of wine again.
Riki

Riki.
Well if she is really pregnant, for us that is an excuse, since they booked the stay and wine tour package. They usually then come back for a vacation and sleep and when then can finally have a glass of wine again.
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
I thought you were saying this was a biz guest who cancelled because his wife is pregnant!

Riki.
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
I thought you were saying this was a biz guest who cancelled because his wife is pregnant!
oops no I was just talking in general about people "pulling stuff". We don't get business travelers in our area, so we get those who book three places and wait until they get here to see which they want to stay in. I think with the recession this little game may stop. The last one just paid the one night cancellation fee through his company. Didn't seem to care.
Riki

Oh, you know that I offer a corporate biz rate Sun-Thurs for single occupancy too. When she showed up with the second person, I would say that the rate no longer applied. I've had it happen and was too surprised to do anything. It was for a job interview where the young lady brought her husband. The room was paid for by the COMPANY who made the reservation for just her. This was the same couple who probably broke our antique sofa too. That's when I made up my mind that I wouldn't let someone take advantage of us on the corporate rate OR maybe someone else who was actually footing the bill. A different scenario was when a young man was interviewing here (also paid for by the company) & on the second night when it looked like they would probably make an offer, he ASKED ME if his girlfriend could join him so that she could check out the town & help him decide if this was the right move. Major difference - he asked. Courtesy goes a looooooooooooooooong way with me!
I have no problem with dealing with this one now & I am a pushover! Awkward, but what can they say?? They knew the "rule" about the corporate rate when they booked which is almost universal :)

Back