A little context would help

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does help is to go and visit some innmates! "No innkeeper is an island"
Once you see them in their innvironment, then you can better understand where they are coming from. I know this is not possible most of the time, but if you can visit one inn per year, say, you would grasp so much more.
We still need to visit other inns, to help in the daily operation of our own. Yes, it is important. To think we never need to visit another inn is ludicrous. If this is our industry, we need to be devoted to keeping abreast of what is going on out there and how other inns operate.
Sure we can glean from the forum, but as mentioned, we don't always "get it." Walking in anothers shoes, so to speak, seeing where they are and how they deal with guests, etc in that environs...well that makes all the difference.
Part of our annual budget s/b to visit other B&B's. And...if you visit innmates you may find the stay is recipricated and you can just pay for the travel. :)
Innvites are open...come and see us here.
Maybe the anon inns to innvite the innmates (sheesh I am getting carries away with the INN prefixes) to their inns. Perhaps the anon innkeepers THINK they ave innvited, but they have not. Or perhaps they don't want any innkeeping fellowship inn person..
It really does help to visit other B&B's for ideas. You can sort out your own style by watching how things are done by visiting friends from here or just staying at B&B's while traveling. I know I've mentioned some of these horrors before, but they are worth repeating for aspirings:
  • If you highlight your fireplaces as an added amenity, they had better be fireplaces and not an electronic picture of a fire with no heat;
  • Your guests don't care if you're leaving on vacation next week and are in the process of 'shutting down the building', they paid full price and they expect full services;
  • If you burn the breakfast, recook it, don't tell the guests to 'eat around the burnt parts';
  • Do not monopolize your guests' time with your sob story or the history of the house;
  • If it is snowing outside, saying you see no reason to ever turn the heat above 60 is NOT gracious hosting;
  • You may love your animals, but they absolutely do not belong in the dining room while guests are eating. Do not continually refer to the 4-legged mop at my feet as 'my precious' while it is attempting to pull food from my plate;
  • Try sleeping in your own rooms and note that the 500w parking lot light shines directly onto the bed ALL NIGHT LONG!
  • There is absolutely no reason a guest's breakfast should be cold when it is placed in front of them. If something distracted you, reheat the damned thing before serving it;
  • Those floor mats in the bathroom? If you're not going to wash them between guests, at least tell housekeeping to shake them out and vacuum them.
OTOH, I have had marvelous visits with innkeepers who totally GET customer service!
  • A full suite of amenities provided (especially useful as my luggage went one way and I the other);
  • Fully recognizable food for breakfast (not everyone appreciates everything laden with sauces);
  • A wonderful array of afternoon refreshments;
  • Appropriate, guest-controlled heating and cooling;
  • CLEAN accommodations.
Ok here is one. I have held this in a long as I could. I hope this is on one on here but check just in case.
If you have a picture on your web site with the toilet seat up you should get it off as soon as you can. I have seen several site like this.
One lady says she has been photographer for 20 years and has a bed and breakfast. She wanted to be put on a list to photograph others bed and breakfast and there are three pictures with the seat up on her site. One is a reflection in a mirror so you get to see it twice. It is like she is showcasing the toilet. I am not sure why anyone would hire her to photograph their inn. I saw another that has the seat up and the towels had been used. Also if your blankets are not straight by all means straighten them. This is so unprofessional looking. I really don't think people would take you serious. Ok I said these things because I think they need to be said. I am really not trying to be mean just honest.
While we are talking toilets...another one is a near empty or EMPTY tp roll. It is just something that catches your eye in a bad way.
That is another one. I see it all the time.
Oh one more thing. Look up at your fans once in a while. I have gone to stay in several b&bs and looked up at the fan and it looked as though it had not been cleaned in a year. I only takes me 5 minutes once a month to keep it clean.
How about all the dust on bathroom fans and furnace air intakes? That looks gross to me.....
yes me too.
I am a very picky person and I met my match, I had a lady that helped me for years before I even had the b&b and she was so awesome I can't tell you. She said she would stand at the door of each room when she was done and look at each wall from the top to the bottom to see if there was anything she missed. She then would look at each piece of furniture to see if everything was perfect. This only took a minute to do but I never forgot her way of doing things.

We all have our blind spots. I have a totally blind family.
shades_smile.gif

I think I told this story from a friend about the dish towel? Walking over it, past it, beyond it, acting like no one saw it until a $10 was placed under it. Now they get picked up all the time. She said it worked miracles in her home.

OK. I understand the need for Anonymity. Actually, I love the stories and the candid opinions that would never be placed on the forum otherwise.
But I do see the point about context as well. A contribution from someone I know to be running a smooth long time operation or someone who has a fantastic blog going on is to me more important, depending on the subject. If there is context I love it, and the forum contribution will be more valuable to me. But if people don't want to tell their background its OK too. Quite frankly, if you follow the forum for some time, and look at all threads the context (and value) shows for all members, even for those that are totally anonymous.
To me the forum is more than just information and validation, it is good fun, I guess it is the joy of recognition! I like the mix on the forum. To those that want to be anonymous, please give the background you feel you can, but don't risk anything. To those that don't register at all - please come out of the closet...........

That is why I wish that my opinion was a little more respected on this forum - to date I have either been a guest in or worked in over 100 B&B's in the past 20 years. I feel as if I've seen it all and I love sharing my knowledge..
suellen222 said:
That is why I wish that my opinion was a little more respected on this forum - to date I have either been a guest in or worked in over 100 B&B's in the past 20 years. I feel as if I've seen it all and I love sharing my knowledge.
I respect your opinion Sue!! I love everything you have shared with me and how helpful you are in trying to get me to my dream. You're the best!
cheers.gif

Once you see them in their innvironment, then you can better understand where they are coming from. I know this is not possible most of the time, but if you can visit one inn per year, say, you would grasp so much more.
We still need to visit other inns, to help in the daily operation of our own. Yes, it is important. To think we never need to visit another inn is ludicrous. If this is our industry, we need to be devoted to keeping abreast of what is going on out there and how other inns operate.
Sure we can glean from the forum, but as mentioned, we don't always "get it." Walking in anothers shoes, so to speak, seeing where they are and how they deal with guests, etc in that environs...well that makes all the difference.
Part of our annual budget s/b to visit other B&B's. And...if you visit innmates you may find the stay is recipricated and you can just pay for the travel. :)
Maybe the anon inns to innvite the innmates (sheesh I am getting carries away with the INN prefixes) to their inns. Perhaps the anon innkeepers THINK they ave innvited, but they have not. Or perhaps they don't want any innkeeping fellowship inn person..
It really does help to visit other B&B's for ideas. You can sort out your own style by watching how things are done by visiting friends from here or just staying at B&B's while traveling. I know I've mentioned some of these horrors before, but they are worth repeating for aspirings:
  • If you highlight your fireplaces as an added amenity, they had better be fireplaces and not an electronic picture of a fire with no heat;
  • Your guests don't care if you're leaving on vacation next week and are in the process of 'shutting down the building', they paid full price and they expect full services;
  • If you burn the breakfast, recook it, don't tell the guests to 'eat around the burnt parts';
  • Do not monopolize your guests' time with your sob story or the history of the house;
  • If it is snowing outside, saying you see no reason to ever turn the heat above 60 is NOT gracious hosting;
  • You may love your animals, but they absolutely do not belong in the dining room while guests are eating. Do not continually refer to the 4-legged mop at my feet as 'my precious' while it is attempting to pull food from my plate;
  • Try sleeping in your own rooms and note that the 500w parking lot light shines directly onto the bed ALL NIGHT LONG!
  • There is absolutely no reason a guest's breakfast should be cold when it is placed in front of them. If something distracted you, reheat the damned thing before serving it;
  • Those floor mats in the bathroom? If you're not going to wash them between guests, at least tell housekeeping to shake them out and vacuum them.
OTOH, I have had marvelous visits with innkeepers who totally GET customer service!
  • A full suite of amenities provided (especially useful as my luggage went one way and I the other);
  • Fully recognizable food for breakfast (not everyone appreciates everything laden with sauces);
  • CLEAN accommodations.
Ok here is one. I have held this in a long as I could. I hope this is on one on here but check just in case.
If you have a picture on your web site with the toilet seat up you should get it off as soon as you can. I have seen several site like this.
One lady says she has been photographer for 20 years and has a bed and breakfast. She wanted to be put on a list to photograph others bed and breakfast and there are three pictures with the seat up on her site. One is a reflection in a mirror so you get to see it twice. It is like she is showcasing the toilet. I am not sure why anyone would hire her to photograph their inn. I saw another that has the seat up and the towels had been used. Also if your blankets are not straight by all means straighten them. This is so unprofessional looking. I really don't think people would take you serious. Ok I said these things because I think they need to be said. I am really not trying to be mean just honest.
While we are talking toilets...another one is a near empty or EMPTY tp roll. It is just something that catches your eye in a bad way.
Oh one more thing. Look up at your fans once in a while. I have gone to stay in several b&bs and looked up at the fan and it looked as though it had not been cleaned in a year. I only takes me 5 minutes once a month to keep it clean.
How about all the dust on bathroom fans and furnace air intakes? That looks gross to me.....
Samster said:
Oh, yes, that one, too. Those we have on more or less a schedule.

That is why I wish that my opinion was a little more respected on this forum - to date I have either been a guest in or worked in over 100 B&B's in the past 20 years. I feel as if I've seen it all and I love sharing my knowledge..
suellen222 said:
That is why I wish that my opinion was a little more respected on this forum - to date I have either been a guest in or worked in over 100 B&B's in the past 20 years. I feel as if I've seen it all and I love sharing my knowledge.
I respect your opinion Sue!! I love everything you have shared with me and how helpful you are in trying to get me to my dream. You're the best!
cheers.gif

Cherry64 - Sorry! I guess that came off a little whiny - family issues that will never get resolved and I was just looking for a little love elsewhere - thank you for thinking I'm ok - sometimes I wonder!

Suellen, we all feel that way once in a while. Do not take it personally. When i get that feeling, I flip the bird to the monitor, say a few choice words, go in a corner and pout a while, and then come back for more.

Double post- had error message.

• CLEAN accommodations.
Samster said:
CROOKED PILLOWS! Oh how I want to reach in and straighten them!!!! This kills me!!!!

Good point..
From my perspective.....if an inn owner is providing information that I am interested in.......or responding to a request I posted.....I can further respond asking for more info.
that's what discussions are about......right ?
Me....I completely understand the anonymity, and won't push the issue.
A general location is appreciated.......like New England, Mid Atlantic, South East, Mid North, Mid Central, Mid South, North West, Mid West, South West.

• CLEAN accommodations.
Samster said:
CROOKED PILLOWS! Oh how I want to reach in and straighten them!!!! This kills me!!!!
Don Draper said:
thumbs_up.gif

Back