A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
O.K. so I know I'm not 20 (or 30, or 40) anymore but what is happening to my body!? When did I become my mother (and my grandmother)??? I am running up and down stairs and cleaning all day, I try to walk every day, I watch what I eat, and yet my clothes are shrinking!
whattha.gif
Is there any hope? Do I have to stop eating completely? I can't imagine getting up any earlier to "work out". I do try to work out on days when I don't have guests but nothing seems to be working. Help!

Join the Club.......Genetics???? Hormones??? You are a woman :)
For some reason..after I had shoulder surgery...the weight really came off. Guess cause it was harder to eat with my left hand????
I actually have had to cut WAAAAAAY back on the food I eat..that was the only thing that really has helped me. And I mean drastically...also more exercising.

Over 50? Menopause hit? Face it, it's over. Women over 50, to maintain the weight they are at right now, have to exercise for one hour/day. That's above and beyond what you do for work, etc. I'm happy I haven't gained any weight, but what I have is moving.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Over 50? Menopause hit? Face it, it's over. Women over 50, to maintain the weight they are at right now, have to exercise for one hour/day. That's above and beyond what you do for work, etc. I'm happy I haven't gained any weight, but what I have is moving.
From all the yummy photos you have posted I am surprised you haven't gained weight. I was going to ask everyone what they ate for breakfast? As I down my oatmeal, hoping to keep the cholesterol levels down, what can I offer to guests that I can eat that won't do me in? For them it's a treat, but everyday? How do you do it? On top of that I am fighting the load shift too. Suddenly, a little elastic in the waistline doesn't seem so awful.
embaressed_smile.gif

From all the yummy photos you have posted I am surprised you haven't gained weight. I was going to ask everyone what they ate for breakfast? As I down my oatmeal, hoping to keep the cholesterol levels down, what can I offer to guests that I can eat that won't do me in? For them it's a treat, but everyday? How do you do it? On top of that I am fighting the load shift too. Suddenly, a little elastic in the waistline doesn't seem so awful.
embaressed_smile.gif

Oatmeal for breakfast every day except for Sunday..when we do scrambled eggs and whole grain toast. And I am just now starting to eat eggs again...very seldom ate them over the past several years. Cholesterol has gone down from 220 to 190..so guess that oatmeal works. I'll stay with it.

embaressed_smile.gif

Who eats that stuff??? Actually, since we moved here I have gained weight. What I'm happy about is that I haven't gained more weight in the past 2-3 years. Part of the weight gain is being sedentary in the winter, tho. Along with the age thing.
DON'T DO THE ELASTIC!!! That's the beginning of the end there! I'm trying to find capris for the summer and everything in JCP is either stretch or side elastic. NO! NO! NO!
The only things I can give guests for snacks that I won't eat are peanut butter cookies. No one ate the choco chip cookies this weekend, so I will.
What I have for brekkie is a glass of OJ, a bowl of cheerios and a hot cocoa (cold choco milk in the summer). Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner, snack is a yogurt with wheat germ and dinner is whatever Gomez makes, I just eat less of it.
You can't stop eating because your metabolism will slow down to conserve energy. You can try do weights everyday to build up muscle mass (which also helps with osteoporosis). Basically, look online for a 'portion size' chart and make sure you're eating real portions and not what we've come to think of as real portions. We older ladies don't need the 2000 calories that the portion police are quoting on labels. So, if a 'portion' of cookies is 3, we can only eat 1!

embaressed_smile.gif

Who eats that stuff??? Actually, since we moved here I have gained weight. What I'm happy about is that I haven't gained more weight in the past 2-3 years. Part of the weight gain is being sedentary in the winter, tho. Along with the age thing.
DON'T DO THE ELASTIC!!! That's the beginning of the end there! I'm trying to find capris for the summer and everything in JCP is either stretch or side elastic. NO! NO! NO!
The only things I can give guests for snacks that I won't eat are peanut butter cookies. No one ate the choco chip cookies this weekend, so I will.
What I have for brekkie is a glass of OJ, a bowl of cheerios and a hot cocoa (cold choco milk in the summer). Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner, snack is a yogurt with wheat germ and dinner is whatever Gomez makes, I just eat less of it.
You can't stop eating because your metabolism will slow down to conserve energy. You can try do weights everyday to build up muscle mass (which also helps with osteoporosis). Basically, look online for a 'portion size' chart and make sure you're eating real portions and not what we've come to think of as real portions. We older ladies don't need the 2000 calories that the portion police are quoting on labels. So, if a 'portion' of cookies is 3, we can only eat 1!
O.K. I confess--I haven't actually bought any real pants with elastic. I tell myself if my pants don't fit I need to lose--but those evening sweat-pants do feel GOOD. DH calls them my sweat-ligees. My main prob. was winter inactivity--it was really cold and blowing so I didn't x-country ski as much. I just sat in my fleece-lined jeans and baked! I never met a cookie I didn't like--and I bake really, really well--
Unfortunately I am what the horse people call an "easy keeper", unless I am running my butt off--it grows. I actually know what to eat and to do, it's just doing it. At one point the Dr. threatened me with meds and I said no--give me a month to be good. I dropped 100 Pt's. and 10lbs. I need to do it again--for me it's simple just eat well and STAY AWAY from the baked goods, Generally we are both "strong as an oxes" and "healthy as horses"--he is a runner talk about a metabolisim!
I do fear that if I am baking goodies, I will eat them-- including breakfasts. I HAVE to give it away or freeze it. Let's hope assuming we do open --the physical work will balance this off. Meanwhile, I will avoid those tempting elastic waists!

embaressed_smile.gif

Oatmeal for breakfast every day except for Sunday..when we do scrambled eggs and whole grain toast. And I am just now starting to eat eggs again...very seldom ate them over the past several years. Cholesterol has gone down from 220 to 190..so guess that oatmeal works. I'll stay with it.
Oatmeal really DOES work, the Dr. told be to add blueberries to give it an extra "punch"-- tastes good too. I add walnuts (omega 3 fatty acids) and sometimes instead of blueberries do raisins (iron) with cinnamon and molasses instead of sugar.

Country Girl said:
O.K. so I know I'm not 20 (or 30, or 40) anymore but what is happening to my body!?
Just the same old normal stuff that happens to all of us women around the time we hit the 50 mark.
Different metabolisms for different decades, I'm afraid. It's hard to fight mother nature.

embaressed_smile.gif

O.K. I confess--I haven't actually bought any real pants with elastic. I tell myself if my pants don't fit I need to lose--but those evening sweat-pants do feel GOOD. DH calls them my sweat-ligees. My main prob. was winter inactivity--it was really cold and blowing so I didn't x-country ski as much. I just sat in my fleece-lined jeans and baked! I never met a cookie I didn't like--and I bake really, really well--
Unfortunately I am what the horse people call an "easy keeper", unless I am running my butt off--it grows. I actually know what to eat and to do, it's just doing it. At one point the Dr. threatened me with meds and I said no--give me a month to be good. I dropped 100 Pt's. and 10lbs. I need to do it again--for me it's simple just eat well and STAY AWAY from the baked goods, Generally we are both "strong as an oxes" and "healthy as horses"--he is a runner talk about a metabolisim!
I do fear that if I am baking goodies, I will eat them-- including breakfasts. I HAVE to give it away or freeze it. Let's hope assuming we do open --the physical work will balance this off. Meanwhile, I will avoid those tempting elastic waists!
white pine said:
Uh oh, hate to tell you that the additional physical work is not really going to help. Make you tired, yup! When my Dr. told me I had to "exercise", I looked at him with total dismay and I had to pick up my jaw from the floor. "I work/move all day long" I told him. Know what he said? "It doesn't matter!". I wanted to punch him. Unfortunately, he was right. Once I started an actual exercise routine on the treadmill, I started to lose weight. Damn! Now it's a few years later, I've gotten "lazy" and put the weight back on. Time to dust off the treadmill
cry_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

white pine said:
Uh oh, hate to tell you that the additional physical work is not really going to help. Make you tired, yup! When my Dr. told me I had to "exercise", I looked at him with total dismay and I had to pick up my jaw from the floor. "I work/move all day long" I told him. Know what he said? "It doesn't matter!". I wanted to punch him. Unfortunately, he was right. Once I started an actual exercise routine on the treadmill, I started to lose weight. Damn! Now it's a few years later, I've gotten "lazy" and put the weight back on. Time to dust off the treadmill
cry_smile.gif

Not the treadmill! Sigh--I fear you speak the truth. DH has left to do some "field work" for 2 weeks & I made him take the cookies. I stocked the house with healthy foods, and will start walking tonight. Here's Hoping! Want to be a lean mean inn-keeping machine...

embaressed_smile.gif

white pine said:
cry_smile.gif

Not the treadmill! Sigh--I fear you speak the truth. DH has left to do some "field work" for 2 weeks & I made him take the cookies. I stocked the house with healthy foods, and will start walking tonight. Here's Hoping! Want to be a lean mean inn-keeping machine...
white pine said:
Want to be a lean mean inn-keeping machine...
Don't we all.

embaressed_smile.gif

white pine said:
cry_smile.gif

There are 2 forms of 'exercise'- there's 'lifestyle' or the stuff you just do on a daily basis, no matter how much or little that is. Then there's 'exercise'- the stuff we almost all avoid! This is the walk or the swim or the jog that we have to force ourselves to do!
I used to walk 1 mile round trip to and from my car at work. My office was 1 mile from my clients, I walked. Several times/day. In a work day I probably put in 5-6 miles. Then my friends & I walked at lunch time another 2 miles. So, I got the lifestyle- and the exercise- exercise all done at work!

embaressed_smile.gif

white pine said:
cry_smile.gif

There are 2 forms of 'exercise'- there's 'lifestyle' or the stuff you just do on a daily basis, no matter how much or little that is. Then there's 'exercise'- the stuff we almost all avoid! This is the walk or the swim or the jog that we have to force ourselves to do!
I used to walk 1 mile round trip to and from my car at work. My office was 1 mile from my clients, I walked. Several times/day. In a work day I probably put in 5-6 miles. Then my friends & I walked at lunch time another 2 miles. So, I got the lifestyle- and the exercise- exercise all done at work!
Yup. Lifestyle changes! Back in my prime archaeologist days, l walked up to 20 miles a day on foot during "survey". "Shovel testing" was the same only slower--you carry a shovel, and dig holes every several yards, passing soil thu 1/4" mesh. Mosquitoes, snakes, poison ivy, hostile land-owners!
I actually walked across OH, PA, and part of NY! Also NE and WY! Then the high altitude excavations by back-pack in Mexico!
Talk about a crazy way to make a living! At least I am not short of good stories for the guests! Still active, and still do some field work with DH, but I think I will prefer to walk the miles on the trails. Saw a pine marten the other day, and the trumpeter swans are nesting...

One of my friends just posted this on FaceBook - a timely post in answer to this thread:
With time, women gain weight because we accumulate so much information & wisdom in our heads that when there is no more room, it distributes out to the rest our bodies. So we aren't heavy , we are enormously cultured, educated & happy. Beginning today, when I look at my butt in the mirror I will think, Good Grief~look how smart I am~ Hope this helps!

One of my friends just posted this on FaceBook - a timely post in answer to this thread:
With time, women gain weight because we accumulate so much information & wisdom in our heads that when there is no more room, it distributes out to the rest our bodies. So we aren't heavy , we are enormously cultured, educated & happy. Beginning today, when I look at my butt in the mirror I will think, Good Grief~look how smart I am~ Hope this helps!.
cheers.gif

There's probably a lot more going on than you realize that's contributing to keeping the inn-pounds on. I know I didn't see it when I was running the inn. Lack of a regular sleep schedule, stress, worse eating habits than we realize, lack of real cardio exercise, and so forth. Unfortunately, a lot of us put ourselves last on the list and take care of everyone else first. :-( After 6 weeks without guests, I'm still working on making time to take better care of me but I'm already better rested. It's taking awhile to change the bad habits but we can all do it!

With time, women gain weight because we accumulate so much information & wisdom in our heads that when there is no more room, it distributes out to the rest our bodies. So we aren't heavy , we are enormously cultured, educated & happy. Beginning today, when I look at my butt in the mirror I will think, Good Grief~look how smart I am~ Hope this helps!.
It helps immensely.

Back