A More like expected Air Experience

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skamokawa

Reaction score
Some of you know that recently we had an Air guest book with us then cancel. She explained that she had double booked and had to back out of her visit with us. I replied no problem, and told her about some local attractions she shouldn't miss. She replied saying she liked my note so much she canceled the other booking and rebooked with me. All well and good until the next message says Air has now charged her for two cancellations in less than 24 hours. I replied that we don't see any $ until after the guest has stayed the first day, so we don't have any $ to refund. She asked if there was anything I could do with Air to help. So I went to the site and followed their directions for asking for help. I explained the situation and how it would be a bit of a handicap to have to overcome a guest's negative feelings about Air policy in order to help the guest have an enjoyable stay. I got the standard kind of reply about the non refundable fee making it possible for everyone to enjoy the service. I then wrote to the guest explaining my inability to help.
Then a satisfaction survey arrived that actually had a space where I could explain the problem, that I now faced having to mollify a guest over a policy not of my making, and that I would likely be a less effusive host going forward in order for the circumstance to not arise again.
Today I got a phone call from air guest relations in Portland, OR. The representative said the survey response had been reviewed and the next phone call would be to the guest informing her that the cancelation fees would be dropped.
This process took a week. I never expected a personal touch or a positive outcome. But it has happened.
Is the moon blue tonight?
ALAS. No Blue Moon. The Rest of the story.
I have to add that the guest later informed me that the booking was canceled again and that Air DID keep the booking fee. I phoned the guest relations number, explained what happened to the representative, and was again told they don't refund the fees and the representative who phoned me yesterday was in error. At this point I seem to be out the booking plus a lot of time. That has become an exercise in "No good deed..."
I wonder if I will get another one of those satisfaction surveys.
sigh.

I'm seeing more and more evidence that Air is trying, really trying, to be good to both the guests and owners.
Maybe they're getting tired of being sued all the time!

In all of this bother (sorry you had to go through it) rests the reason we are determined to go without OTA type stuff. We tried Expedia and we tried Booking and we walked away from both because they simply can not provide satisfaction as their primary goal and that leaves the small guy taking the rap. I just couldn't get comfortable telling a guest that I could not help them and that hey had to talk to the man.

At least the guest knows you tried. After all, they made the error in overbooking themselves.
The one thing I do like about booking is if the guest wants to argue with me about the cancellation fee, I give them bookings number and let them explain it to them.
Altho, they were aggressive in stating we should forgive cancelations due to weather in areas of the country that have nothing to do with us. That annoyed me.

So now this person knows there is a way to get her cancellation charges removed the next time she double books using Air.

So now this person knows there is a way to get her cancellation charges removed the next time she double books using Air..
Copperhead said:
So now this person knows there is a way to get her cancellation charges removed the next time she double books using Air.
Keep reading. I don't think it worked out for the guest.

So now this person knows there is a way to get her cancellation charges removed the next time she double books using Air..
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Oh, I didn't read the follow up part later! Sorry she missed out on a reservation but I hope the guest learned a lesson in double booking.

At least the guest knows you tried. After all, they made the error in overbooking themselves.
The one thing I do like about booking is if the guest wants to argue with me about the cancellation fee, I give them bookings number and let them explain it to them.
Altho, they were aggressive in stating we should forgive cancelations due to weather in areas of the country that have nothing to do with us. That annoyed me..
Yes love that they deal with the cancelations. I can't say I'll never do the friendly follow up again. But I won't go out of my way again with Air. Just commiserate with the guest and wish them well with THEIR efforts :)

Back