A neat Tripadvisor idea.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
I was cruising the reviews and one inn from here posts a management response to the positive reviews. It came across as very caring and cool. It made it seems as if the guests really connected with the innkeepers. I know add it to the ever growing list of things to do on a daily basis but it does really add to the positive review.

When I am looking at review sites I do not want to see the innkeeper's glowing, 'Thank you so much for your lovely review, we really enjoyed having you stay with us.' I want to read reviews and the innkeeper comments clutter up the page. If there is a bad review (poor or terrible) then I want to read what the innkeeper has to say about that. If there are no innkeeper comments on a bad review and the review is more than a month old, I take into consideration the innkeeper may not give a care what I have to say about anything. The innkeeper reply is insight into the innkeeper rather than the situation.
So, take it off your list, it isn't really going to impact what the guest is looking at. At least this guest. And it may make some guests leery of booking.

This was done very well. Not just a thank type of thing. I also thought it was an insight into the innkeeper. It was another avenue to communicate with the guests. Sort of like Twitter but only to your prospective guests.

I used to do that also. I kept my innkeeper comments short & it didn't take any time. I probably picked it up from the innkeeper here that you mentioned. :) I thought it was cool because it showed that the innkeeper actually READ the reviews, and responded to all of them whether they were glowing, just regular, or maybe less than stellar. To me, it showed that the innkeeper didn't just jump on there when attacked by a negative review. Just my 2 cents....

I reply to good ones now and again. For example we have a couple who comes to us every 6 weeks and request the same room and they left a really nice review. I knew it was them from what they said and I wanted them to know I appreciated it. If I can't tell I don't bother.

The only thing I think of not doing this is I really try to make all my guests feel like they top on the list. I really do have people that are my very favorites but I can't put that glowing response to them without others wondering if I were being truthful when I told them what a awesome guest they were. I am being truthful but I have my favorites too. The makes me tend not to reply. If I know who they are I might pop them an e-mail to say thank you for the wonderful review.

I could really be in the minority here, but when I see that there's an owner's response to every review, it kind of creeps me out. I'm not sure why! I think one every now and then responding in a general way could be good.

I could really be in the minority here, but when I see that there's an owner's response to every review, it kind of creeps me out. I'm not sure why! I think one every now and then responding in a general way could be good..
Could it be because it seems that the owner is hovering and much too interested in reviews? Like they're checking all the time?

I could really be in the minority here, but when I see that there's an owner's response to every review, it kind of creeps me out. I'm not sure why! I think one every now and then responding in a general way could be good..
Could it be because it seems that the owner is hovering and much too interested in reviews? Like they're checking all the time?
InnBloom said:
Yes - none of us are doing that!!

I think replying to the good ones sometimes is fine but every time i agree looks like you don't have enough to do. Like I said I reply if I can tell who they are but the review simply says we had a nice time then i won't as I can tell they are trying to be annonomyous and I show I know who they are it defeates their object,
For example we have a lovely one for a large group we had stay and there is no way we could not have known it was them. So I feel it was fine to reply but other people clearly don't want to be identified and i don't know if you know when you do a response it tells them.

InnBloom said:
I feel like that. In a way it implies, to me, the innkeepers will be hovering during my stay as well. Or hinting about leaving a review. And I don't know why I would get this impression because I know innkeepers who post comments on good reviews and they are not hoverers.

Well i should have just quoted the one I saw as they used the response to highlight the season. Paraphrasing but it close to, "We are glad you enjoyed it. The falls leaves are just now starting to fall and we are waiting to avoid raking twice." It was a bit better thought out so that is made you envision a leave covered lawn on a beautiful fall day. I would have been psyched to go visit then and there.
Now one of the great things about this forum is you can get the input of a lot really detailed and informed folks. Sure it can come across as a little gruff but you certianly know what they were trying to say. haahhaa

to each his own style.
cheers.gif

Well i should have just quoted the one I saw as they used the response to highlight the season. Paraphrasing but it close to, "We are glad you enjoyed it. The falls leaves are just now starting to fall and we are waiting to avoid raking twice." It was a bit better thought out so that is made you envision a leave covered lawn on a beautiful fall day. I would have been psyched to go visit then and there.
Now one of the great things about this forum is you can get the input of a lot really detailed and informed folks. Sure it can come across as a little gruff but you certianly know what they were trying to say. haahhaa.
cheers.gif

Back